Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Carving Tips?

Pages: 1 32 replies

T

I want to try and carve a Tiki Pole for my bar. Any tips on Technique, woods etc.

Thanks,
Chris

:sheckymug:

I would first start off with a clay model of the design. This is kind of how car design is done. This will help you see how all of the nooks and crannies will run together, how deep to carve, and so forth. This way you won't ruin a piece of wood. You can also sketch it out first, that's what I do sometimes, but the important thing to do is just have fun and relax, after all its a piece of wood. I would stick to softer woods. What kind of tools are you going to use? Maybe try a tiki out of rigid foam, then just paint it.Good luck.

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2002-07-08 23:46 ]

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Jul 9, 2002 6:47 AM

I think I started with mashed potatoes. Then I got a lot of mud and sticks and made a big one in the living room. Err, wait. No, that was the alien landing zone I'm thinking of...

BB

Before you start carving tiki, you must pray. Pray to not cut a finger off. Pray that the splinters don't hurt that bad for weeks. Pray that the arthritus won't come till later. Pray that you won't gouge your hand, leg or fore-arm.
Everything should be cool if none of this happens.
Enjoy!!

M

I went out and bought a set of chisels and a pair of gloves! I only wear one glove so the hand I am holding it with doesn't get splinters in it. I just started out on a small block of wood and now I am working on a small pole!

W

I'll add some more to this later but for starters: Never cut towards yourself (your body, hand, leg). It's 8th grade shop advice or general dad advice but it's widely ignored as most any emergency room can tell you. The temptation is to stay in the flow of a cut even though the blade and you are on a collision course. Move. Find a different angle and continue. Get your piece of wood anchored down somehow (Is that Navy slang?). And wear safety googles so you don't waste valuable carving time fishing wood chips out of your eye or eye chips out of your wood.

TBC

On 2002-07-09 08:00, bamboo ben wrote:
Before you start carving tiki, you must pray. Pray to not cut a finger off. Pray that the splinters don't hurt that bad for weeks. Pray that the arthritus won't come till later. Good One BB! Should I send 'em my pic?!? -=CC=- Pray that you won't gouge your hand, leg or fore-arm.
Enjoy!!

[ Edited by: turbogod on 2002-07-12 14:48 ]

CC got the picture. That looks nasty

K

A hint I got from CC Rider (California carver), if you use a high speed grinder, make sure the disk stays on. He sent me a pic with his leg gashed open.......while he was in the ER!

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Sep 9, 2002 11:22 PM

Try to get V shaped chisles. Helps clean the corners. If you use the chainsaw, don't go to deep. it's easty to take off wood but cannot replace it! Then maybe start chizlin', if you see you need to take off more meat, kick on the chain saw again. Use angles on the saw, not just straight!! if you know what I mean? earplugs, safety glasses and a Brother IZ CD! And the rest of what the guys said! Espcially having an actual piece (tiki) in your hand to see where you need to remove material. Befor I started carving Tiki's I carved tropical flowers and plants. I just started Tiki's a few years ago. Have fun!
-Gecko

Is there any particular wood indeginous to the central part of the country that will not split?
A tree trimmer told me that if you treated the wood properly any wood would do, but he never told me what to treat it with.
Suggestions?

My good friend 'Lefty' the one-eyed tiki carver, god rest his soul, always said 'forget about all that safety crap!, all you really need is a 12-pack, a pint of rum, a gallon of gasoline (Witco style) and a big-ass chainsaw, another 12-pack, some more rum, some Vicadin, and a chisal for finish work, to really knock out some fine tiki's'.

Ah, Lefty! Before he lost his right arm and left testicle in a small chainsaw mishap, he was planning to take his tiki business BIG TIME! Then after the little Witco-style gasoline incident things were never the same for my good friend 'Stumpy'.

I use an Adz and a 1/4" chissle for large work, and an Exacto knife (#11) for small stuff. I have spent too much on "nice" carving sets, but always go back to the basics. I don't usually plan it out, sometimes I have an vague idea of what I want it to look like, but usually just start carving, and cut away anything that doesn't look like a Tiki. I like to think that the Tiki is already in there, I am just letting it out. Sounds corny, I know, but...

Tiki King,
Reminds me of an old interview I saw with
Keith Richards. He has the same (it's already there) philosophy about his music. No one ever accused Richards of being corny.

T

Keith Richards is corny. There, he's been accused.

:P

I've got a few chisels. I do like using a Dremill Tool. Does the fine detail work and outlines well.

T

I like to throw my pet cHiggers at the wood to see what they outline for me, then I take all the credit.

http://www.geocities.com/tikitonynose
(flash player required for this)

"I said tiki, not geeky!"

[ Edited by: tikitony 2005-07-30 10:55 ]

The "transporatorium" page is just coming through as code. I have Java, Flashe, et al, but can't see what's there.

On 2002-07-09 12:43, Mattio wrote:
I went out and bought a set of chisels and a pair of gloves! I only wear one glove so the hand I am holding it with doesn't get splinters in it. I just started out on a small block of wood and now I am working on a small pole!

There are some other details,like proper
footwear so as not to lose a toe or foot as
"CC" risks all the time with his chain saw
and bare feet.
Manual cutting is slower but more controllable than is electric or gas.
I prefer electric saw for foam tikis,
and manual tools on wood.
Keep all body parts away from area downrange of the blade(Direction of force).
When, or if a chain saw is used,be prepared always for sht to occur.

On 2002-07-12 11:36, Tiki By CC wrote:

On 2002-07-09 08:00, bamboo ben wrote:
Before you start carving tiki, you must pray. Pray to not cut a finger off. Pray that the splinters don't hurt that bad for weeks.

Pray that the arthritus  

won't come till later.
Good One BB! Should I send 'em my pic?!? -=CC=- Pray that you won't gouge your hand, leg or fore-arm.
Enjoy!!

CC, I told you at the oasis,get some protection on your members!

On 2002-07-09 12:43, Mattio wrote:

There are some other details,like proper
footwear so as not to lose a toe or foot as
"CC" risks all the time with his chain saw
and bare feet.
Manual cutting is slower but more controllable than is electric or gas.
I prefer electric saw for foam tikis,
and manual tools on wood.
Keep all body parts away from area downrange of the blade(Direction of force).
When, or if a chain saw is used,be prepared always for sht to occur.

Anybody know where to get a good set of v-shaped wood chisels?

T

They have/had some at Home Depot, in the tools section.

Here is my first carving. I think I am pretty done with this one.

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2002-10-03 13:28 ]

Try Rockler woodworking supply in Orange. You can try Flexcut chisels. These are american made and good for the price. Other brands of high quality are Two Cherries, Henry Taylor, and Robert Sorby.

K

Or also try Highland Hardware in Atlanta at:
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/

They sell online, but if you can go to this store, it's amazing!

C
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.