Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Tommy Bahama Mai Tai

Pages: 1 6 replies

RB

Yeah.....I think I'll pass, but not for the reasons you'd think. I'm willin' to try just about anything and this would be no exception. Except..... the recipe calls for that mix, and you have to make a half gallon of it. It's good for a 3 day stretch in the fridge. That's quite a few "Mai-Tais" (making finger quotation marks in the air) in a 3 day bender to use it up. Could cut the recipe in half, but it calls for paturised egg whites. I'm guessing you have to buy this in a carton somewhere.....what the hell do I do with the rest of it?

I'll stick with the tried and true "Bali-Hai San Diego" recipe for home. Someday when I want to burn about 80 miles round trip of gas, I'll hit TB down south and try one.

howlinowl

PS.....Posting recipe below in case it goes bye-bye in the future. Somebody may want it in the future.

Tommy Bahama’s Mai Tai

1 ¾ parts Bacardi Superior
2 ½ parts Mai Tai mix (see recipe)
¼ parts fresh lime juice
¾ part pineapple juice
1 ¼ parts dark rum

Suggested glassware is a double rock if there are no pineapples available. Build in a shaker except the dark rum, top with ice, shake well until chilled, strain over fresh ice, top with dark rum and garnish with an orchid if available.

Mai tai mix:
(Recipe makes 1/2 gallon. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.)
3 oz. egg whites, pasteurized
2 cups sugar
4 cups water
3 ½ cups fresh lemon juice
¼ cup fresh lime juice
¼ cup fresh orange juice
Whisk egg whites in a large bowl until frothy, stir in the sugar and mix until incorporated and add water and fresh juices and mix thoroughly.

In my area you can get pasteurized in shell eggs. 2 of those should yield 3 ounces.

Or, cut the recipe in half easily - a quarter gallon is 32 ounces, which would yield 12 drinks. Maybe good for a party?

I've seen worse mai tais than this, but I'll stick to my current recipe.

A

I just think it's funny that a Tommy Bahama mai tai recipe doesn't include Tommy Bahama rum

RB

Nice catch, arriano. I was too turned off by the eggs to notice the rum choice!

On 2015-11-20 13:26, arriano wrote:
I just think it's funny that a Tommy Bahama mai tai recipe doesn't include Tommy Bahama rum

Ari, their rum was discontinued after a short time on the market. I bought a bottle cause I wanted the mug that came in their gift pack. Rum was not very good-I still have most of it in my bar. Funny, I found the T B mug at a yard sale in Newport Beach a couple of years ago. Could have saved some moolah and bar space.
Cheers

The Tommy Bahama mugs are 12oz, appear from eBay to have been manufactured in various shades of blue, and look fairly decent. Average cost for mugs appearing on eBay today, with shipping, hovers around $20 each.

Pages: 1 6 replies