Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

tikis at a gallery in Honomu HI

Pages: 1 5 replies

B

I found a super selection of tikis at a neat local gallery called Tinny Fisher's up the road in Honomu. They have dozens of hand carved tikis of all kinds - these photos are only about 2/3 of the nice ones. Unfortunately they said they're retiring and closing the store at the end of the month. I wish I discovered this place before starting my tiki decorating so I had more money to acquire these beauties.

I got one of the medium sized tikis in the first images, the leftmost of the 3 carved sticks in the 3rd image, and the amazing tiki on the top shelf far left in the last image.

BK,
There is a group at the Hula Bowl selling very similar tikis at a very negotiable price.
Mahalo for sharing.

Those are all tourist pieces, very common at island gift shops
more so at the airport shops some years back.

There's some really nice one in that batch bkrownnd!

On 2015-09-07 22:50, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Those are all tourist pieces, very common at island gift shops
more so at the airport shops some years back.

Some are ATP but many are carved pieces right here from Hawaii, local carvers.. Most the tourists shops here on Maui that sell carved wood tiki's nowadays are almost always all from bali.. It's becoming rare to find a shop that has a selection like that out here..

I should have said, Hawaiian tourist pieces....as the photo showed some older carvings.

B

So, here are the tikis I bought in the Honomu shop. The two upright tikis have great personality and presence, so I HAD to get them. They jumped out from the others. My SO wanted the staff under them, and I thought it would make a good ornament. It doesn't show well here, and the flash washes out the accents and shadowing on all the carvings.

Oddly, this morning I found a June eBay listing for the smaller upright tiki - the exact same one - the craft shop in Honomu bought him from an eBay seller in Colorado Springs! He is in the style that Tongan carvers here use, as demonstrated by an old thread by user "Aaron's Akua". The little guy has some miles under his belt! The larger upright tiki rules the room, with has "gravitas" in spades. RAWR!

[ Edited by: bkrownd 2015-09-12 20:43 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies