Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What to drink at Don the Beachcomber HB

Pages: 1 10 replies

W

I'm reluctant to start a new topic but the older ones I checked on D the B didn't look like they should be resurrected anytime soon, so with some trepidation...

I'm going to be celebrating a birthday at Don's and the wahine has graciously agreed to serve as designated driver. Which 5 drinks can you guys recommend (and in what order?) :) I think the only drink I've had there before is a Mai Tai and that was before I had become a johnny-come-lately thinks-he-now-knows-it-all tiki cocktail snob.

I was thinking Three Dots and A Dash, Zombie, Rum Barrel..

[ Edited by: wupput 2015-07-27 15:55 ]

I really liked the Zombie myself, and the only other drink I've tried there was a Mai Tai, which had pineapple juice.

K

How long are you going to be there? ...because I had about 5 drinks last Saturday and ended up losing most of it into a Target bag in my car. Haha, I also haven't had any booze in awhile and didn't eat much, so that's entirely on me. That being said...

Their zombie and 151 Swizzle are legit and they still have a supply of Lemon Hart. They really do hit strong though! Personally I like to dance around the classics that I can make at home and go for something different - Pi Yi, Hurricane (different than Pat O'Brien's), and Vicious Virgin. Their Rum Barrel is probably my go-to and favorite variation of the drink.

Follow me on Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/keithkocka

[ Edited by: kkocka 2015-07-27 15:48 ]

I really like the Navy Grogs I have had at that location. I would love to hear opinions on how authentic they are there, but they have tasted like I would expect from the recipes I have seen for Classic Don's.

Cheers!

F

I fully second the Rum Barrel. I actually like their Scorpion, too, but people seem to differ on that when I mention it. :wink:
Cheers and have fun!
:drink:

I've only been the once, but the Dr Funk I had there was the best version I've ever had or made.

W

Wow, thank you all. We plan on going a little early for the band and then sticking around for dinner so I should have enough time for several libations. The Rum Barrel is now definite but I'll have to figure out what else. Navy Grog is one of the drinks I make the most frequently so it would be interesting to compare. The only Dr. Funk I ever had was at Trader Sam's and while good, it was a little...funky. I definitely need some Lemon Hart so I think I may have to have a Zombie. I better start drinking now to build up my tolerance!

[ Edited by: wupput 2015-07-29 17:29 ]

My favorite is the Beachcomber's Gold, and I really dig the Navy Grog, but only after I've eaten.

W
wupput posted on Mon, Aug 3, 2015 3:39 PM

We tried the Mai Tai, Navy Grog, and Rum Barrel.

The Mai Tai came completely pre-mixed, just a brownish liquid poured over ice. It tasted of pineapple and citrus with a hint of cinnamon or nutmeg? It wasn't a purists' Mai Tai but it was pretty good.

I didn't see them make the Rum Barrel but for $16 (-5 for happy hour) that was a lot of alcohol in one drink. The flavor was reasonably good. Again, a hint of cinnamon along with the pineapple and passion and citrus.

The Navy Grog was kind of bizarre. I make them all the time and the dominant flavors are grapefruit, honey, and rum. Again, this drink tasted like cinnamon. It was strong though.

I guess they pre-mix many of their exotic cocktails, bottom line.

[ Edited by: wupput 2015-08-03 15:40 ]

K
kkocka posted on Mon, Aug 3, 2015 4:41 PM

Yeah you mentioned a point I forgot to mention - a lot of drinks have that cinnamony type of taste to it, which also means that almost everything tastes the same. I can't tell what exactly it is. A friend said it was pernod but that definitely isn't a pernod taste! I'm disappointed you tried their mai tai and navy grog. :(

W
wupput posted on Mon, Aug 3, 2015 7:41 PM

Definitely not Pernod I would say.

The wahine got the Mai Tai and Navy Grog, I just helped her with them. I wanted to order a Three Dots and a Dash but it is no longer on their menu. And after the Rum Barrel, my drinking session was over... :)

Pages: 1 10 replies