Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

BOWLI HAI - new tiki bowling center coming to Atlanta GA

Pages: 1 20 replies

Hi everybody! I'm really happy to be able to finally announce this: I'm building a tiki themed bowling center in Atlanta called "BOWLI HAI," and we're set to open in the summer of 2016!

Having been a fan huge fan of theme parks for my entire life, my goal is to create the same degree of storytelling and "place making" that exists in the Disney and Universal parks. That means a night sky overhead, a lush jungle surrounding you, and an active volcano in the distance (that erupts)!

There's still a long road ahead before opening day, and I'd love to get feedback from die-hard tiki fans about what we're doing and how we can make the best tiki bowling experience in the world. For now, check out the concept art on our website and please tell me what you think: http://www.bowlihai.com

Thanks everybody! Your feedback and thoughts are extremely appreciated and will be instrumental in making Bowli Hai a truly special place.

-Chris Wallace

Congratulations on the this endeavor. I cannot wait to experience it! Atlanta needs more Tiki!

Thanks! Atlanta sure does need more tiki - and the WORLD needs more tiki bowling! Such a shame that all the old tiki lanes are lost! The only remaining "tiki bowling" places that are currently around don't take the theming nearly far enough (IMHO).

Wow! How exciting! Really loving the concept sketches I've seen.
Looking forward to more details.

Jonathan

F

Im with Tiki-Atari. The sketches look amazing. Flights are cheap between Austin and Atlanta... Now I have a reason to go!

Wow thanks! We should be opening around June of next year - and the grand opening is going to be QUITE a party. Would love to have you!

where in the ATL will this be located?

We'll announce the address in the next couple of weeks, but in general we'll be on the north side of Atlanta in the Perimeter area.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jul 8, 2015 10:40 PM

Awesome sketches! GROG like.

J

I love this! I often thought if I ever won the lottery I would love to open a tiki bowling alley. I'm so glad somebody is doing it, and it looks like you're going the right direction.

I'd love to get feedback from die-hard tiki fans about what we're doing and how we can make the best tiki bowling experience in the world.

My only concern is that it not go too cartoony. The sketches look great! But please don't paint the tikis bright garish Florida colors. Go deep with the carves and use varying earth tones to show the detail. Avoid the Party City look and keep the colors in the foliage, flowers, and upholstery.

I also encourage you to have really good cocktails using fresh ingredients and quality spirits. And as a former bowler, I ask that the food can be eaten with utensils. Nothing worse than picking up a bowling ball to find it covered in french fry grease from the last person who used it, or getting the grease from the lanes on your burger when you use your hands.

I cannot agree with JenTiki more on every point she made. Please stay away from the Party City version of Tiki. I know you will be working with different construction materials throughout. Are you thinking wood in the functional areas and hardier material in the alleys?

J

On 2015-07-09 08:31, Rum Journey wrote:
I cannot agree with JenTiki more on every point she made.

Wow! I don't believe I've ever heard that in the whole 9 years I've been on TC! I guess there's a first for everything! :lol:

I COMPLETELY agree. We're going for a trader sams/tiki room vibe, with the indoor/outdoor ambiance of places like the Mexico pavilion at EPCOT. We're actually trying to steer clear of kitsch (for the most part) and shoot more for a fantastical/theatrical/adventurous feel. Not exactly "serious," but not a joke either.

M

You are in my backyard.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make the drinks fresh, authentic, and tasty.

There is not enough Tiki cocktailing here beside Tiki Tuesday at Bookhouse and of course TV. This town has gone way overboard with whiskey and scotch. People look at you like you're crazy when you ask what rums they have.

I have heard of development going on down in Fourth Ward. Small, hole in the wall, all farm-to-glass with classic recipes but that is a long way to go from Perimeter and the don't have bowling!!

Cool. I pinned one of your sketches to my Pinterest page.

[ Edited by: Juan Cena 2015-07-12 12:28 ]

Hey Chris,
Love the concept and the sketches ! Let me know if I can be of any help on the project, have chisels will travel.

M

Ha, Me too, at least if you need any help.

I live in the area and am in real estate.

I have a full Tiki bar at my house with some serious experience making and drinking cocktails. I have been trying to convince a friend that owns a liquor store to partner on a dive tiki bar, think Tiki Ti, in the area (or just a little south, ala Buckhead). I really think with the right marketing and vibe and of course cocktails it would kill it.

F
Fugu posted on Tue, Jul 14, 2015 8:19 PM

This is so exciting! Can't wait to check it out when it opens!

On 2015-07-13 14:39, mmaurice wrote:
Ha, Me too, at least if you need any help.

I live in the area and am in real estate.

I have a full Tiki bar at my house with some serious experience making and drinking cocktails. I have been trying to convince a friend that owns a liquor store to partner on a dive tiki bar, think Tiki Ti, in the area (or just a little south, ala Buckhead). I really think with the right marketing and vibe and of course cocktails it would kill it.

Not to hijack the thread, but I would love to see more Tiki establishments in Atlanta. The Buckhead area would be the perfect place for a good bar with the right combination of food and cocktails.

Howdy Chris!

I love the idea of Bowli Hai and am eagerly awaiting additional details.

Any more news you can share?

Mahalo Mucho!

N

Pages: 1 20 replies