Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Rum Cake - 151?

Pages: 1 4 replies

In short:
Has anyone baked rum cake using 151 (of any kind) and did you have to modify cook time/measurements to account for the higher alcohol content?

The long way round:
Rum cake recipes generally call for a rum poured directly into the batter, and then additional rum added to a butter/sugar mixture as a glaze, and the glaze is also injected into the cake after baking for additional pockets of heaven. I like my cakes to be really boozy but have yet to find anyone who complains about the cake regardless of how boozy it is or isn't.

Most recently I did a pretty plain Cruzan White with Cruzan White Glaze (ended up being the most boring cake ever, even if everyone liked it). I've previously done a Mount Gay XO with a Hamilton Demarara glaze (pretty great), and if my boozy memory servers me, I've done a Kracken with a Appleton Estate Extra glaze.
I'm thinking that a 151 is a little TOO boozy to use as the glaze, but if added to the batter I figure it's going to require some modification to cook time or quantity due to the higher alcohol content. There's plenty of other cool combinations (I'm looking at you Old Monk) but 151 is somewhat of a puzzler.

Before I sacrifice some cakes and/or rum, has any of you tiki-philes run through this before?

Thanks in advance!

S

My wife has done it. Said there's no difference in baking. Just be careful of fume buildup if you're baking multiples.

Cool, thanks Staredge!

Hey Tool, I use the rum in the batter and in the baked cake version. I’ve tried several types/brands of rum but I like using Meyers Dark. Might give Coruba a shot though.
Cheers
Btw, We serve the seniors at my fern society’s Christmas party the Meyers Rum cake every year. They get very giggly.

It's pretty interesting how the different rums turn it into a completely different cake. Much like how different they are in the glass. :wink:

That's pretty hilarious, giggly seniors scarfing down rum cake. :)

Pages: 1 4 replies