Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What was your first mug?

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

My first find was a plain old Green OH R-5.
My first Big score was Mr. Bali Hai.

BUMP!

This looks like a fun thread for a boring day.

Here's my first: Lenny (I think his name is Lenny)! Bought at a thrift store for $.99. Lenny showed me that Kansas City wasn't devoid of Tiki after all!

T

My first mugs were the set of accoutrements mugs, got them at Party City or something like that. One of my very next purchases was the Wahaku Warrior from the All About the Tiki show. I love that mug. My first vintage mug was a Kon Tiki mug from the Kon Tiki Hotel in Tucson, AZ.

F
foamy posted on Wed, Dec 21, 2005 8:50 AM

Orange Cheeky Tiki Big Belly with "Marsh Harbour" written across the bottom from a souvenir shop in Marsh Harbour, Abacos Bahamas. Didn't know I was gonna be collecting then.

The actual coconut mug pictured here. My sister brought it home from Don the Beachcomber, Houston, about 1976. The first mug I bought [1999, in a thrift] was the 'Droopy' mug pictured in the center of page 20 of Tiki Quest, except in pale yellow. I no longer have that one.

[ Edited by: johnnyvelvet 2013-06-17 15:41 ]

The lidded Moai from the Aku Aku. Still my favorite outta 3-4 hundred in my collection
Cheers

The Goof from Bali Hai... The were out of the Mr. Bali Hai. : (

[ Edited by: Kiwi Steve 2013-06-29 21:36 ]

When we lived in Atlanta, the folks went to Benihana's for some birthdays and brought home mugs. I preferred Farrell's for my birthday, even tho' I wasn't allowed one of their gigantic ice cream desserts. The 'rents didn't go to Trader Vic's cuz Benihana's was cheaper and had free parking. A couple of birthdays I asked to go so I couple get a TV skull mug. I would up with a Norcrest Skull instead. Have no idea where the 'rents found it. After over 30 years, still have it. Mostly drink coffee (sometimes "corrected") out of it.

HT

On 2013-06-30 11:12, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:

x2

T

I bought my first mug a only a couple of years ago. We were on a surf/tiki trip, and our first hotel room was at Humphry's Half Moon Inn in San Diego. We walked over to Trader Mort's, bought some Lopez Coconut Cream, pineapple juice, and Flor de Cana rum. I bought a Joe Vitale "Lil Waha Nui" mug, my wife bought "Kalifornia Ku" mug by Drew Brody, and my friend bought a "Rum Belly" mug by Flounder.
That's how it began...

Pages: 1 2 58 replies