Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The Official Announcement of The Hukilau 2016

Pages: 1 2 73 replies

Aloha Tiki Central!!

This is the earliest we have announced The Hukilau but we wanted to let you know details as soon as they come available!

June 8 - 12, 2016

*Shag will attend the event
*Shag will give a very special Symposium
*Shag will host Shag's SkyLounge - a live Shag painting with you as the characters - in the revolving Pier Top Lounge
*The Return of the Tiki Tower Takeover
*DIY Tiki Craft Projects - fun for you to take home!
*We are back at the 66! The Hukilau will be held at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66!
*The Hukilau's 15th Anniversary and the Mai-Kai's 60th Anniversary!!

We will announce more details in October when Weekend Passes and some tickets come available.

In the meantime, keep informed by checking our Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/thehukilau
And sign up for news on our Website: http://www.thehukilau.com

We hope to see you in 2016!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,
Tiki Kiliki

The Hukilau

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2015-08-20 10:02 ]

SO excited and happy we're back at the 66! Can't wait to see what the symposiums are. :)

A W E S O M E !

I am so going to be there...

On 2015-08-20 10:20, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
SO excited and happy we're back at the 66! Can't wait to see what the symposiums are. :)

EPCOTExplorer - glad you're coming back! We will run into each other eventually! Ha! Hope California was good to you!

On 2015-08-20 10:46, AceExplorer wrote:

A W E S O M E !

I am so going to be there...

Great AceExplorer! We are looking forward to seeing you in 2016!

Just wanted to let everyone know that Shag will be giving his first Symposium for any Tiki Event ever!!! Tickets for this event will go on sale in October, along with event Passes and Hotel Reservations will go live as well!

We have other really exciting news to be announced soon so keep an eye out here or via Social Media:

http://www.facebook.com/thehukilau
http://www.twitter.com/thehukilau
Instagram: thehukilau

J

Awesome! Any chance there can be more seating available (or a smaller group of people) at the Tiki Terrace Takeover? There were so few tables (and people willing to share) and drinking that much in a spinning room is a tad unsettling.

On 2015-08-26 10:23, JenTiki wrote:
Awesome! Any chance there can be more seating available (or a smaller group of people) at the Tiki Terrace Takeover? There were so few tables (and people willing to share) and drinking that much in a spinning room is a tad unsettling.

JenTiki - we couldn't agree with you more! Yes, there will be additional tables for the Tiki Tower Takeover and also we will be serving Polynesian Tidbits for everyone to snack on while they drink those delicious cocktails! I'm afraid there won't be fewer people though - this event was one of our most popular for 2015! We will definitely do whatever it takes to make the experience extraordinary!

J

On 2015-08-26 13:23, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Yes, there will be additional tables for the Tiki Tower Takeover and also we will be serving Polynesian Tidbits for everyone to snack on while they drink those delicious cocktails!

That's great news! Maybe some nice loungy benches would add some flexibility and keep people moving, rather than camping out for the whole time when others are left standing. Just a thought.

...there will be additional tables for the Tiki Tower Takeover and also we will be serving Polynesian Tidbits for everyone to snack on while they drink those delicious cocktails! I'm afraid there won't be fewer people though - this event was one of our most popular for 2015! We will definitely do whatever it takes to make the experience extraordinary!

This was definitely a highlight of this year's Hukilau. The drinks, the location, the energy in the room... it was all great!

I'll just chime in and say that the room felt relatively crowded with the people and tables that were there. I think I used a table one time for a few minutes and the folks there were perfectly kind when I asked if I could join them.

As the lines were long, I essentially got a drink and then got in the next line and was done with the previous cocktail before I got to the next. No real time for sitting or even putting my drink down.

Yes to adding some food to the event. Since it started around the dinner hour, I had not eaten and by the end of it was relatively... happy! Luckily I had eaten a big lunch.

Any thought to doing this a little bit later? Say... late enough so that it concludes just after sunset? The view would be fairly spectacular.

Looking forward to it again!

S

Though it is a Tiki event, I'd dig a vintage Jet Set theme for an event in that Modern wonder space. I'll dig out my sharkskin suit for the occasion and have Mrs. Swanky in a dress and heels.

On 2015-08-29 07:09, Swanky wrote:
Though it is a Tiki event, I'd dig a vintage Jet Set theme for an event in that Modern wonder space. I'll dig out my sharkskin suit for the occasion and have Mrs. Swanky in a dress and heels.

We got you covered Swanky! On Thursday, June 8, 2016 we plan to transform the Pier Top Lounge into a living Shag painting. Complete with Mid-Century Furnishings, Cocktails and everyone dressed as a characters you'd see on a Shag canvas! The event is called Shag's Sky Lounge! Don't miss it!

O
Otto posted on Sat, Sep 5, 2015 1:23 PM

I can't wait to see the "Tiki Tower" Sky Lounge. I hear there will be an all star cast in 2016 (again). I'm looking forward to connecting with old friends!

[ Edited by: Otto 2015-09-05 13:24 ]

Exciting news!

I haven't been to a really large tiki event yet but am starting to feel braver....

T

Hukilau was our first big tiki event.
It's a good one to start with.

On 2015-08-28 17:38, robtikiti wrote:

...there will be additional tables for the Tiki Tower Takeover and also we will be serving Polynesian Tidbits for everyone to snack on while they drink those delicious cocktails! I'm afraid there won't be fewer people though - this event was one of our most popular for 2015! We will definitely do whatever it takes to make the experience extraordinary!

This was definitely a highlight of this year's Hukilau. The drinks, the location, the energy in the room... it was all great!

I'll just chime in and say that the room felt relatively crowded with the people and tables that were there. I think I used a table one time for a few minutes and the folks there were perfectly kind when I asked if I could join them.

As the lines were long, I essentially got a drink and then got in the next line and was done with the previous cocktail before I got to the next. No real time for sitting or even putting my drink down.

Yes to adding some food to the event. Since it started around the dinner hour, I had not eaten and by the end of it was relatively... happy! Luckily I had eaten a big lunch.

Any thought to doing this a little bit later? Say... late enough so that it concludes just after sunset? The view would be fairly spectacular.

Looking forward to it again!

RobTikiTi - The event will definitely see another hour added on in 2016. We won't go later than 7pm as there's a party in our Tiki Treasures Bazaar immediately following the Tiki Tower Takeover. But, you will have a chance to see the Pier Top Lounge in the evening later that night when we transform the room into Shag's SkyLounge - complete with mid-century modern furnishings, cocktails and Shag will be schmoozing the room! Should be a wonderful time for everyone!

On 2015-09-05 17:35, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Exciting news!

I haven't been to a really large tiki event yet but am starting to feel braver....

Lori, if I can be of help to you let me know! The Hukilau is a big Tiki event but not so big that you can't make great friends to last a lifetime. I can't tell you how many friendships, relationships and connections have been made over the years. It's a very special time!

T

Anybody know any updates on when this is going on sale?

On 2015-10-23 15:11, TongaT wrote:
Anybody know any updates on when this is going on sale?

TongaT - We are going on sale tomorrow, Tuesday, October 26, 2015!!

On 2015-10-26 09:45, tiki_kiliki wrote:

We are going on sale tomorrow, Tuesday, October 26, 2015!!

What time?

There's no set time, but I would start checking the website around noon. Or just look for an announcement on Facebook and Twitter.

Here's all the latest info from The Atomic Grog, including a sneak peek at the Pier 66 Tower Barrel Mug by Eekum Bookum, available for South Seas Passholders only ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/10/26/the-hukilau-2016-passes-going-on-sale-at-2015-prices/

T

I see that the prices are the same as 2015....does anybody remember what the big kahuna pass cost last year? I didn't get to last year but looking forward to 2016 :)

On 2015-10-26 17:16, TongaT wrote:
I see that the prices are the same as 2015....does anybody remember what the big kahuna pass cost last year? I didn't get to last year but looking forward to 2016 :)

TongaT - the price for the Big Kahuna price was and is $155, at least until January! Aloha!

T

Thank you!

The site is up and running. Passes, tickets and hotel rooms are available now:
http://thehukilau.com/

Tikival and I just booked our first trip to The Hukilau. Enough seeing it from afar - time to experience it in person! My only fear is that with a cross-country flight instead of a short drive we may not be able to pack as many costume changes are we do for Caliente or Oasis. :)

kevin

On 2015-10-27 22:24, heylownine wrote:
Tikival and I just booked our first trip to The Hukilau. Enough seeing it from afar - time to experience it in person! My only fear is that with a cross-country flight instead of a short drive we may not be able to pack as many costume changes are we do for Caliente or Oasis. :)

kevin

It's a party now! How honored and thrilled I am that you two are going to make it this year!! You're now official Villagers!!!

A few important updates ...

Tiki Kiliki posted on Facebook yesterday that the South Seas Pass is sold out. There were still nine Big Kahuna Passes remaining as of yesterday morning. If you'd like to attend the Wednesday night party, you should act fast.

I posted some other updates on The Atomic Grog ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/11/09/the-week-in-tiki-oct-19-nov-1-2015-the-hukilau-and-wreck-bar-news-halloween-recaps-nyc-cocktail-champ-vintage-hotel-demolished-and-more/

Brian Miller (“Tiki Mondays With Miller”, New York City) and Paul McGee (Lost Lake, Chicago) will be back mixing signature cocktails at the Tiki Tower Takeover along with the previously announced Jeff “Beachbum” Berry (Latitude 29, New Orleans) and Martin Cate (Smuggler’s Cove, San Francisco). Two more top Tiki bars will be announced soon, providing guests with six cocktails in addition to hors d’oeuvres and special musical entertainment on Thursday, June 9, from 5 to 7 p.m. This will sell out, so don't miss your chance to buy tickets. They're $69, available now to passholders.

Tiki Kiliki has also confirmed that Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid and her swim shows at the nearby B Ocean Resort will once again be included in The Hukilau festivities.

Marina also reports that The Wreck Bar will be undergoing a restoration that will return it to its vintage glory, offering even better views. Two original portholes that were sealed off decades ago will be uncovered as the bar is extended, Marina revealed.

Catching up on a few more updates, for those not following on Facebook ...

The Week in Tiki (Nov. 2-15, 2015): The Hukilau announced all 5-day tickets are sold out

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/11/21/the-week-in-tiki-nov-2-15-2015-the-hukilau-and-miami-rum-fest-tickets-makahiki-arrives-wayne-coombs-tribute-tiki-bars-galleries-and-more/

The Hukilau has announced that all five-day tickets are sold out for the 15th annual Tiki weekender scheduled for June 8-12 at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 hotel and The Mai-Kai restaurant in Fort Lauderdale. The last of the Big Kahuna passes was snapped up just one week after all the new South Seas passes sold out. But prospective villagers shouldn’t worry. There are plenty of Aloha (Thursday through Sunday) and Luau (Friday through Sunday) passes available. All passes went on sale in late October at 2015 prices, which will remain in effect until early January.

The Week in Tiki (Nov. 16-29, 2015): The Hukilau's Tiki Tower Takeover sold out

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/12/05/the-week-in-tiki-nov-16-29-2015-the-hukilaus-tiki-tower-takeover-sold-out-trader-vics-battles-critics-tiki-farm-releases-15th-anniversary-mugs-more/

The Hukilau’s Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White welcomes Beachbum Berry (right) and his Latitude 29 head bartender, Steve Yamada, to the first Tiki Tower Takeover in June 2015. (Photo by Hurricane Hayward)

All Tiki Tower Takeover tickets are taken, 5th bartender announced

One of the most anticipated Tiki cocktail events of 2016 is already sold out, a little over a month after tickets went on sale and more than six months before The Hukilau celebrates its 15th anniversary with a five-day celebration in Fort Lauderdale. The second annual Tiki Tower Takeover will be held on June 9 in the revolving 17th floor ballroom atop the historic Pier 66 hotel and will feature five of the country’s top Tiki barmen mixing up signature cocktails.

The first Tiki Tower Takeover, held in June 2015, was spearheaded by award-winning author and Tiki bar owner Jeff “Beachbum” Berry (Latitude 29 in New Orleans). Berry and his three brethren return in 2016: Martin Cate (Smuggler’s Cove in San Francisco), Paul McGee (Lost Lake in Chicago), and Brian Miller (Tiki Mondays With Miller in New York City).

The Hukilau’s producer and organizer, Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White, has also revealed a fifth top bartender who will be joining the event and setting up shop next to last year’s fab four: St. John Fritzell, owner-operator of Fort Defiance in Brooklyn and host of The Sunken Harbor Club, the bar’s monthly celebration of Polynesian food and drinks. In October, Fritzell beat out an all-star lineup of Big Apple mixologists to win The Art of Tiki: A Cocktail Showdown at the New York City Wine & Food Festival. White will also soon announce the Tiki bar that will be serving the “welcome drink” to guests as they board a private elevator and head up to the exclusive skylounge. In addition to the six cocktails, attendees of the two-hour event (5 to 7 p.m.) will enjoy food and live entertainment while the lounge rotates once every 66 minutes.

Here are the links you need:

Buy passes and tickets
http://thehukilau.com/2016/buy-tickets/

Book a room at Pier 66
http://thehukilau.com/2016/historic-pier-66-hotel/

The Hukilau official sites:
http://www.thehukilau.com/
http://www.facebook.com/thehukilau

The latest news is featured in The Week in Tiki ...

The Hukilau updates: First dinner show full, Shag event and hotel near sellout

The first dinner show at The Mai-Kai during The Hukilau main event on June 11 is officially sold out, organizer Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White reports. Call The Mai-Kai at (954) 563-3272 to get on a waiting list or to reserve seats at the second or third shows of the evening. The early show usually features special on-stage presentations and entertainment, but White said that next year “there will be a few special things happening” during the second show as well. The third show will likely be a special midnight show. All three shows feature a special performance of the Polynesian Islander Review. Don’t miss out on your chance to celebrate the 60th anniversary of The Mai-Kai at the 15th anniversary of The Hukilau, set for June 8-12, 2016.

Also close to selling out is Shag’s SkyLounge, a June 9 special event in the 17th floor revolving cocktail lounge at Fort Lauderdale’s historic Hyatt Regency Pier 66 hotel. The event will offer a unique opportunity to sip Martinis while you “meet and mingle” with fellow guests and artist Josh Agle while the Pier Top Ballroom is transformed into a colorful Shag painting with mid-century modern furnishings. Tickets are $49 for the party, which runs from 10 p.m. to midnight and also includes live Bossa Nova music, spectacular night views, and a “dress as your favorite Shag character” contest with special prizes. Shag’s SkyLounge tickets are available exclusively to guests who buy a weekend pass. Four-day, three-day and two-day passes are available at 2015 prices until early January. Five-day passes are sold out.

More at http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/12/23/the-week-in-tiki-nov-30-dec-13-2015-the-mai-kai-anniversary-party-the-hukilau-updates-jungle-cruise-restaurant-at-disney-world-polynesian-resort-lights-torches-plus-more/#hukilau

Lots of news to report ...

The Hukilau 2016: Entertainment, music and symposiums announced, full website launches

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/01/17/the-hukilau-2016-entertainment-music-and-symposiums-announced-full-website-launches/

After 15 years of planning the East Coast’s premiere Tiki weekender, Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White knows a thing or two about giving her guests, affectionately known as “villagers,” what they want. For the 15th anniversary of The Hukilau, scheduled for June 8-12 in Fort Lauderdale, that means assembling the biggest names in the Polynesian Pop revival for an unforgettable experience unlike any other.

“Tiki culture is only growing stronger, and we are trying to provide the best show possible for anyone who wants to join us,” Tiki Kiliki said in an interview this week. She said she wants her guests to feel like “they’ve just stepped back in time into an era where Tiki was ever-present.”

Tickets went on sale Tuesday for an impressive array of symposiums and experiences that will make the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 and The Mai-Kai restaurant in Fort Lauderdale the epicenter of the 21st century Tiki revival. Special guests and entertainers include some of the scene’s top artists (Shag, Tom Fowner, Will Anders, Jeff Chouinard), cocktail creators (Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, Martin Cate, Paul McGee, Brian Miller, St. John Fritzell), bands and musicians (Tikiyaki Orchestra, Jason Lee and the R.I.P. Tides, The Intoxicators, Skinny Jimmy Stingray, The Quiet Villagers, The Disasternauts), entertainers (Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid, Angie Pontani, Kitten de Ville, Lila Starlet), and pop culture historians (Otto von Stroheim, Tim “Swanky” Glazner, Humuhumu, Paul Roe).

“The appearance of Shag has really stirred tons of excitement here on the East Coast,” Tiki Kiliki said. “We don’t see him often enough, so that will be a true treat for everyone.”

Sales of 2016 event passes and tickets for special events have been selling at an unprecedented rate after going online in late October, much earlier than in past years. Demand is no doubt driven by the anniversaries and the unique experiences the 2016 event offers.

Tiki Kiliki said many things are driving interest this year. Villagers are “excited about celebrating the past and the future with the anniversaries, and Tiki culture is only growing stronger. … Also, Pier 66 has a lot to do with it too. The event grows ever stronger in the right venue.”

Shag’s SkyLounge and the Tiki Tower Takeover - The Hukilau’s two signature events - went on sale in October and are already sold out.

Just released Tuesday are tickets for eight special symposiums at Pier 66, plus special events at the nearby Kreepy Tiki Lounge (Thursday’s After Party) and The Wreck Bar at the B Ocean Resort (formerly the iconic Yankee Clipper), home of Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid (MeduSirena).

Due to popular demand, Marina and her pod of aquaticats will be performing three special swim shows in the hotel’s pool, visible via large portholes in the soon-to-be expanded historic bar (as seen in Hollywood movies over the decades). Priced at just $15, the shows will each have their own theme and will be for guests of The Hukilau only. To ensure clear views, The Wreck Bar will not be filled beyond capacity. These shows fill up fast, so don’t delay in getting tickets. Wednesday night at 10:30 is Glamour Girl (restricted to ages 18 and older), Thursday afternoon at 2 is Savage Jungle, while Saturday’s 2:30 p.m. show is Polynesian themed. Marina will also perform a “Feature Figure Swim” on Thursday night at 9 at the Pier 66 pool, free to passholders. This year will mark her 10th appearance at The Hukilau.

Another focal point of The Hukilau is providing a wide-ranging lineup of symposiums that give guests a glimpse into the past. “I concentrate on the history of Tiki culture, past and present,” Tiki Kiliki said. “Whether it’s architecture, cocktails, exotica, creating the experience – they have to point someone in the right direction of keeping the culture alive.”

Here are the symposiums announced Tuesday (dates and times subject to change):

• “World War Tiki,” presented by Jeff “Beachbum” Berry on Friday, June 10, at 4 p.m. Tickets $55.

• “I Learned My ABC’s in Waikiki,” presented by Shag on Friday, June 10, at noon. Tickets $25.

• “2001: A Tiki Odyssey,” presented by Otto von Stroheim on Saturday, June 11, at 11:30 a.m. Tickets $25.

• “First Person Tiki: Seeing Polynesian Pop with Your Own Eyes,” presented by Humuhumu on Saturday, June 11, at 10 a.m. Tickets $20.

• “The Mai-Kai: History, Mystery and Adventure,” presented by Tim “Swanky” Glazner on Friday, June 10, at 2 p.m. Tickets $25.

• “Innocence Lost, Paradise Found – The Evolution of ‘Old School’ American Tattooing,” presented by Paul Roe on Friday, June 10, at 10:30 a.m. Tickets $20.

In addition, two South Florida craftsmen will teach classes to villagers interested in learning the finer points of Tiki art. Join Tom Fowner for “DIY – Make your own Float Lamp Necklace” on Saturday, June 11, at 10 a.m. and create a personal keepsake you can take home. All materials and supplies are covered in the $20 admission fee. Meanwhile, the “DIY – Carving 101” class with Will Anders on Friday, June 10, at 10:30 a.m. will give guests instruction on how to delicately carve a bar of soap – a great first medium for learning the art of Tiki carving. The $20 ticket price includes everything you’ll need to get started.

Check out the story from The Atomic Grog for full details:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/01/17/the-hukilau-2016-entertainment-music-and-symposiums-announced-full-website-launches/

The Hukilau quick links ...

From The Atomic Grog ....

The Hukilau updates: Raiders of the Lost Tiki Culture symposium, new sponsors, Pier 66 hotel news

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/03/04/the-hukilau-updates-raiders-of-the-lost-tiki-culture-symposium-new-sponsors-pier-66-hotel-news/

In honor of The Hukilau’s 15th year and the 60th anniversary of The Mai-Kai, event co-founder/organizer Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White has assembled some of the top names in the Tiki revival for special events and symposiums that promise to educate as well as entertain. On March 3, she announced a first-of-its-kind Tiki event, a groundbreaking gathering of some of the biggest names in the modern revival.

Tickets are on sale now for “Raiders of the Lost Tiki Culture”, a freewheeling panel discussion on Saturday, June 11, moderated by yours truly and featuring Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, Otto von Stroheim, Humuhumu, Martin Cate, Crazy Al Evans, and Tiki Kiliki herself. The godfather of the Tiki revival, Sven Kirsten, will participate via Skype. “We would not be celebrating today if it weren’t for these people,” Tiki Kiliki said of her colleagues on the panel.

It’s just $15 for this very special event, which will follow von Stroheim’s “2001: A Tiki Odyssey” symposium at 1 p.m. in the Panorama Ballroom at the Pier 66 hotel.

The “Raiders of the Lost Tiki Culture” panel discussion will be divided into two parts: First, Kirsten, Berry and von Stroheim will discuss the early days and evolution of the revival. Then, they’ll be joined by Humuhumu, Cate, Evans, and Tiki Kiliki to talk about how the revival inspired them to push the boundaries even farther. “I don’t want people to forget how we got here,” Tiki Kiliki said.

You’ll hear the stories of how Tiki became a passion for a select few Californians, and how they revived this lost culture for the rest of the world to enjoy. Learn how they did their research and how they found each other, kicking off a new renaissance that continues to this day. The rest of the panel will talk about their discovery of Tiki, and how they approach their own unique experiences.

I’ll be quizzing the panelists about their place in the Tiki pantheon, and the audience will also have an opportunity to ask questions. A special cocktail is also included in the price of admission. Those also attending von Stroheim’s symposium will receive priority seating.

Buy tickets now: http://thehukilau.com/2016/buy-tickets/

More beverage sponsors on tap

Tiki Kiliki has also announced additional sponsors who will be providing tasty product samples to guests throughout The Hukilau. Puerto Rico’s venerable Don Q and the Caribbean rums from Kenny Chesney’s Blue Chair Bay Rum will join the previously announced Flor de Caña (Nicaragua) and the Caribbean spiced navy rum from Sailor Jerry.

Sapporo Beer from Japan has also joined the eclectic lineup that also includes Hendrick’s gin, Reyka vodka, and Leyenda del Milagro tequila. More sponsors are being sought, Tiki Kiliki said

Pier 66 property expected to sell for $200 million

Concerns were raised recently when it was announced that the owner of the Pier 66 hotel and marina has put the prime real estate on the market. The property, which is owned by the Blackstone Group of New York, will not necessarily retain the Hyatt brand and is approved for additional mixed-use development, according to a report in Fort Lauderdale’s Sun-Sentinel.

Tiki Kiliki said hotel officials expect the sale to be completed by the time The Hukilau arrives in June, but it won’t affect the event. She has a contract for The Hukilau to stay at the hotel through 2017, she said. The new owner would have the option of signing an agreement with any hospitality company or go independent, according to a story in the Fort Lauderdale Daily.

The sale of the iconic 384-room hotel is being handled by real estate and investment firm CBRE Hotels, which expects it to fetch around $200 million, the Sun-Sentinel story said. The market value is $77.5 million, but a “highly competitive environment” is expected to drive up the price, according to a CBRE senior executive.

If a sale is made, the new owner would take over without a brand or management firm, the Sun-Sentinel said. The agreement with Hyatt is due to expire this year.

But after talking to her contacts at the hotel, including the general manager, Tiki Kiliki said she isn’t concerned. “I don’t think there’s anything to worry about,” she said. “We should be fine.”

The site has been approved for 58 new luxury residential units in two 11-story towers with more than 30,000 square feet of retail and office space, CBRE officials told the Sun-Sentinel. The marina, one of the largest in Florida, is also considered to be a key selling point. The lucrative Fort Lauderdale Boat Show is held nearby at the Bahia Mar resort.

But, at least in the short term, it’s Tiki Kiliki’s understanding that the existing facilities will stay in place. “It will stay as a hotel,” she said.

The tower’s Pier Top Ballroom is the site of The Hukilau’s two signature, sold-out events on Thursday, June 9: Shag’s SkyLounge, a “Martini meet and mingle” with the acclaimed California artist; and the Tiki Tower Takeover cocktail party, a one-of-a-kind event featuring signature drinks from top Tiki barmen Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, Martin Cate, Paul McGee, Brian Miller, and St. John Frizell. Rooms are close to selling out, Tiki Kiliki reports. It’s advised that you book a room now to ensure your spot at Pier 66:
http://thehukilau.com/2016/our-host-hotel/

See the full story:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/03/04/the-hukilau-updates-raiders-of-the-lost-tiki-culture-symposium-new-sponsors-pier-66-hotel-news/

More updates from The Atomic Grog ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/04/02/week-in-tiki-march-1-15-2016-trader-vics-portland-closes-the-hukilau-and-more-event-updates/#hukilau

Fans of The Mai-Kai will want to be sure to attend the symposium “The Mai-Kai: History, Mystery and Adventure” by Tim “Swanky” Glazner at Pier 66 on Friday, June 10, at 2 p.m. Swanky reports that he’ll put a big emphasis in his presentation on the history and origins of the iconic Mystery Drink, including a look at the exotic and alluring servers who deliver it to guests. He’ll be joined by Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid, who will serve the ceremonial bowl to a lucky winner of a raffle. “You’ll hear the in-depth story of how the drink came to be, famous people who helped it along and famous and historical women who have served in the role of Mystery Girl, plus lots more teasers from the book,” Swanky posted on Facebook and wrote on his blog.

Also posted on The Atomic Grog, this brand new update ...

The Hukilau guests to take a Tiki Road Trip; new Shag merchandise in the works

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/04/07/the-hukilau-guests-to-take-a-tiki-road-trip-new-shag-merchandise-in-the-works/

If the idea of a cross-country road trip to five Tiki bars in five different states seems daunting, The Hukilau will make it easy for you during the 15th annual gathering of Polynesian Pop enthusiasts June 8-12 in Fort Lauderdale. During the event’s Friday afternoon festivities, guests will have the opportunity to sip cocktails and chat up the bar staff from five current and upcoming Tiki establishments spread across the Southeast, East and Midwest.

The Tiki Road Trip Pool Party will include cocktails from four well-known tropical drink destinations: Porco Lounge & Tiki Room (Cleveland), Foundation Tiki Bar (Milwaukee), Aku Aku (Orlando), plus The Happiest Hour and Slowly Shirley (New York City). Also joining the party will be Cooking Channel star Jim Stacy, who will be offering up a sneak preview of his upcoming Tiki bar in Atlanta, the Barnacled Mermaid.

Also on hand will be James Teitelbaum, whose seminal 2003 book, Tiki Road Trip, inspired the party (as well as many actual trips). Tickets for the Tiki Road Trip Pool Party are available now for just $20 for weekend passholders, $49 for non-passholders. It will run from noon to 4 p.m. in the courtyard surrounding the main pool at the host hotel, the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 in Fort Lauderdale.

The lineup of bars for the party includes three who competed Feb. 26 at The Art of Tiki: A Cocktail Showdown at the South Beach Wine & Food Festival, including People’s Choice award winner Porco. The blog also features a full rundown of the participants.

Just added to the Sunday schedule: A screening of "Korla The Movie," a documentary film about eccentric and influential musician Korla Pandit (1921-1998), will be held during the finale at The Mai-Kai.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/04/07/the-hukilau-guests-to-take-a-tiki-road-trip-new-shag-merchandise-in-the-works/#rums

List of sponsor rums grows to eight: Rhum Barbancourt, Gubba Rum, Rhum Clèment and Florida Mermaid Rum have been added. They join Flor de Caña, Sailor Jerry, Blue Chair Bay and Don Q.

Sneak peek: Shag glassware, more merchandise in the works

Glassware designs by Shag for The Hukilau 2016.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/04/07/the-hukilau-guests-to-take-a-tiki-road-trip-new-shag-merchandise-in-the-works/#merch

Both Mai-Tai glasses and Zombie glasses are in the works featuring Shag’s homage to some of the distinctive tikis (and shrunken head) at The Mai-Kai. Shag artwork will also appear on designer T-shirts as well as beach and bar towels, two new items that have never been offered before. Another special new item this year, courtesy of sponsor Royer, are custom swizzle sticks, also designed by Shag.

The 2016 pendant will be carved by Crazy Al Evans and produced by Perry Drake. It "honors the giant Barney West moai carving still standing tall at The Mai-Kai," co-founder/organizer, Christie "Tiki Kiliki" White said.

John Mulder and Eekum Bookum are also working on two mugs: The Tower Barrel Mug, which will be available only to South Seas passholders. And the official event mug, which will be made available to all guests for purchase. What's the design? "It's something you can find at The Mai-Kai," Tiki Kiliki said, offering no other clues.

A merchandise pre-sale will be announced soon, Tiki Kiliki said, so keep an eye out on the Facebook page for announcements.
https://www.facebook.com/thehukilau/

Official merch page: http://thehukilau.com/2016/official-souvenirs/

It looks like there is a ton to see+do - my dance card is really filling up for Hukilau. 5 weeks from tonight if I'm reading this calendar correctly?

kevin

Yes, tons to do and tons offered this year. We have even more planned that's not yet announced yet so hold on to your coconuts!!

T

"Due to popular demand, Marina and her pod of aquaticats will be performing three special swim shows in the hotel’s pool, visible via large portholes in the soon-to-be expanded historic bar (as seen in Hollywood movies over the decades)."

So they cut the bar down in size years ago and now are going to expand?
That is good news.

When will the expansion be done?

On 2016-05-05 10:59, tikiskip wrote:
"Due to popular demand, Marina and her pod of aquaticats will be performing three special swim shows in the hotel’s pool, visible via large portholes in the soon-to-be expanded historic bar (as seen in Hollywood movies over the decades)."

So they cut the bar down in size years ago and now are going to expand?
That is good news.

When will the expansion be done?

In time for The Hukilau!!

Catching up on all the news ...

THE HUKILAU: Tiki Road Trip announced, Pier 66 and The Mai-Kai sold out, new rum sponsors, and more!

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/05/09/week-in-tiki-april-1-15-2016-the-hukilau-tiki-caliente-and-more-upcoming-events-miami-fests-award-winning-rums-tiki-bar-openings-and-closings-more/

The host Hyatt Regency Pier 66 officially sold out of rooms for The Hukilau on April 20. But co-founder/organizer Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White quickly announced the overflow host hotel, the waterfront Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina Hotel. Located just over the Intracoastal Waterway bridge from Pier 66, the Hilton includes such amenities as free wi-fi and beach shuttle, plus a large pool and relaxing environment just a short walk from all the festivities. Room rates start at $119 for a standard king or double.

Also sold out: Both dinner shows at The Mai-Kai during the Saturday night main event on June 11. This means the entire restaurant will be the domain of The Hukilau’s villagers for the legendary Polynesian Islander Revue, the longest-running authentic South Seas stage show in the United States, including Hawaii. However, the show several times a night, so attendees are welcome to catch it on one of the other nights during the festivities. We suggest booking dinner in the showroom after the finale on Sunday, or during Wednesday’s opening-night party (or both). Also, there might be space available Saturday night in the restaurant’s back dining areas, especially later in the evening. Call The Mai-Kai at (954) 563-3272 for reservations and/or plan on arriving late that night. You can also email Pia Dahlquist ([email protected]) to get on a waiting list.

Rum sponsor rums are being added to The Hukilau at a rapid rate, quickly approaching the number you’ll find at smaller rum festivals. Tiki Kiliki has revealed the latest rums to be featured in tastings and/or cocktails: Ron Diplomatico (Venezuela), Koloa (Hawaii), and Santeria (South Carolina). The Hukilau will also welcome the Minister of Rum himself, Ed Hamilton, to Pier 66 for a special tasting of his acclaimed Hamilton Rums (date and time TBA). Hamilton’s Ministry of Rum Collection includes rums from St. Lucia, Jamaica and Guyana. The Ministry of Rum is also an online forum founded by Hamilton that unites rum collectors from around the globe and serves as a vital resource of reviews and information. Earlier in April, Rhum Barbancourt was announced as a “presenting sponsor” and will play a major role in several events. Details are scheduled to be announced soon, so look for updates on The Hukilau’s Facebook page. The Mai-Kai will be serving an original Rhum Barbancourt cocktail, the Spicy Hula Girl.

On April 14, Tiki Kiliki posted a sneak peek of The Hukilau’s new swizzle stick, designed by Shag and created by sponsors Royer Corp.

Last but not least, another surf-influenced band was added to the schedule, adding to a lineup that already could be considered an instrumental surf music fan’s dream. Miami’s Gold Dust Lounge will be performing at Wednesday night’s pre-party in The Molokai lounge at The Mai-Kai, a role it has filled in past years to much acclaim. Guitarist and band leader Russell Mofsky has changed his lineup recently, so guests who haven’t seen the band since last year will want to make note of the new stripped-down and powerful Gold Dust Lounge trio.

TheHukilau.com quick links:
Buy tickets, passes: http://thehukilau.com/2016/buy-tickets/
Schedule: http://thehukilau.com/2016/schedule-of-events/
Symposiums: http://thehukilau.com/2016/symposiums/
Tiki Treasures Bazaar: http://thehukilau.com/2016/tiki-treasures-bazaar/
Volunteer: http://thehukilau.com/2016/volunteer/

I'm not proud of the fact that I've not been to Hukilau before, but I can't help but think tikival and I picked a good year to go.

kevin

S

Look for the Mai-Kai History sticker in your welcome bag, or just find me and get one (or two).

B

Yahoo Kevin! It Audrey's and my first time too!

On 2016-05-11 22:43, heylownine wrote:
I'm not proud of the fact that I've not been to Hukilau before, but I can't help but think tikival and I picked a good year to go.

kevin

On 2016-05-12 05:29, Swanky wrote:
Look for the Mai-Kai History sticker in your welcome bag, or just find me and get one (or two).

These are super cool Swanky.

On 2016-05-12 17:02, BigToe wrote:

kevin

It's the first-timer's club!

kevin

On 2016-05-16 19:58, heylownine wrote:

kevin

Let one of us more experienced Hukilauers take you under our wing, this is my 11th Hukilau. My advice? Drink everything, go to all the symposiums, and sleep when you get on the plane home!

T

MY FIRST TIME TOO! you guys are not alone! :)

On 2016-05-12 17:02, BigToe wrote:

kevin

kevin

On 2016-05-17 06:06, AceExplorer wrote:

kevin

Let one of us more experienced Hukilauers take you under our wing, this is my 11th Hukilau. My advice? Drink everything, go to all the symposiums, and sleep when you get on the plane home!

Seems like good advice! I've had the pleasure of visiting the Mai Kai before, but not at Hukilau so it's pretty exciting. Luckily I've been training for a good many years at Tiki Oasis and Tiki Caliente. :)

kevin

J

Luckily I've been training for a good many years at Tiki Oasis and Tiki Caliente. :)

kevin

I think you'll find The Hukilau more laid back than Tiki Oasis. I went to Tiki Oasis for several years (and handled their social media for a few) and I stopped going when the crowds started getting out of control and people were getting hurt. I went to my first Hukilau last year and found it much more to my liking. Folks are a lot calmer and easy-going, the marketplace is smaller, the bands are more exotica and less rock. In my opinion, it is a much more authentic tiki experience, probably because the focus is actually on tiki, rather than some hardly-related subtheme. Also, because the majority of events take place indoors, it's easier to escape the madness without having to stay at a different hotel. No loud pool noise at 4:00am. :wink: Admittedly, I'm a bit older than a large percentage of the Tiki Oasis crowd, so my sensibilities have mellowed somewhat. Your mileage may vary.

Really proud to see a lot of first timers this year - please say hello and introduce yourselves!! Always honored that you choose The Hukilau!!

Pages: 1 2 73 replies