Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Every Last Thursday: Shipwreck'd @ Porco Lounge & Tiki Bar (CLE, OH)

Pages: 1 19 replies

Taking the advice of Mike and Marie, I’m posting this event here. It’s been going strong for the last couple months.

Info:
Shipwreck'd ! @ Porco Lounge & Tiki Bar (Cleveland, OH)
Last Thursday of the Month (NEXT DATE: JANUARY 28TH).
7pm to Close. Free.
Vinyl-only Night. Relive the crushed velvet lounge scene of 60's and 70's.

Top Prize: Awarded to Most Outrageous vintage cocktail lounge attire. (Best place in CLE to show-off your leisure suits, crushed velvet tuxes, maxi dresses, jumpsuits, silk evening gowns, rayon pantsuits, polyester big-collars, corduroy vests, etc.)

Background:
Stefan, owner, said he wanted to reach out to other Tiki-philes to make this a special night for those in the know. From my understanding there was a die-hard group that would meet on the regular at the B-Side Lounge before Porco’s existed and now it’s time to resurrect the group for 2016.

Plus I’ll be spinning my collection of rare and unusual LPs and 45s of exotica and beyond. Belgian popcorn, doo-wop, surf/garage, rhythm & blues, bossa nova and my specialty….vanity pressed local hotel lounge bands.

The type of lounge bands that would perform nightly at a Holiday Inn or the Tangier in the early 70’s. Strange covers of Sly and the Family Stone, the “Star Wars Theme” on steel drums, medleys of songs that all contain the word “sun” in the title, and creative hybrids (ie. “All along the godtower“ a mix of “the Godfather theme” and Hendrix/Dylan’s “All along the watchtower.” All with a sophisticated, heavy organ (or moog) cocktail feel.

Take a sip of a sample mix at: https://www.mixcloud.com/max-payola/

Thanks and hope to see you there,
Greg (DJ Max Payola)

P

We are super excited for this event, and sincerely hope it continues to grow in bringing together and building the local Tiki community. We are humbled daily by all of the enthusiets new and old that come to Porco, and thank Tiki Central for being the conduit that not only provided us the inspiration and history to build Porco Lounge, but continues to be a forum to help us grow!

Really awesome bar back home!

M

Shipwreck'd! drifts back to Porco Lounge & Tiki Bar for two dates in March.
7pm to Close. Free.
Relive the crushed velvet lounge scene of 60's and 70's.
Top prize for best vintage 60's-70's lounge attire.

Bump. Ahoy to all Great Lakes Tiki-philes. Shipwreck'd returns this Thursday, March 31st.

Last Thursday of the Month = Shipwreck'd ! AUG. 25th. 7pm-close. Free.
Turntables spinning Exotic Vinyl all night! Popcorn, Surf, Garage, Motel Lounge and early R&B...

Next Thurs (SEPT 29th).

I'm bringing my treasure-chest of rare exotica 45s and motel lounge sounds to Porco Lounge & Tiki Room.

Spinning 7pm to Close.

Your only decision should be what to wear; Polynesian or Polyester? Or both !?

Hey group! Screamin' Jay Hawkins says "Shipwreck'd will put a spell on you!"
I'm back spinning exotic 45s at Porco Lounge & Tiki Room next Thursday Oct. 27th.
Stay Sick! Turn Blue!

This Thursday, Dec. 22nd. 7pm to close. All vinyl nite!
Back spinning Xmas records and snowy slush sounds at Porco Lounge & Tiki Room.
Drinks with dry ice are naughty and nice!

Feel the love, Next Thurs. Feb. 23rd!
As The Poconos meets Porco Lounge & Tiki Bar for "The Porconos", a night of love songs, vinyl and passion potions.

Shipwreck'd says "Aloha" at Porco Lounge!
March 30th!

Hope to be there!

Shipwreck'd is basically "Tiki Central nite" at Porco's, with excellent sounds from real vintage vinyl... hope to see some more TCers there... the December Christmas party was the most fun we ever had at Porco's, such a great nite...

Another pretty good crowd for Shipwreck'd. And DJ Max played our song...

One of the latest nice tweaks at Porco's is the lighting. Light levels were originally on the high side compared to a lot of places, and lately they've been adjusted to 'Perfect Tiki Bar' levels.

Although with a phone (and several cocktails) that means your pics are going to run dark if you're not prepared...

Thanks to Mike and Marie for coming out and uploading some pics from the night!
Met many new exotica/tiki friends that night.

Back spinning vinyl at Porco's this Thursday (April 27th). Showcasing music from 1969 to 1974!

Next Thursday, I'm back spinning vinyl at Porco Lounge & Tiki Room 7pm to close.
Shipwreck'd is a nite of exotica, 60s mod, motel lounge, 50s R&B records and other wavy gravy sounds for all the tikiphiles.
Vintage attire encouraged and I'm always willing to play requests (provided you bring bring it on vinyl :wink:

Heaps of new vinyl spinning this Thursday at Porco Lounge & Tiki Room.
From the Kids in the Hall classic skit "Girl Drink Drunk

[ Edited by: Maxpayola 2017-06-26 06:46 ]

Two turntables and a Mai Tai. Back spinning vinyl this week at Porco Lounge in Cleveland.
Free event. Where it's at!

This Thursday 8/31 @Porco Lounge & Tiki Room, Shipwreck'd returns to paradise.
I'll be DJing vinyl-only exotica, lounge bands and summer sounds.
Come out and enjoy some patio weather in the North Coast while we still can!

Shipwreck'd Sept. 28! Fueled and stocked with new records to spin!

Spooky tunes and Monster Trash will be spinning at Porco's tomorrow!

Pages: 1 19 replies