Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Enchanted Cove

Pages: 1 5 replies

TM

Greetings all. This is my first post so be kind.
My home tiki bar is the Enchanted Cove and I've been working on it about a year. My budget is a bit tight, so it's been a slow process. Also while I love the aesthetic, I seem to be having trouble pulling it off myself. Something about my tiki lounge just doesn't quite click for me. I was hoping some more experienced designers could throw some tips my way.
The walls are actually painted in a faux finish to look like a weave or fabric. I was afraid lauhala might be cost prohibitive. The ceiling is covered with a faux tapa cloth (hey, I'm on a budget) The mural I ordered online and the bar I had custom made by a local furniture maker. The big tiki in the corner is a Tiki Diablo tiki I just picked up at Home Depot.

[ Edited by: Tiki Momo 2015-08-06 19:52 ]

That's cute as a low-budget starter! I don't mean that as an insult either. When you're on a budget and new at it, you work with what you can (believe me, I know... We can't even do half that with our kitchen). I like that you've got Stitch in there too :)

G
gitiki posted on Thu, Aug 6, 2015 9:48 PM

I like what you have so far. I think to up the tiki vibe you need to look to lighting. I have a very modest build, too, and I found lighting was key. Colored LED light strings can really change the mood of your room, and don't cost much either.
Your space is cool already, I'd be happy to have a Mai tai there. Good luck with the next phase!

Looking for advice?
My advice would be research. Go thru the tons and tons of home bars and restaurants in the locating tiki threads and study.
everyone has different tastes. You'll know what you like when you see.

Plenty of people on here will tell you whats "tiki" or "polypop" or several other annoying buzz words they created. Doesn't mean thats what you want or like.

I'd put bamboo or trim boards up side to side on the walls of your room. I'd get rid of all the glass in the frames. I'd throw stitch out.... Doesn't mean I'm right and you should do it...because obviously you like it....and the space should be all about what you like.

Study the restaurants. The cool ones are all about the details. Go further back and study the actual cultures all this stuff was loosely based on. Study and look at tons of pics. Find the little details that make you happy.

Don't sweat how long it takes you. Mine took 3 years just for the insides.

Erich

TM

On 2015-08-07 00:35, ErichTroudt wrote:
I'd get rid of all the glass in the frames. I'd throw stitch out....

Getting rid of the glass is an idea. I've noticed I get a bad glare on some of my prints. And the Stitch belongs to my wife, so I tolerate him. :)

I have the Book of Tiki, and I've looked though posts here on tiki central. I see all kinds of things I like, I just have a hard time figuring out how to recreate it. And yes, lighting is a major element. I had to use the flash on my camera to get the pictures to show, but it looks much better in the dark. I would like to get more lighting, a good puffer fish lamp for sure.
Thanks to all for the encouragement!

Congratulations on your space so far and joining TC. Looks like you are trying to include the important elements. It will fill in over time and take on that clutter style. I agree with you as lighting is a key to get it dark and cozy. Ditto on what Erich said...keep looking at other lounges and add things you like. Keep up the collecting and decorating, it takes forever. Mostly have fun and some cocktails.

Pages: 1 5 replies