Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Photos of 10th Annual Lava Lounge Luau - Maikai Gents w/Setzer Bass Man & Blue Hawaiians

Pages: 1 9 replies

Aloha, Friends!

The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa have returned to Los Angeles and we can't wait to see you this coming Thursday, August 7 at the 10th Annual Lava Lounge Luau. We've got new tunes for you and The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa has some beautiful new moves thanks to her recent two weeks of hula study in the Hawaiian Islands. This is going to be a great show with one of our favorite bands, The Blue Hawaiians playing their beautiful brand of exotica. Doors open at 8:30, preferential entrance for those tropically attired, and be sure to dip into the punch bowl, as it's complementary for all attendees! As a token of Lava Lounge's appreciation of your support over the years, this is going to be a FREE show! In order to take advantage of this generous offer you must R.S.V.P. ahead of time by going to http://www.lavahollywood.com then click on "events" and then click on "rsvp here" which will appear in the upper right-hand corner. If you show up without being on the list, the door charge will be $10. To see the exquisite poster for this event please visit
http://www.enflyer.com/s/v?ib=9;33212;54418;-1;30267;157
Lava Lounge is located at 1533 N. La Brea just north of Sunset in Hollywood (323)876-6612
This will certainly be an evening of magical musical merriment - island style, so please join us in your finest aloha attire for old-time Hawaiian crooning, exotica and free punch! See you Thursday.

-The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa

-Feel free to pass this info along to anyone you think may enjoy it.

-Look for us to appear at the upcoming Long Beach Tiki Beach Festival August 23-24

-A brand-new gleaming fun-filled website is coming soon! It will be where our current page is now: http://www.mkgents.com come on over for a visit and be sure to sign our guest book

-This is a Los Angeles Times' Calendarlive featured event! http://events.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Music-CalendarSearch!EventDetail-81766,00.html

Sway your hula hips over to http://www.mkgents.com

[ Edited by: Iuka Grogg on 2003-08-09 12:58 ]

I'll be there with my best shirt and girl!

IG

Aloha, Gang!

Well our usual (yet strangely unusual) bass player, Kiwini Hekili Hoku, is about to become a new father this week. We congratulate him, but it means he'll be missing out on the fabulous Lava Lounge show this Thursday August 7. Fear not, we have exciting news! John Hatton, who rounds out the rhythm section of The Brian Setzer Orchestra will be filling in, giving The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa a bit of that upright-bass zing! What a night this is going to be and all I can say is, Don't Miss This! See you Thursday.

-Iuka Grogg

T

Judd,

Glad you were able to find a bass player. I'm gonna really try to make it.

P.S. had a good time Sunday!

How did you hook that up, Judd? Hatton is one hell of a bass player.

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-08-04 18:24 ]

IG

In regards to getting into the show, here's what you MUST do per Lava Lounge policy:

1. Your name MUST be on the r.s.v.p. list. The door will be very strict about this. Be sure you are not with someone who counted you as a "+1" Get your name on the list!

2. You MUST wear aloha attire. Again, the door is going to be ruthless and let folks in based on their apparel . This is their own private luau and they want the guests dressed appropriately. So dig up that flowery shirt, shine up your kukui nuts and get your muumuu pressed, it'll be fun.

3. Be there early. The punch is free while it lasts. We will go on sometime after nine.

Mahalo for following the rules on this one. Keeping all this in mind, you're sure to have a dreamy evening of tropical isle entertainment. We can't wait to see you all.

IG

All these rules are certainly not meant to scare anyone off! Just so you all know, we'll be playing another Free show on August 20 back at Kulak's Woodshed in North Hollywood. Details to come!

-Iuka Grogg

I have to wear a hawaiian shirt? damn I hope I have one.

Aloha, friends!

What a great time we had the other night. Thanks to all of you who made it out to share in this evening of island dreams. We love seeing the Tiki Central crowd and on this evening, we got to hang with Johnnie and Lady Velour, The Chikitikis, Floratina, Crazy Al, King Kukulele, Tiki Pug, MTKahuna, the Wersmo Derincs, who else? Please remind me, there was such a crowd!
Here are some pictures. Enjoy!

Crazy Al gives us one of his legendary intros

The Maikai Gents with John "Spazz" Hatton on bass. Can you spot the hidden Tiki Centralite?

Floratina Ford Coppola getting the perfect shot!

Spreading the spirit of Aloha

How many Tiki Centralites can you find in this one?

A fine time was had by all!

Man! I swear, if this place was closer to home I'd be there for every show. I have a problem when I get too close to booze, it's tough to regulate the intake sometimes. My friends also suffer from the same condition = no sober driver.

Judd, sweet beard. You never told me how you hooked up with Hatton.

Pages: 1 9 replies