Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

mondo tiki exhibition at laluz!saturday 11-28 2 to 4 pm docent tour with toe,ruzic,and holden!

Pages: 1 38 replies

MONDO TIKI!

This November 6th will be a Night for the History Books!
Check out all the Crazy stuff going on
at La Luz de Jesus gallery on November 6th!!

1)Tiki Farm's 15th Year Anniversary with Shelves and Shelves
of Mugs,Bowls,and other Ceramic Treasures from their vaults

1. Michelle Bickford and our dear Flounder (aka: Scott Scheidly)
    will have a room full of their artistic offerings to amaze the peoples

2. Doug Horne,BigToe,and myself will also have work upon the walls
    to add to the general atmosphere

3. Another Special treat is that all of us artists will have
    Special Tiki Farm 15 Year Anniversary Mugs for you to acquire and covet

4. The Bookstore at La Luz will also be carrying 50 copies of my Coloring book
    during the exhibition...
    I'll have plenty of pens on hand if you'd like your copy signed...

5. Get a chance to chat it up with Holden,Scott,Michelle,Toe,Doug,and myself
    in the FLESH! That's like meetin LINCOLN or something!

OPENING RECEPTION:NOVEMBER 6th, 8-11pm
(Show duration November 6-29,2015)
4633 Hollywood Blvd. Los Angeles,CA 90027

Here's a link to the la Luz gallery page...
http://laluzdejesus.com/michelle-bickford-mondo-tiki-show/

Hope to see you There!

ALSO! THIS JUST IN!
DOCENT TOUR with BigToe,Holden,and Myself!
THIS SATURDAY! Come on Down and Get Enlightened!

http://www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2015-11-22 19:06 ]

This looks like a great show - the art posted on the gallery site looks good on my screen so I'm anxious to actually see it in person. And since I'm still kicking myself for missing the opening reception for the 10th Anniversary show, this one is already on my calendar.

kevin

"Too Much Information"
Acrylic on wood
Art Dimensions: 24 x 36"
framed dimensions: 29.5 x 41" (frame carved by Derek Weaver)
SOLD

"The Bridge"
Pyrography on wood with Acrylic tinting
Art Dimensions: 12 x 36"
sides are wood/stained

That small shot doesn't do this puppy justice!
Here's a close-up for you!

"The Fifth Drink"
Acrylic on board
Art Dimensions: 10 x 20"
framed dimensions: 20 x 34" (Frame by Bamboo Ben)
SOLD

"The Double Fister"
Acrylic on board
framed dimensions: 20 x 34" (Frame by Bamboo Ben)

"The Abandoned Table"
Acrylic on wood
(sides painted to resemble thatching)

"Lucky Day"
Acrylic on wood
(sides painted to resemble thatching)

"Maori Mask"
Art Dimensions: 8 x8"
(sides woodburnt and tinted to resemble thatching)

"Sepik River Sentinel"

"Cannibal King"
SOLD

"After the Storm"
SOLD

If you just cannot live without one of these pieces...
MUST have it.....
and it hasn't sold yet,
Contact [email protected]

Also,in the Soap Plant shop in the gallery
my newest Tiki Coloring Book will be available!
Glossy Full Color Cover with 50 pages of delight
and 22 brand new FULL PAGE illustrations to color
and smile at all beamy as you admire your handiwork!
How can so much happiness be ONLY $20? Get One and Find Out!

There's even a page in there with the Original Inspiration
for the "Too Much Information" painting!

Also... in case you didn't notice..
Holden asked us to place our Anniversary mugs in our Big Showcase Paintings..
Here is the cameo of POKO ONO...

Is it a Mug or a Shotglass?
the answer is YES!!!!!!!!!!

Available the night of November 6th
Exclusively at la Luz gallery!

Hope to see your Bright and Beautiful Faces There!
:)

http://www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2015-12-02 21:24 ]

Man it seems like forever since TikiFarm had an event!

B

Your whole set is simple awesome Kenneth. I am sincerely proud to call you a colleague, co-conspirator and friend.

B

Can't wait to see Doug's set up here too!! Oh, and are Michelle Bickford and Flounder on TC? It would be spectacular to see their stuff here too!

I will post some jive about my paintings below.

B

Aloha fellow TC'ers,

Please check out my little offering for "Mondo Tiki", the Tiki Farm 15th Anniversary retrospective and art show! In addition to the artwork, there will be special LIMITED EDITION 15th Anniversary tiki mugs created especially for the event by the 5 featured artists.

Artist's statement:

My 10 paintings function as a love letter to the art of tiki mugs, the art of the tropical cocktail and to my relationship with Tiki Farm and my pal Holden Westland. I met Holden (aka "The hardest working man in tiki") in the 80's over happy-hour long island ice teas, then we were reacquainted in the mid-2000s when our love for tiki and polynesian 'pop' culture caused our paths to cross again. It has been a unique pleasure to work with Holden to create what I hope is a unique voice in the tiki mug world, and it is my absolute honor to be a part of the Mondo Tiki art show.

"Mondo Tiki", 24 X 36", acrylic on canvas in a custom frame by Bamboo Ben. This is my show-piece featuring all 5 of the special anniversary tiki mugs by Scott "Flounder" Scheidly, Michelle Bickford, Ken Ruzic, Doug Horne and me. I don't know of any precedent for a Hawaiian Ku tiki with 4 arms, but I needed him to hold up 3 mermaids who hold the 5 mugs, so there he is. If you look closely, you can see a school of hammerhead sharks slipping through a distant greener current, my little device to add some deep space to the composition. At the bottom, I have festooned several of my favorite tiki farm mugs among a bed of giant clams. How many mug designers can you ID? These are artists who (along with Holden), inspire me to be a better artist and push my craft. Oh, and the goofy nautilus at the lower right may be interpreted as a self-portrait. I will leave that analysis to more elastic minds than mine.

“Big Niho”, Acrylic on Panel, 8 X 10”, in a frame by Bamboo Ben. Big Niho was the first mug i designed for Tiki Farm back in 2006. He is big and chunky and holds a lot of booze.

“Bobomb”, Acrylic on Panel, 11 X 17”, in a frame by Bamboo Ben. Rendered in the special 15th edition glaze colorway. My alternate title for this mug was "The Last Bob". I am not at liberty to say what ingredient has caused this mug to float about the bar-top.

“Dilemma Tiki”, Acrylic on Panel, 11 X 17”, in a frame by Bamboo Ben. "Dilemma Tiki" is a second look at the tiki in my painting “Ruby’s Dilemma” at Frankies Tiki Room in Las Vegas. I was asked to render him so that he would work as a vinyl "art toy", tentatively to be produced for Summer 2016 release.

“Floating MarqMarq”, Acrylic on Panel, 11 X 17”, in a frame by Bamboo Ben. "MarqMarq" was originally designed as a jigger. But when we found out that the smallish measuring cups would cost the same as full size tiki mugs, Holden decided to size the whole set up. But why is this cocktail floating??

“Marwal Maiden”, Acrylic on Panel, 8 X 11”, in a frame by Bamboo Ben. My dear departed Aunt Doria had a Marwal Girl figure in the home where I "Thanksgivinged" as a child, and I trace my love for kitsch and exotica to that beautiful chalk-ware figure with her serene beauty.

“Mystery Girl”, Acrylic on Panel, 11 X 17”, in a frame by Bamboo Ben. Who can deny the allure of the Mai Kai Mystery Girl. this lovely elfin lass offers you a flaming concoction in a double-ended MarqMarq mug!

“Pau Hana Honu”, Acrylic on Panel, 8 X 11”, in a frame by Bamboo Ben. I have a deep spiritual love for the Honu, or Sea Turtle in Hawaiian. Pau Hana means "done with work for the day". As you can see, this little guy is off the clock. This is based on my next Tiki Farm mug design, which should be out by the holidays 2015.

“Party Bob”, Acrylic on Panel, 8 X 11”, in a frame by Bamboo Ben. This is a goofy "Tiki Bob" homage idea that i hope to have made at some point in the future. I will recommend never using him for a first round cocktail.

“Zombie Sunrise”, Acrylic on Panel, 11 X 17”, in a frame by Bamboo Ben. The "Lava Letch" mug that I designed for Frankies Tiki Room in Las Vegas in probably my best known mug, and I dearly love his toothy grin and crooked spine. I have a great time hand-painting up a special run of a couple dozen every other year or so, and the "zombie sunrise" set was a personal favorite. This is a render of that mug.

and last but not least, here is my Tiki Farm "Bobomb" mug in the special limited edition 15th anniversary glaze that will be released at he show opening:

Well that is my set of paintings for the "Mondo Tiki" art show. I hope you will join us for the opening at La Luz de Jesus Gallery on 11/6 from 8-11pm.

If you can't make it to the show and/or wish to purchase one of the paintings before the opening, here is a link to the show preview:

http://laluzdejesus.com/michelle-bickford-mondo-tiki-show/

MAHALO for looking!!!

[ Edited by: BigToe 2015-10-26 23:30 ]

Kenny and Toe your stuff is OFF THE CHARTS!!!

It's an honor to frame your work!

Speaking of framing....

I've been at the Farm the last couple weeks building frames for all of Tiki Farms mugs too! ( and The Pizz Tribute :) )

Talk about a Frame Jam!!

See ya'll on the 6th!!

Aloha everyone!
I'm excited to be a part of the Mondo show at Le Luz.
Below are my pieces for the show as well as the TF anniversary mug I designed.
The mug also include a swizzle stick that is part of the signage, see sketch.

“Tiki Farm Harvest”
27.5” X 33.5”
Pencil on paper, vintage frame.

“Maori Head”
17” X 20”
Pastel and Pencil on paper, vintage frame.

“Pug in a Mug”
16” X 27”
Pastel and Pencil on paper
Frame by our own Roger Brittan, HB Tiki.

“Zen Garden of Polynasia”
19” X 22”
Pencil on paper

“Kraken Rum Floater”
“16 X 27”
Pencil on paper
Frame by Roger Brittan aka HB Tiki.

Concept art for Tiki Farm 15 year anniversary mug.

Tiki Farm 15 year Anniversary mug.
Swizzle stick to come...
Available at the event.

I have one more piece that I'm working on, progress pics to come.

Cheers all and I hope to see you on November 6th at the gallery.

S

Great looking work guys. Are you able to disclose the mug prices?

Great job on the new mugs, you mugs!

F

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Really digging the work you guys have shared for the show. Wish I had caught the "Behemoths" show you guys did earlier this year.
I won't be able to make it to opening night next Fri, but I certainly look forward to seeing it all in-person (and hopefully picking up a mug or two) sometime thereafter.

Cheers!
:drink:

Thanks you guys!

Here is another one for the show next Friday at Le Luz.

Hope you can join us!

"Fugu Creature Mug"
Pencil on paper in vintage frame.

To see all of the artwork in the show you'll find it here...

http://laluzdejesus.com/michelle-bickford-mondo-tiki-show/#more-16718

Mahalo!

The Art of Doug Horne
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2015-10-30 10:20 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 30, 2015 9:51 PM

BEST TIKI BOB INSPIRED MUG EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 2015-10-30 21:51, GROG wrote:
BEST TIKI BOB INSPIRED MUG EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, they all need to be destroyed... even that one. It blowed up Reeeel Good!!

SF

My last piece for the Mondo Tiki show. Opening receipting this Friday!! Hope to see you there for the fun.

"Fugu Mermaid"
20" X 21" overall, vintage frame.

BAM!
Doug has officially BROUGHT IT!
BAM!

Hey! Seeing as i'll be Celebrating with Doug and Tommy
as we share our masterworks on the walls of la Luz gallery
i,for one, would like to get a lil bit of my drink on...
Cuts the edge and helps me deal with the crowds...
Unfortunately,that means i can't drive in accordance with CA state vehicle law....

Anyone want to give Aimee and i a ride to and from the event?
There's a free original drawing and a Tiki Coloring book
as well as lively conversation and Carpool privileges!
and even a quickie studio studio tour of the batcave in Orange
time permits.....
Hit me up via PM if you're game....

Aloha All!

I'll be installing the hut/shelves tomorrow
so Holden and Crew can spend numerous hours filling them with
TONS OF MUGS!!! the few days after. I'll try to get some sneak pics
and post them here.

B

Here is the Facebook event page for event info: https://www.facebook.com/events/848902541895457/

Taquitos, Tiki Ti & La Luz, making a day of it, maybe squeeze in Clifton's afterwards!
See you guys!

Off to the Tiki Ti with Tommy and Aimee,meeting up with Douggles,,,,
and then the Exhibition!
If you're looking for me,I'll be located in the Bookstore section of the gallery
getting my bi-annual Book buying binge AWN!
See you there!

C

Bummed we won't be able to make the scene tonight, but we plan on checking out the show tomorrow while we're in town.

That was a blast. Had fun drinking at tiki ti before hand and got in there with enough time to pick up all my mugs without the huge line that formed later.

By the time I left there was only the Poko Ono and Nari mugs left, but they were moving fast as well. Doug's Tiki Farm temple was the first to sell out. Thanks again to him.

The exhibit was amazing. If you have the time and didn't make it out tonight, by all means GO! The walls filled with mugs was candy to the eyes.

You gotta love Hollywood, Charles Phoenix, Angelyne & Ron Jeremy showed up at the show (not together...)
Holden managed not to blow his heart out of his chest getting the show ready in time, but it was close!

None of the Artist's let all the attention go to their heads, not even Kenny!
Got to talk to some of the new folks here on TC, hello again BelowDecks!

Great job Holden, Mike, Bamboo Ben & all the Artists
Big shout out to all the really nice staff at La Luz De Jesus, also.
and a Kudos to Juanita's on Olvera Street for the best Taquitos since 1944! (I personally have been eating there since 1963)

Congratulations "Tikifarm" on 15 years of being Tiki!

Dave, Dave, Ron & myself, photo by Kari

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-11-22 17:44 ]

I wish we could be there. At least we have a Tiki Farm collection that started at the very beginning that we can look at and enjoy. Congratulations, Wendy and Dan

I went to the exhibition on Sunday and really enjoyed it. What an amazing array of different themes, designs, styles and artists! It was great to see so many mugs in person that I've only seen previously in photographs. The size of some of them surprised me. Da Big Kahuna Outrigger Set, for example. I was picturing a little boat with little shot-glass-sized tiki mugs inside. Not so. The thing is the size of a small table! It's really décor rather than glassware. I wasn't expecting that.

If you go, be sure to buy the excellent accompanying compendium. All the Tiki Farm products are listed in chronological order including dates, colors and artists. The items represented in the exhibit are indicated. Selected mugs have photographs and histories. It's all full-color, glossy paper, very well done. I bought the compendium on my way out. In retrospect, one should buy it on the way in and use it while looking at the exhibit.

The show runs through November 29 so there's still time to go. Admission is free. The compendium is $5.

This should be fun and informative!!

Missed the opener, would love to make it down for this. Is the event swag going to be on sale? Is Doug gonna be there??

DC

it appears thatDoug is chickening out.
Being a giant,he speaks at a much lower octave
and fears we may not understand his rumblings...
BUT!!!! Holden,Tom,and i will be there to amuse and inform you
and we switched out Doug and opted for an alcohol sponsor......
SAPPORO BEER have been kind enough to step forward
and serve the masses some cool refreshments on Saturday!
As for swag,Dusty...i think the Limited editions are sold out for Doug,tom,and i
but Scott and Michele may have their special anniversary mugs there
and the mug compendium book AND my Tiki Coloring Books will be there...
Holden may have gotten some of the Open Line versions of the mugs for Saturday
but i can't confirm...
Hope to see y'alls there!

I'm planning to be there, notebook and pen in hand.

Kevin

TODAY!!!!!

Thanks to Kinny, Big Toe and Holden for taking the time to educate us on the art and history of Tiki Farm.

(P.S. - I did not get the "memo" on wearing the Converse All Stars).

DC

B

Thanks Dusty Cajun!!!

And A hearty MAHALO to the great ohana crowd who came out to "talk story" at the MONDO TIKI show!!! Please note that there is still plenty of great art on the site, but today is the last official day of the show!!! http://laluzdejesus.com/michelle-bickford-mondo-tiki-show/

It was a really fun afternoon - echoing what DC posted, thank you to Kinny, Big Toe, and Holden for spending the time to walk through their projects. After the excitement and bustle of the show's opening night, it was nice to spend some quality time with the art and mugs and just linger and chat.

I think I have some photos that I'll grab from my camera, but those reflections on the shelves were killer so probably not too much mug eye candy. :)

Thanks again guys!

kevin

First off,THANK YOU!!!
Thank you to la Luz gallery,Holden,Toe,and mostly
YOU all who attended yesterday's docent tour!
So much Love and History and insight and Secrets revealed!
I hope you all had as much fun as we did!
It's amazing to see the impact this Polynesian pop movement
has had on Art,fashion,Home decor,mugs,Bars,you name it!
I am humbled by the size,dedication,love,and support of this scene!
Such a celebration of Wonderful moments and a solid Ohana!
Thank each and every one of you for all the things you bring to our genre!
And a BIG BIG Mahalo to all of those who purchased my Coloring book
from the bookstore,i hope it provides you with HOURS of smiles!
and lastly, a HUGE Mahalo to the kind folks who adopted
FOUR of my pieces! 2 woodburns and 2 paintings! WOW!
It's always a delightful surprise when paintings sell....
that issue is usually at the bottom of the list,as love of painting comes first!
I'm going to especially miss "Too Much Information" with Derek's stellar frame....
Only had her framed and on the studio walls for a week....
At least we had that time together!
Bon Voyage Woodburnt and painted Children...
may you find happiness and love with your new families...

Here's a handful of photos from Saturday. I still need to work on taking photos of people. :)

Those mug shots are glaretastic!

Larger resolution versions (and some additional shots) up on Flickr.
https://flic.kr/s/aHskqfsyq3

kevin

Shit!!!

I thought they said the docent tour was Monday NOT Sunday!!

DOH!

Pages: 1 38 replies