Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Finally got a turtle for my tiki bar!

Pages: 1 21 replies

L
laney posted on Sat, Aug 9, 2003 1:38 PM

Eat your heart out TwoWheelin,

OK so it's not a real turtle but it is real Witco and is a killer foot rest! Not a bad find (ebay) for 10.50!

Seriously, the queen of Witco. I'm still working on finding my first piece. Maybe you could hook me up on your next find considering that you're probably working on doubles by now.

Sweet turtle, and no one was harmed for your foot resting enjoyment.

G

dam u Laney!

BEE-YATCH!!!.very cool,I would have got it just to irk the masses!.

Target has polyresin tortoise shell wall hangings. I'm sure some of the very talented artists on here could make it look more natural. They're about $40 in the stores and they aren't sold online.
http://www.target.com/p/nate-berkus-green-tortoise-shell/-/A-14138228#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=nate+berkus+tortise

Dimensions: 4.1 " H x 15.0 " W x 19.0 " D

In person this looks more yellow/brown.

HT

They've been sold out in stores here for AWHILE. I wanted to do my swap piece on one, but opted against it. I was hoping to catch them before they sold out, to no avail. They're really quite nice in person.

On 2013-04-30 08:13, Hale Tiki wrote:
They've been sold out in stores here for AWHILE. I wanted to do my swap piece on one, but opted against it. I was hoping to catch them before they sold out, to no avail. They're really quite nice in person.

They still had the yellow and white ones at the Westminster(CA)Mall Target. The green is my favorite.
There is one in each color up for auction on eBay.

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-04-30 08:27 ]

HT

Screw it, just found one for $30 shipped. It's yellow, but I'll work with it. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0XXmVts1y0

¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸TIKISKIP,Lights,ECT¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

HAH!

On 2013-04-30 08:06, tikilongbeach wrote:
Target has polyresin tortoise shell wall hangings. I'm sure some of the very talented artists on here could make it look more natural. They're about $40 in the stores and they aren't sold online.
http://www.target.com/p/nate-berkus-green-tortoise-shell/-/A-14138228#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=nate+berkus+tortise

Dimensions: 4.1 " H x 15.0 " W x 19.0 " D

In person this looks more yellow/brown.

I sort of took this as a personal challenge. I had always wanted a tortoise shell for the Kanaloa lounge, but the chances of me finding a (legal) vintage one are very slim here in Calgary, Alberta. So here's what I came up with (using the Target Nate Berkus turtle shell, some spray paint and enamel model paints):

I got the Yellow Ochre one for half price! Here I am taping off the shell.

Taping off is done and I've applied some spray paint, and now I'm starting to peel off the tape:

All the tape is peeled off here:

Here is the shell after I've gone back into it with a small brush and model paints:

There is another step that I don't have a photo of here...it was where I coated the finished product in a matte coating (to reduce the glossiness). I'll get a photo of the finished product if anyone is interested.

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2013-09-25 13:54 ]

NICE!!! Does target still carry those or did you pick it up somewhere else like eBAY? Looking forward to the finished pic

HT

Please do.

I bought the same one for the same purpose, and was considering using wax to build up layers to make it look like a real shell. It was going to be a long arduous process. I'd be curious to see your finished product.

On 2013-09-25 15:22, MadDogMike wrote:
NICE!!! Does target still carry those or did you pick it up somewhere else like eBAY? Looking forward to the finished pic

I found mine at Target. My wife loves to shop there, so I sort of waited until they went down in price (as it seemed few were interested in this product). When it hit half price on clearance for $20, I pounced. What can I say? I'm cheap.

MDM, I haven't seen any available in So Cal for a few months.

Slacks Ferret, challenge conquered! That looks great.

The Target website list the yellow one on clearance for $20 and the white one for $40. But when you click on the item it says "currently unavailable online, not available in store". Amazon has one for $65 and eBay has a couple for $90!

H

Slacks F: That is some really cool paint job you did on the shell. Really steps it up a notch. I got the yellow one at Goodwill for seven dollars and was happy just to have it hanging up in the fish net from the ceiling....but now...I think I got to try and copy your work...it really looks good !!!

F

Wow, that looks fantastic, Slacks Ferret. Please post a pic of your finished work when ready.

On 2013-09-25 13:51, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Here is the shell after I've gone back into it with a small brush and model paints:

There is another step that I don't have a photo of here...it was where I coated the finished product in a matte coating (to reduce the glossiness). I'll get a photo of the finished product if anyone is interested.

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2013-09-25 13:54 ]

Yeah...sorry. I forgot to get that photo. I'll work on that this week.

those would have made cool wall sconces - just build a fixture behind it to hold a socket and bulb and hang on the wall so light shines out from under and around it. - just like trader vics !!

Here it is. Not really MUCH better, but a little better:

Essentially I sprayed the whole thing with Frosted Glass spray. It takes down the reflective glare a little.

Pages: 1 21 replies