Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Portland Tiki (was Largest Home Tiki Bar Allowed By Law)

Pages: 1 4 replies

mrtikibar -

I don't mind partying with geezers at all, being that I'm one myself (41). So far it looks as if the Portland tiki contingent consists of you, Frenchy (she's the coolest!), Maggie and me. A Portland crawl would be small indeed, though we've discussed the idea and considered including Castaway Cove (and now maybe your place?) on the roster. I'm also considering promoting a Polynesian Pop nigh at Jasmine Tree this fall, though plans are less than tentative at this point.

3 Monkeys on 23rd is another good spot for tiki stuff, and check out Bamboo Craftsman (in Belmont) for all your tiki bar building needs, like bamboo (BIG bamboo), thatching, etc.

Welcome to the list!

TikiMaxton,
If you are in St. John's, The Alibi must be fairly close. I wish I was in the loop earlier. I noticed you had Sven doing some research and lectures in Portland and it would have been great to take that in. I took my Book of Tiki to Palm Springs but I never could bring myself to bug the guy to sign it. (I'm sure he would have been happy to do so.)
Thanks for the tip on Bamboo Craftsman.
That is in my neck of the woods. When I started my basement project I got a deal on bamboo poles and screens when Import Plaza(over by Saturday market) closed down. Since then, materials have not been so cheap.
Bamboo timbers from local nurseries really
are expensive.
The deals you run into, though, can help even things out. The rattan bar and stools I found at Goodwill were so cheap it was almost embarrassing. Tiki on.

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2002-07-09 11:45 ]

I haven't found a Portland listing for Bamboo
Craftsman. I drove up Belmont St but did not find it. Is it new?

here's their website:
http://www.bamboocraftsman.com/index.html
I accidentally said Belmont when I mean Beaumont. Anyway, this is a cool place, and they're offering apprentiships! Just might look into that...

I found it. But they are open only on Saturdays without an appointment. The sign out front says the place is Broadleaf Craftsman so maybe that's the phonebook listing. Anyway, it looks cool. I've got a son about the age most apprentices start up.
Hmmmmm
What's up with the heat wave? Time to get the blender going.

Pages: 1 4 replies