Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Demerara rum & Intoxica

Pages: 1 9 replies

I just received my copy of "Intoxica" today and it looks great. I can't wait to start sampling the recipes. Which leads me to... demerara rum! I am having a DEVIL of a time finding any. ONCE in a local store, I found ONE bottle of El Dorado gold demerara rum and El Dorado Dark demerara rum, which I bought, but I have been unable to find anything else anywhere in the Central Florida area. I have even asked the clerks and they all look at me like I'm speaking another language.

Anyone have any good leads? I'd love to find a bottle of Lemon Hart regular and 151.

I'll be in Atlanta for hukilau if anyone knows of anyplace there, and I'll be on the road from Orlando to Cincinati via I-75, so if anyone has any leads I'm willing to jump off the highway to find some.

I swear, I'm not an alcoholic. Really!

-Mike

K

Mike, Atlanta is home to the Toco Hills GIANT Package Store... It's a liquor store the size of a grocery store... it has Demerara and everything else.
El Dorado is indescribably good. For months after I first got some, I would only drink it straight because it is sooo good. But one day, at an amazing bar/restaurant in Atlanta called Cafe Intermezzo (their cocktail menue is a fascinating BOOK) I asked for their version of a mai tai. Feeling spunky, I said "and put in El Doroado.." And would you believe the wonderful, unique flavor of the El Dorado made it out through all the ingredients of the mai tai! Now I put it in really special mixed drinks and it gives them a whole new dimension.
The flavor is indescribably brown sugar rich, smoky and fiery. ...but then you've tried it, so you know...
And I don't know what liquor prices are in florida, but they are insane in conservative aladamnbama. I find many things $10 less or more in Atlanta, and of course the selection rocks.

[ Edited by: kahukini on 2002-07-09 21:35 ]

A

http://www.liquorama.net/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=200&1=209&2=-1
LIQUOR-RAMA!!!!!
A good site. I've always received my shipment promptly, and they have a large selection.

To further demonstrate the backwardness of my state: it is illegal to ship liquor or wine into the state (unless it's being purchased by the state alcoholic beverage control board)

T

http://www.caribbeanrums.com has Lemon Hart regular, as well as Eldorado.
http://www.internetwines.com has Eldorado

I have not tried these sellers yet as my stash of Lemon Hart hasn't run out yet so I can't vouch for them. I found my regular Lemon Hart by scrounging around old liquor stores and buying up what I could find. The Lemon Hart 151 is still available in my area (Northern California).

I have yet to try the Eldorado brand but I may when I run out of Lemon Hart as it sounds pretty good for the price. It comes in the 5-year old that is cheaper than Lemon Hart, and the 12-year old that was rated #1 among 40 premium rums in a tasting competition for 3 years out of 6, for less than $30.

T

That's tough that you can't get booze shipped to Florida.

I had a hard time looking for Pimento Liquour in Florida. They thought I was crazy, too! You would think with Florida being so close to Jamaica that they would have heard of it.

Speaking of Jamaican Rum has anyone tried Plantation Rum? It is in the expensive booze section of Costco. I was wondering if it is worth a try.

Hey Mike,
We have Lemon Hart in CT. Demerara 80 and 151. I'll gladly send them to you if you can't find them in your travels. Of course labelling them "RUM" might cause some problems in shipping. The state just wants their tax money. That's why shipping isn't allowed to FL.

p.s. ( The first step to admitting your an alcoholic is to deny it;) )

~Mark

Everyone needs to go out and try some Cachaca (last c has a squiggle under it)... it's new to my market as far as I know... it's a native Brazilian liquor distilled straight from the fermented sugar syrup rather than converting to molasses first as you do in rum... it tastes like a "tequila rum." It's been around since the 1500's in Brazil I think, but only recently has its image improved to make it a worthy cocktail and sipping liquor for rich americans. It's pronounced ca-sha-sa

The main drink is a great alternative to a margarita. Tastes much more exotic and tropical: Mix a jigger or two of Cachaca with a couple jiggers of fresh lime juice and a couple of teaspoons of brown sugar. shake with ice and pour... it's a Caipirinha (koo-per-een-ya i think)

A

For those in the LA/OC area, there's a nice little South American restaurant called Little Joe's in the city of Orange (or nearby - same area code at least) with authentic Peruvian / Chilean food and some nice drinks with Cachaca, Pisco, and other S. American brandies. They also have a ~5 ft moai out front, and a neat old mural in the back dining area. Friendly owner too. Not really much tiki though.

Pages: 1 9 replies