Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

"International Day After Tiki Day" 8/10/03.........

Pages: 1 2 54 replies

.....so, was it worth it???

M

Speaking for myself, I had a damn fine evening. I hope the rest of my No. Cal guests did as well. Lets get some photos into this thread!

S

Yo, Rev!

International Tiki Day was more than worth it and we were only there for a few hours! This was definitely the party of year!

Thank you Bax and Sarah for opening your home to the Tiki Ohana. Your hut is awesome and performances by the Smokin Menehunes, Crazy Al, King Kukulele, Iuka Grogg and members of the Mai Kai gents was da kine!

Special thanks to Tiki Bong for coming up with idea, all the performers, and especially Big Al & Shelly for your incredible mixology. You guys make a mean mojito! It was great seeing you all again and some new faces that I hadn't seen before.

Since many of you 'campers' are probably still celebrating, I propose that for next year you change it to International Tiki Weekend (or International Tiki Week for that matter!). One day just doesn't do it justice.

On a side note, I got a call from Inkylouise last night on the way home wishing everyone a Happy International Tiki Day! She was very envious of the celebration we had in So. Cal. Don't worry Inky, we'll celebrate in six weeks when I come to NY.

Once again, many mahalos for a great party!

P

And don't forget the great firedance performance later that night. I guess it was pretty impromptu, arranged at the last minute. A real island performance!

Yes, it was the party of the year and a great start for a new tradition.

T

Here ya go guys- a fun ITD party was had by all at Martin & Rebecca's Foggy Grotto last night!

The quote of the night was said by Martin to Ray as he was leaving, "Is that a pepper shaker in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?" Ray had earlier jokingly "lifted" some of Martins S&P shakers :)
I was in the John at the time....boy is it hard to pee when you're laughing :D

A BIG mahalo to Mix-master Martin & Rebecca for hosting! Martin is a god at making drinks! Great to see everyone that was there and lookin' forward to the next one!

Martin & Rebecca sing show tunes

TikiBot's killer tiki-tat

The trivia challenge for wonderful prizes!

Who invited the devil?? :)

mahalo and 135 to everyone!
Mike
http://www.tradervic.com
http://www.tikiroom.net

[ Edited by: TikiHula on 2003-08-10 16:55 ]

Thank you very much to Baxdog and family. You were all such gracious hosts to open your home for an incredible party and super fun sleepover. My entire family had a great time. My daughter was in the pool for 3 hours straight on Saturday evening.

The food spread was awesome, King Kukalele and Iuka Grogg were great. Bong and his band, the hula and fire dancers...... AL the wicked mixmaster kept us all from thirst for the ENTIRE event. A big hats off to you all for tending bar for more than 8 hours.

I have more than an hour of video to edit from the party. When I am finished, we will try and figure out a method of distribution. Perhaps I can secure some server space from Hanford for a low res video of the event.

This was a high bar to set to the FIRST Annual International Tiki Day. I am looking forward to the next one.

I hope that all of you TC folk elsewhere in the country were able to gather with eachother and celebrate a fun past time.

I better get some rest. Polypop's party is in 6 days so I need to prepare for another great weekend.

What a GREAT group of people!!!!!!

Monkeyman and Family

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2003-08-10 22:39 ]

D

Hey, I was just looking through the messages and saw the pics you guys posted of International Tiki day. Question for Martin & Rebecca, how do you have the record albums hung around the walls? I've got a lot of great albums that are too many to put in albums randomly around the house, but this looks like a great way to display the albums!! Any information would be great.

M

Nothing fancy- there's a ring of moulding running around the walls of the living room, and they're just resting on that. For the others, just two small nails to create a little shelf for the sleeve to rest on. Not through the sleeve! And another nail with a small head at the top to keep it from falling forward.

D

Thanks! It just is such a great idea for those of us with a lot of cool records with cool album covers.

International Tiki Day was a blast! Thanks Bong for putting this day together and Thanks Baxdog for hosting this celebration at your home! The entertainment was fantastic -- Smoking Menehunes, King Kukulele and an impromptu performance from the Mai Kai Gents. I missed the firedancer, drat!

Can't wait til next years!!!

Martin!
Cool pics man! I like that huge drink TheJab is drinking out of....then I noticed the WITCO table! Good find!

Wow! What a great ITD celebration at Baxdog's. A good time was had by all. Great to see the familiar and new faces of our ever-growing ohana.

I also dug having members from 4 tiki bands on on stage at the same time - Judd from Mai Kai Gents, Crazy Al from Ape, King Kukulele from well,... King Kukulele, and their willing understudies - The Smokin' Menehunes!

Thanks SugarCaddyDaddy for hauling my alcohol soaked ass back home (even though waking up on the front lawn was kinda weird - damn sprinklers!)

I don't know if we can top this next year, but you gotta set your goals high.

I hope everyone else on the board had a good time also.

T

I had a ball at the Foggy Grotto. After a few sips from that huge drink - yes, I shared it with everyone despite what the picture shows - and Martin's excellent Tortuga, followed by an incredible Puka Punch, I was practically floating around the room. Martin and Rebecca are such gracious hosts - everything was superb, from the perfect drinks loaded with fancy garnishes to the fun trivia contest with prizes. Thank you for a swell time!

TikiHula, you need to use that red-eye filter
:evil:

T

We had a great time as well. See my nearly identical pics to TikiHula's on the other thread:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5007&forum=4&13

Here is the big tiki in Bax's front yard. I had to brighten the pic and bring up the contrast so you can see it more clearly. It was really much darker and more moody than this image would suggest. Note other glowing-eyed tikis in bushes.

Tiny bubbles

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-08-11 15:42 ]

S

Love those big tikis!

And Baxter's swimmin' dawg too!

Here's that dawg now:

Here's Atomic caressing the Cabana Boy:

Crazy Al carves a palm frond:

Here be the frond up close:

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-08-11 16:11 ]

Is there any way we can have less pictures of the So Cali gig?

Nope, and here's one without you in it.

On 2003-08-11 16:39, floratina wrote:
Nope, and here's one without you in it.

Ha, Ha Tina,

I didn't mean Me (I see that a-hole Bong everyday). I meant all the other sights: tent city, fire dancers, hula dancers, lewd shots of Baxdog's privates, diving dog, Laney, Judd, Tina, Al mixing drinks.

I mean the No Cali's are gonna think we're wimps!

Reporting in from the Houston ITD celebration, but photo-less so far. We were small in numbers, but not in spirit (nor in spirit-consumption). Mark from Phoenix (a Tiki Oasis veteran), Kilikopela, and two friends of mine here, Scott and Laura, joined me at my home for Castaways and exotica tunes. The last two were so inspired, they're having a luau this Saturday!

We called Martiki6 to link into the multi-state simultaneous toast, which sorta didn't happen, but it was nice to know that celebrations were going on all over the world on this momentous 1st ITD!

Good thing I have folding-bed couches for guests who can't hold their liquor - HA :wink: !

Iuka and King:

Potentially licentious behavior. Hey, look, its our friend, Sacrificial Tiki from the HB Bonfire:

Patio tiki:

There were 18 or so who stayed over night! Here is tent city:

We were treated to Bax's special colorful pancakes. On this morning, they were blue:

Breakfast time with Bax and KukuiNut:

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-08-11 19:32 ]

Hi

Hi, I had a blast at Baxdog's place! Everything was fantastic. I did notice that the blue pancakes are turning something else green--yuck! Also thanks to Holden for the gifts he handed out!! Gota go now, Venusflugel signing off!

blue poo
blue poo
blue poo
he he he he he he eh eh eh eh eh eh

What a Celebration! What can I say that hasnt already been said. Thank you Bax and Sarah!
Upon my arrival, I felt immediately transported to a tropical paradise with the music, balmy night, torches, food, tiki lights, fog, fire dancer with the hula girls, tiki drinks and company of tiki people...the "bar" indeed has been raised.
How you top it, I dont know? It will be fun trying though.
It was a pleasure meeting everyone and celebrating the 1st International Tiki Day with you all. Aloha!

Thank you for youe hospitality Sarah and Baxter! What a great event, and I mean EVENT. As usual, another wonderful tiki family celebration, with great food, great drinks, excellent entertainment, and phenomenal(sp?) weather! So sorry I missed breakfast, but I had business to take care of on Sunday. Believe me, my heart was with you! I'm so fortunate to have this chance to get to know so many sincere and supportive people!

Mahalo!

Before I knew it , it was one something in the morning. Thanks Sarah and Baxta! Thanks to all , but a big mahalo to big Al. Don't say I didn't try to rescue you.

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2003-08-11 23:51 ]

Thanks again Baxter and Sarah. Had a great time. Mahalo.

Thanks Bax,
What a night.
Great drinks. Great bands. Exciting fire dancing. Slobber dog. More music. Delicious eats. Drink more. Dr. Z's hangover cure, no way, don't need it.
Oh, my head.

Suffering Velour

Bax: DUDE!
Kukui: DUDE!
Bong: DUDE!
Al: DUDE!
Shelley: DUDE!
King: DUDE!
Spike: DUDE!
Crazy Al: DUDE!
Flora: DUDE!
Cole: DUDE! (Best tongue in a long time)
Everyone: Mahalo!

What a terrific party! Wow! Thanks to the whole Alex Hale for hosting us all, Al for inebriating us all and the guests for keeping it fun for us all. Here are some photos:

Vintage Girl and Crazy Al caught in the act!

Iuka Grogg and King Kukulele caught in their shtick!

Cheeky Girl caught between Iuka Grogg and King Kukulele!

Casey J. and Holden caught in conversation!

Al, Polynesian Pop and Baxdog caught behind the bar!

On 2003-08-11 16:09, floratina wrote:
Here's that dawg now:

Hey Tina,

Gotta luv the Baxdog Dawg!

Any pix of the diving dawg?

If I had an action shot of the pooch, I would have posted it fer sure. I just realized that maybe the dog's name is spelled "Coal" instead of "Cole". Maybe not, because Bax hasn't mocked me yet.

All I can say is WOW!

Our hosts, all my fellow Hoity Toity TC celebrators, the entertainment, the food, our wonderful mixologist-who kept us in good spirits all night long, the music, the drinks, the drinks, did I mention the drinks. Everything was nothing short of fantastic!

My compliments to everyone who made ITD the place to be!

CA

The Bax is so fun it is true
So fun his pancakes are a wonderful Hue
But it most be said
That the fun is just not in his head
And not only violets are blue.... OR GREEN!

Hey Flugle Venous Sausagen Hi’mer... I also gave the Tidy Bowl Man a ‘Run’ for his money. I thought I ate my grass skirt???

What a fun time! However, I did have mix feelings of blowing off the first Don Ho appearance on the mainland in 30 years... even tooooo wiped out to catch the local show on Sunday in Orange County. But tiki works in mysterious ways! On Tues. I caught old Don AKA ‘AL Moana’ on a local KRAP TV afternoon showing of ‘McCloud’... Denise Weaver never did sport a Hawaiian Print the whole show, but Don and the rest where super seventies stylei as the cowboy cased crooked Ho across Hawaii!!

This was great because it convinced me that the The Smokin' Menehunes
kick Don’s Royal Hawaiian Ass as far as Energy and a Fun Loven Tiki Time Goes!

Thanks to all

BLUE POO
BLUE POO
BLUE POO
OOOOOOOOO what fun!!!!

The idea came from a guy named Bong
He cared not if it right or not if it wrong
First off we needed a place you see
Let's do it at Baxdog's, hey that's me
So now the real work had to begin
Collecting the booze, but not to much gin
Decorate the house, put up the lights
Lots of long hours, to many bug bites
My wife and my kids helped out every day
Listening to grumpy daddy was their only pay
Now the day was here, nothing out of place
It sure kicked my ass and put my wallet in outer space
Crazy Al was first, he trickled in at two
He should have won best dressed, he was tiki thru and thru
The food it started piling up almost thru the roof
When we started to put it away at 3:30 it was gone with a poof
The man that made drinks, some know him as Al K.
Never left his post all night that started as a day
The band set up on a stage that was in the trees and grass
King Kuk opened with some fun, the Menehunes kicked some ass
Now more fun with the Uke and Kuk joined by Iuka Grog
Bubble machine was flowing and stage right there was some fog
Chief Toma and Wahines created music and dance Polynesia
With fire and swaying hips it created a slight amnesia
There was 60 or 70 I did not count I'll never know
It could have been 100 if it wasn't for Don Ho
I love my Tiki family I want to kiss them on the lips
Especially the 3 Wahines that went up and shook their hips
To many to name, but to all thanks so much
You all made ITD go off with a soft touch
So it was off to tent city with rum filled heads that ache
But when you sleep at the dog pound in breakfast you partake
3 pounds of sausage 3 pounds of bacon
That's just enough grease to keep the heart ache-in
I thought the cakes would be fun the color blue
I didn't know, I didn't know, it does the same to poo
I'm tired now I have to sleep, one more thing to say
Who's house is next year for International TIKI Day?

Geez! How long did it take you to compose that epic. Good work Bax. I want to thank Bax and Sarah and the whole family for hosting an incredible event. Everything was perfect from the decorations to the jungle soundtrack playing through out the night and the plentiful booze. Bax's backyard was absolutely amazing.

Thanks for all the compliments about our band. I'm pretty excited to see where we can take it from here. I think Crazy Al may become a perminent fixture on the cocunuts.

Good pics everyone. Can't wait for next year. Oh, and why screw with a good thing. We'll just all meet back at your house again next year Bax. Wadayou think about that?

Heard nuthin but bad things about the Barracuda show that was on the same day. A freindof mine was one of teh burlesque dancers, she told me DonHo's performance was bad and the burlesque revue was sloppy as hell. Man I'm glad I went to Bax's instead.

A most impressive and may I add, Awesome poem, Mr. Baxdog. Does anyone have photos of the hula maidens and Chief Tama G dancing around the dinner table whileKing Kukulele and Iuka Grogg strummed? Please post 'em! That was such an incredible few minutes. Mahalo.

-Weird Unc

On 2003-08-13 10:57, suicide_sam wrote:
Heard nuthin but bad things about the Barracuda show that was on the same day. A freindof mine was one of teh burlesque dancers, she told me DonHo's performance was bad and the burlesque revue was sloppy as hell. Man I'm glad I went to Bax's instead.

Oiy!!!
I'm pissed I missed INTD at Bax's Fala (house).
The Don Ho Show sucked... I couldn't drink enough to take away the pain.

Don lip sang/sung songs....
How do we know??? because the track would occasionally turn off. Don never moved from behind his console and the audience sing along was dubbed. I looked around, there were not that many people singing along.

The burlesque show took forvever to start and was poorly organized... after filling up on overpriced drinks, I had to leave.

I love braddah Don for his work and the nastalgic feeling that his music brings... but I was not feeling the love that night.

If I didn't have an early Sunday morning commitment in Pasedena, I would have surely been laying face down in a puddle of blue pancakes at baxdog's.

ITD crowd... please have no regrets about missing Don Ho!! You made the right choice.
:tiki:

On 2003-08-13 11:37, weirduncletiki wrote:
Does anyone have photos of the hula maidens and Chief Tama G dancing around the dinner table whileKing Kukulele and Iuka Grogg strummed? Please post 'em! That was such an incredible few minutes. Mahalo.

-Weird Unc  

Comin' your way within a couple of days, Weird Uncle.

hey vintagegirl..........I'm gonna show mom that picture if you don't give me that cool Tiki mug you got.(hee-hee) :wink:

Iuka, (see I didn't call you Judd that time, damn it, I guess I just did) I had to leave right as that kitchen party was starting. It's probably better that I did leave, things were starting to get real fuzzy. The minutes that I did witness though, I was sitting next to Atomic on the floor in the corner as he babbled drunkenly(?) about who knows what. Bummer I missed it, it looked like it was shaping up to be a good time.

CA

Man Iuka, I guess I missed your magical moments.... I found myself on a patio lounge discussing Venus Strudel or some such things with Mr. Smiley Pants as the couch slowly took flight.... I knew what this meant and went for a walk to find steadier ground. I checked a message on my phone, a call in from TX ITD! Formikahini! and my Desert TikiRat bud (of 20 some odd years) calling in a big ALoooooooHA! to all of us in So Cal. This all happened in a spare bedroom where the carpet seemed to become the perfect soft grassy patch under a tropical palm... my eyes told me “we need a rest before the second wind kicks in..” Next thing I know I get kicked by a Tiki Angel... “hey, it’s 4:30 in the morning and time to go to bed”... a sleeping bag and pillow was tossed over me and Blue Hawaiian pancakes awaited me in the morning...........Magical....

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2003-08-14 11:44 ]

Flying couches? Blue pancakes?!? MrSmiley's venusflugel?!!!?

Darn. I hated to miss this. Next time for sure.

Perhaps Hanford needs to create a Tiki Poet Laureate position.

sigh,

tikivixen

Finally! Got my pics uploaded. Here ya go:
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32b725f455a

Pages: 1 2 54 replies