Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Tiki Station...Maybe

Pages: 1 8 replies

B

I have this old 6 foot wide reception desk that I'm thinking about giving the "tiki bar" treatment in a corner nook in our living room, to help liven up the place. (I hate bare white walls) There are glass shelves in the center, and drawers in the back of the side towers, and spaces under the glass tops for mats and curiosities. I need to look for some mats, "grass" skirting, bamboo screens, etc to resurface both the counter and the nook.

[ Edited by: bkrownd 2015-09-04 20:17 ]

B

I went shopping for ornamentation. I haven't seen any wall signs I like yet, but I couldn't pass up on these guys. I also got some cheap tiki mugs. Baby steps...

[ Edited by: bkrownd 2015-09-07 11:55 ]

That indeed has potential. Keep posting pictures and have fun with your project.

B

I bought some lauhala mats, but they're dirty and have bugs so I need to flatten, wipe and shellac them before trying to cover this. Bought a few prints that haven't arrived yet. Mugs arriving. etc

TP

This looks like it could be great. Looking forward to see what you do with it.

On 2015-09-04 14:14, bkrownd wrote:
I have this old 6 foot wide reception desk that I'm thinking about giving the "tiki bar" treatment in a corner nook in our living room, to help liven up the place. (I hate bare white walls) There are glass shelves in the center, and drawers in the back of the side towers, and spaces under the glass tops for mats and curiosities. I need to look for some mats, "grass" skirting, bamboo screens, etc to resurface both the counter and the nook.

[ Edited by: bkrownd 2015-09-04 20:17 ]

BK. Imho, that piece is awesome. My lounge and bar have layers and layers of tiki,MCM, nauitical and misc. vintage items. Pretty cluttered in some folks eyes. I Would “try” to limit the items I placed on and around that piece to Shag and MCM stuff. Maybe a large Shag or Doug
Horne print on the wall behind the station. I love matting and bamboo but to me the piece is perfect as it is.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Cheers
Btw, how did you come across that thing?

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-09-19 16:48 ]

B

I have seen so many great tiki etc prints lately, including on this forum. Im the nook I have an Esther Szegedy pastel on one wall and a Jason Medina tiki print on the other. Got some colorful prints coming from Tiki Mountain and got my eye on others. Getting a bit crazy with the artwork this year.

[ Edited by: bkrownd 2015-09-19 18:17 ]

B

Btw, how did you come across that thing?

It's a reception desk from a defunct local hair salon. I would not have used it except that it was sitting around the house without purpose. (thrift store) They still sell this model on the internet in wood grain.

Love the shelves and what you are doing to it.

Pages: 1 8 replies