Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Help me choose my next bottle of rum

Pages: 1 12 replies

Here's what I've got. I'm also in the process of making my own spiced rum.

Havana Club White
Brugal Especial Extra Dry
Brugal Ron Reserva Anejo
Koloa Dark
Coruba Dark
Appleton Estate Extra 12 Year
Rhum Clément 6 Year
Barbancourt 5 Star Reserve Especiale 8-Year
Santiago de Cuba 12
Koloa Coconut
Wray & Nephew Overproof
Lemon Hart 151
Bacardi 151

And I have now added:
Hamilton Demerara
Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Gold (Worthy Park Estate)
Hamilton Demerara 151
Barbancourt Estate Reserve 15 Year
Angostura 1824 7 Year
El Dorado 12
El Dorado 15
Angostura 1919

I know this is a subjective question, but still, I thought it might be fun. What holes are in my collection right now?

[ Edited by: Jeff Bannow 2015-10-26 06:43 ]

An El Dorado. I'm partial to the 12 year.

On 2015-10-15 20:57, mikehooker wrote:
An El Dorado. I'm partial to the 12 year.

perfect! seconded.

I'd suggest some Calidao.

Yes, you need some Demerara.

On 2015-10-16 11:15, lunavideogames wrote:
Yes, you need some Demerara.

Agreed. I will need to order it online, since Michigan doesn't have it on the allowed list for some silly reason.

You already have one Demerara, the Lemon Hart. So a lower proof Demerara would not be a bad thing to add. However you could approach this in a different manner -- find a cocktail recipe, or several recipes, which you know are highly rated and which aren't covered by your current rum collection. Then let these guide some of your decisions.

I have randomly bought rums in the past, and because I frequently try new recipes, have found that too often those bottles sit around and collect dust. (I tended to forget about them, even that I originally convinced myself that if I bought them, that I would sip the rums on the rocks.) While it's fun, it is not always the best way to increase your bar's inventory.

Oh, and buy cocktail recipe apps or books and look for the very rum-centric drinks. Also, you can follow along with what others are posting here on TC as well. Soon you'll have more trouble than you know what to do with!

:drink: Everyone needs to know a good bail bondsman...

I agree with Ace Explorer, the best way might be to find specific recipes and go based on those.

That being said, a white rhum agricole might be a good option, if only for Ti' punches.

[ Edited by: Overproof Mike 2015-10-16 13:44 ]

K

My thought was Hamilton Demerara (lower proof), or Clement blanc. Wouldn't hurt to try some Plantation Pineapple/Stiggins Fancy either.

You've got a great selection already!

What I recommend that you haven't got:

• El Dorado 8 / other Demerara 80
  • Bacardi 8 (a higher class gold PR style rum)
  • Saint James Rhum Vieux (if you can find it - it's different to the Clements)
  • Appleton Reserve / 8 year (a great run, not as heavy as the Appleton 12)
  • Angostura 1919 (a vanilla bomb, but the 2070 Swizzle is a great drink)

Cheers! :)

B
  • Saint James Rhum Vieux (if you can find it - it's different to the Clements)

hmmmmmm (makes notes)....great thread

On 2015-10-15 18:46, Jeff Bannow wrote:
Here's what I've got. I'm also in the process of making my own spiced rum.

Havana Club White
Brugal Especial Extra Dry
Brugal Ron Reserva Anejo
Koloa Dark
Coruba Dark
Appleton Estate Extra 12 Year
Rhum Clément 6 Year
Barbancourt 5 Star Reserve Especiale 8-Year
Santiago de Cuba 12
Koloa Coconut
Wray & Nephew Overproof
Lemon Hart 151
Bacardi 151

I know this is a subjective question, but still, I thought it might be fun. What holes are in my collection right now?

No holes but I like to sip Zaya or Papa’s Pilar Dark.
Regarding the Havana Club the 1 year old is not very good, imho and the 3 year old although labeled “Anejo” is clear and makes an excellent Mojito. HC seems to be the “Barcardi” of Cuba in their bars and restaurants.
Here’s a list of the HC hierarchy and a pic of the thousand dollar plus bottle of Maximo Extra Anejo on display at the Hotel National in Havana Pernod Ricard[edit]
Añejo Blanco: White rum; aged 1 year. Marketed as a mixer.
Añejo 3 Años: Aged 3 years.
Añejo Especial
Añejo Reserva
Añejo 7 Años: Dark rum; aged 7 years.
Añejo 15 Años: Limited release rum aged at least 15 years.[26] Has won International Spirits Challenge awards.
Máximo Extra Añejo: A luxury aged rum retailing for over $1,000 a bottle, with only 1,000 bottles released. Packaged in a hand-blown glass bottle.

Selección de Maestros: A relaunch of the 90 proof "Cuban Barrel Proof" grade, Selección de Maestros ("Selections of masters") has performed well at spirit ratings competitions. For instance, at the 2014 San Francisco World Spirits Competition, it won a double gold medal. Ratings aggregator Proof66 has also placed the Selecciones de Maestros in the 99th percentile of all rums.
Havana Club Unión
Cheers

Just got back from Louisiana where I picked up:

Hamilton Demerara
Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Gold (Worthy Park Estate)
Hamilton Demerara 151
Barbancourt Estate Reserve 15 Year
Angostura 1824 7 Year
El Dorado 12
El Dorado 15
Angostura 1919

Pages: 1 12 replies