Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Introducing Critiki News

Pages: 1 17 replies

To better document the moving and shaking of Tiki hotspots around the world, Critiki now has a news division: Critiki News!

Articles on Critiki News will include new listings on Critiki and notable updates to existing listings, but that's not all. Critiki News is where I'll share when a new location has been announced, when big changes happen at existing locations, impending closures... it will be a much better way to show you the beating pulse of these places. You can also expect some wonderful pieces on the history of Tiki, as I spotlight the many memories and artifacts that get shared on Critiki.

In addition, I'll be posting some Tiki Lifestyle articles on Critiki News... including some How-Tos for creating and running a great Tiki bar, whether at home or for the public.

Next to come will be some improved integration with the main Critiki site. I'll be including all of the relevant Critiki News articles on each location's Critiki listing, so you can easily see all of that place's big news over the years.

While I was at it, I moved all of the posts from Humu Kon Tiki to this new site, as it feels like a natural evolution for that content. So much great online information from the early- and mid-2000s has bitten the dust in recent years, but I wanted to make sure mine was preserved. Now all those fun old posts have a better home! All of the URLs for Humu Kon Tiki posts have been redirected to their new location on Critiki News, so no need to worry about broken links to Humu Kon Tiki out there.

Check it out at http://news.critiki.com!

Nicely done. I look forward to reading future posts.

Great to hear, Humuhumu! I'm especially pleased that you're actively preserving posts from the past. That'll show those "Facebook only" advocates how these "old" systems are very valuable -- they preserve knowledge -- unlike social media where information is here today and gone tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Thanks for all the hard work!

On 2015-08-25 11:03, AceExplorer wrote:
I'm especially pleased that you're actively preserving posts from the past. That'll show those "Facebook only" advocates how these "old" systems are very valuable -- they preserve knowledge -- unlike social media where information is here today and gone tomorrow.

Exactly -- as someone who cares deeply about preserving the history of these places, I worry about the movement of discussion to Facebook, it's short-sighted. I adore Facebook for keeping me connected to my friends' lives, but it's a terrible place to discuss history, for exactly this reason, it's too ephemeral. Doing my part to keep our collective knowledge accessible!

Very nice...

Thank you Humuhumu for the work that you do-for free!

M
Makau posted on Tue, Aug 25, 2015 7:23 PM

to paraphrase a little kid in a Disney movie...

That... is... AWESOME

Mahalo Humu,
I am anxious to see how this latest endeavor from you progresses.
Best of luck to you although I doubt that you need it. : )

S

I've rarely looked at Critiki before, why, i cannot say, but maybe these new improvements will give me reason to.

And while we are on the topic of new improvements, when will we see the updated Ooga-mooga? Most people complain when a website is overhauled as they are not used to the new layout (myself included), but the proposed changes to OM sound great. The ability to upload more than one photo at a time and also being able to add other things besides mugs to your collection, like ashtrays, swizzle sticks, etc.

H

On 2015-08-25 19:54, swizzle wrote:
And while we are on the topic of new improvements, when will we see the updated Ooga-mooga?

Ah, I wish I had an easy answer for you. I have a two-year-old, and the blocks of uninterrupted time required for programming work feel very far away from me right now. Critiki updates, though, are relatively easy to squeeze into the small moments of personal time I'm able to grab in the course of my weird, fractured, chasing-a-greased-pig day. It will happen, but I'm not in a position to make promises right now. Critiki has been a great way for me to at least keep a foothold in my beloved computer world!

On 2015-08-25 14:14, tikilongbeach wrote:

Ditto!

On 2015-08-25 14:14, tikilongbeach wrote:

Ditto! Ditto!

Nice job Humuhumu! Have not sent anything your way in a while, will have to remedy that.

Keep up the great work, we appreciate it.

DC

I'm very happy to to see new Critiki posts pop up in my RSS reader. Mucho mahalo Humu!

I need to get to submitting...

Kevin

Wonderful! Yes, we live in an instagram world now, and new generations nowadays think they know what Tiki constitutes after a few mouse clicks. Books are fine for me and you, but there is a whole part of the population growing up that can only be reached via internet. Right on, Humu! :)

BK

Excellent! I don't know how you find time to accomplish so much, while chasing that little girl around, but the Tiki community thanks you!

Fantastic! Just followed you guys on twitter, too. :D

H

Thank you all for the round of warm cheer! I suppose I should be better about pointing out all the ways to keep up with Critiki News:

The site (and RSS feed): http://news.critiki.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Critiki
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Critiki

And here are some recent articles that were particularly fun for me to put together:

The Best Tiki Drink Recipe Books: A Review of the Works of Jeff Beachbum Berry (So Far)

The Progression of the Seattle Trader Vic’s Facade

Preview of the Northshore Lagoon at McMenamins Anderson School

Mementos from a 1960s Mystery Girl at the Luau in Miami Beach

Bali Hai in Santiago, Chile

Pages: 1 17 replies