Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 12-9-15 First Xmas Show

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: December 9, 2015

On this week’s show we marked this most tubular and tinselated time of year in true Tikiphile fashion.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Christmas Day (La Kalikimaka)” by Eddie Kamae and The Sons of Hawaii from their sumptuous CD: Christmas Time.

2. “Pomaika`i Wale Ko Ke Ao (Joy to the World),” sung by Amy Hanaiali’i on her auspicious album: A Hawaiian Christmas, featuring Jeff Peterson and David “Chino” Montero on Acoustic Guitars, with Stephen Jones on Bass.

3. “Winter Wonderland,” the 1934 song by Felix Bernard and Richard B. Smith, performed by Cindy Combs on the copious compilation: Hawaiian Slack-Key Christmas.

4. “Ke Aloha Kalikimaka” by Keali’i Reichel from his CD: Maluhia, arranged by Matt Catingub.

5. “Carol of the Bells,” played by the Ukulele Master Kalei Gamiao with Todd Adamski on Acoustic Guitar and Bass, and Richard Ricardo on Percussion, taken from the ample anthology: An Ukulele Christmas.

6. “Mele Kalikimaka,” the Robert Alex Anderson classic found on the cracking compact disc: Chris Isaak Christmas.

7. “The Night Before Christmas,” the 1923 poem by Clement Clarke Moore credited with creating much of our image of Santa Claus, performed by King Kukulele & the Friki Tikis on their seasonable CD: Luau in December, with King Kukulele (Denny Monaghan) on Vocal and Steel Guitar and Laura Thatcher sharing Vocal duties, Bora Bora Bonebrake (DJ Bonebrake) on Vibes and Malahini Marc (Marc Doten) on Glockenspiel.

8. “We Four Kings (We Three Kings & Little Drummer Boy)” recorded in 1995 by The Blue Hawaiians on their creditable compact disc: Christmas on Big Island, including Mark Fontana on Bass, Mark Sproull on Electric Guitar, Bron Tieman on Steel Guitar and maxwellvision [CQ] on Drums. Recorded.

9. “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” composed by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane and introduced by Judy Garland in the 1944 movie: Meet Me In St. Louis, sung by the Hawaiian trio Na Leo Pilimehana on their scintillacious CD: Christmas Gift 2

10. “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen,” the Traditional English Carol performed by Brad White and Pierre Grill, taken from their antic album: Winters Journey.

11. “Christmas Present for Sallie” by The De Paur Chorus, Led by Conductor Leonard De Paur, who hails from that exotic Caribbean location of Summit, N.J., found on the righteous recording: Calypso Christmas.

12. “Jingle Bell Rock” the 1957 song inked by Joseph Carleton Beal and James Ross Boothe, played by The Mermen on their salubrious CD: Do You Hear What I Hear: A Very Mermen Christmas, with Jim Thomas on Guitars, Allen Whitman on Bass and Martyn Jones on Drums.

13. “(Everybody's Waitin' For) The Man With the Bag,” the song by Harold Stanley, Irving Taylor and Dudley Brooks waxed in 1950 by Kay Starr, derived from the cool compilation: Ultra Lounge: Christmas Cocktails 1.

14. “Hot Christmas Squirrel” performed by the Squirrel Nut Zippers and found on their capacious compact disc: Christmas Caravan.

15. “You're All I Need for Christmas,” written by Chris Caswell, who also appears on Electric Piano, drawn from singer Karrin Allyson’s secretive CD: Yuletide Hideaway, with Rod Fleeman on Electric Guitar, Lee Sklar on Bass and Todd Strait on Drums.

16. “I Wonder as I Wander,” A Christian folk hymn that was found as a fragment and filled out in 1934 by the American folklorist and singer John Jacob Niles, vocalized and pianistically rendered by Harry Connick Jr. on his Creole compact disc: Harry for the Holidays, spotlighting Jimmy Greene on Tenor Sax.

17. “Douce Nuit (Silent Night),” the 1818 carol composed by Franz Xaver Gruber to lyrics by Joseph Mohr, performed for us by Kali (a/k/a Jean-Marc Monnerville), and found on the collaborative collection: Christmas Around the World.

Pages: 1 0 replies