Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Thatch dust

Pages: 1 5 replies

T

I installed a tiki in my backyard about a year ago. I put in a bar, decorated, and everything is great. However, I do notice that every day on my bar, there is a type of "dust" that seems to fall from the thatch. I don't know where it else it would come from? It is very fine and a little clumpy sometimes.

Has anyone else experienced this? I can't find anything on the internet. It's defintely not termite related. I know what their droppings look like.

Anyone know what this is?

First where are you?
is the bar wood or bamboo framed?

Tiki4, I think ATP is on the right track. If Bamboo is supporting your thatch examine the bamboo very carefully for holes that will be about 1/8th or 1/16th” in diameter. Bad news if you find the holes. The critters making the holes are probably powder post beetles. Could be termites but they don’t push as much “dust “ out of the bamboo as the beetles do. No getting rid of them unless they happen to get “fumigated” when you are tenting your house for the conventional termite treatment. I have 4”dia. bamboo used as crown moulding in one of my bedrooms that was in place when my house was tented and have not had any problems. All of the bamboo that I used under my patio (not tented) has had to be replaced due to the critters. Be sure to only use treated or cured bamboo from a reputable seller. I had gotten mine free from an arboretum and it was never treated or cured. Goggle Treating or curing bamboo for more info. I am not an expert so hopefully you’ll get more help from the kind folks on this forum.
Good luck

Exactly what I was thinking, David......

I have no experience with this. However, I bought some nice and fat kiln-dried bamboo poles from a farm in Central Florida last year. The kiln drying not only killed any insects, but it also drew out some natural oils which gave the bamboo a very nice shiny sheen. I think I paid something like $25 for each 8' pole.

bump

Pages: 1 5 replies