Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 11-25-15 Thanksgiving

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: November 25, 2015

On this week’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we entertained some thermodelicious thoughts and masticatory musical offerings to mark the upcoming celebration of Thanksgiving and all of its fiestable comestibles.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. The Johnny Noble song “King Kamehameha (Take A),” recorded in 1934 and found on the righteous retrospective: Sol Hoopii and His Novelty Quartette – Classic Hawaiian Steel Guitar Performances 1933-34, featuring Mr. Hoopii on Vocal and Steel Guitar.

2. “Boogie Woogie Blue Plate” drawn with tongs from the blistering box set: Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five, who recorded it in the late 1940s.

3. “Bakery Blues” waxed in 1945 by Jo Stafford and Her V-Disc Playboys, with Billy Butterfield on Trumpet, Lou McGarity on Trombone, Hank D’Amico on Clarinet, Boomie Richmond on Tenor Sax, Bill Rowland on Piano, Hy White on Acoustic Guitar, Jack Lesberg on Bass and George Wettling on Drums, found on the ample anthology: V-Disc All Stars – With the Singers.

4. “Swedish Pastry,” composed by the guitarist Barney Kessel, based on the tune “Carvin’ the Bird,” and performed live at the Clique Restaurant in Philadelphia in 1948 by The Benny Goodman Septet, with Goodman and Ake “Stan” Hasselgard on Clarinets, Wardell Gray on Tenor Sax, Billy Bauer on Guitar, Arnold Fishkin on Bass and Mel Zelnick on Drums, distilled from the bulging box set: The Wardell Gray Story.

5. “Feed Me,” written by Jon Hendricks and recorded live in 1962 at Basin Street East in New York City by Lambert, Hendricks & Bavan on their lithesome LP: Swingin’ Till the Girls Come Home, featuring Yolande Bavan joining Dave Lambert, and Jon Hendricks following the departure of Annie Ross from their vocal trio. They were backed by Guido Mahones on Piano, Pony Poindexter on Soprano Sax, George Tucker on Bass and Jimmie Smith on Drums.

6. “Chicken Rhythm” came from the commensal collection: Slim Gaillard – Laughing in Rhythm, waxed in 1946 featuring Mr. Gaillard on vocal with Lucky Thompson on Tenor Sax, Howard McGhee on Trumpet and Dodo Marmarosa on Piano.

7. “The Grain Belt Blues,” from Peggy Lee’s 1961 alimentary album: Blues Cross Country, with Jimmy Rowles on Piano, Howard Roberts on Electric Guitar, Max Bennett on Bass and Stan Levey on Drums.

8. “Recipe for Romance,” composed by Roy Alfred and Marvin Fisher and sung in 1950 by Mel Torme, found on his compound compilation: Love Me or Leave Me.

9. “Oink, Oink Mambo,” composed by Billy May and performed in 1950 by Chuy Reyes, derived from the combustive collection: Ultra-Lounge Mambo Fever – Samba! Rhumba! Hot Cha-Cha-Cha!

10. “Banana Split for My Baby,” composed by Stan Irwin and Louis Prima, recorded in 1956 and used in 1959 in the movie he starred in with his wife Keely Smith titled Hey, Boy! Hey, Girl! Found on the reliquarious retrospective: Louis Prima – Complete Collectors Series, featuring Willie McCumber on Piano and Sam Butera on Tenor Sax.

11. “Red Beans” a/k/a “I Got My Mojo Working,” performed by the pianistic pedagogue Professor Longhair on his 1979 lagniappe-ish LP: Crawfish Fiesta, joined by Dr. John on Electric Guitar; Tony Dagradi and Andy Kaslow on Tenor Sax, Jim Moore on Baritone Sax, David Lee Watson on Bass; Alfred "Uganda" Robertson on Conga Drums and Johnny Vidacovich on Drum Kit.

12. The Sly Stewart classic “Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)” sung in 1974 by Eddie Jefferson on his superlatitious CD: Vocalease, supported by Joe Newman on Trumpet, Mickey Tucker on Organ, Sam Jones on Bass and Eddie Gladden on Drums.

13. “Sweet Kentucky Ham,” written, sung and played by Dave Frishberg on his incomparable compact disc: Classics, recorded in the early 1980s.

14. “Sweet Home Cookin' Man,” composed and sung by the copacetic canary Karrin Allyson on her 1994 musical feast: Sweet Home Cookin’ ably supported by Ella Fitzgerald’s favorite accompanist, Paul Smith on Piano, along with Rod Fleeman on Acoustic Guitar, Bob Bowman on Bass and Todd Strait on Drums.

Pages: 1 0 replies