Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New tiki bars in San Diego

Pages: 1 2 63 replies

On 2016-06-26 05:09, AceExplorer wrote:
Well said, Buzzy. So many good observations in your post. At least you had fun at the gig? Good food and drinks, too, hopefully.

I had a great time! It's always a fun series of adventures, or occasional misadventures, which constitute the whole gig experience.

The only bummer was beforehand I didn't know that you couldn't see the stage from the tiki bar. So, to celebrate the opening of the new tiki bar part, we pulled all the crowd out of it to the main disco floor before.
And, we're not really a "sit there and watch us like a concert" band. We set out as a quiet, background of a small house party band-not the center of attention main stage band. I use brushes when I play with this band, and I hadn't played any of our current set with sticks in about 6-8 weeks. during soundcheck in the big hall, we quickly noticed my dinky drum set and brushes were too quiet, so I had to switch to sticks. There were two songs I hadn't come up with parts for with sticks yet, so I had to make up my part for those songs on the spot. Total improv! But it's surf music, so as long as you double up on the snare as the drummer, you're OK!

Buzzy Out!

I used to live in Wyoming but am in San Diego now, so it's extra funny to see these Rapid City and South Dakota comments :)

Yeah, five years from now this thread won't be so "suddenly" any more. I say modify the thread title with "San Diego" and maybe take away the "Suddenly" too. Just make it a San Diego tiki bar thread to discuss all the openings (and future closings, lol...) in that metropolitan area.

A

On 2016-06-27 08:21, AceExplorer wrote:
Yeah, five years from now this thread won't be so "suddenly" any more. I say modify the thread title with "San Diego" and maybe take away the "Suddenly" too. Just make it a San Diego tiki bar thread to discuss all the openings (and future closings, lol...) in that metropolitan area.

Fine. Done

On 2016-06-27 08:21, AceExplorer wrote:
(and future closings, lol...)

Don't jinx us!

On 2016-06-27 14:13, Tiki Drifter wrote:
Don't jinx us!

Oh no, don't worry, I sacrificed some rum to the tiki gods and it went down quite well. And then I had this gal rub this guy's belly for additional good luck as insurance - he's located in California, about 2.5 hours north of you, so that oughta help.

FALSE IDOL IS OPEN! HERE ARE SOME PICTURES! Opened last Sunday.

I was lucky enough to go to the soft opening that didn't burn down the house :wink: on Saturday and the Sunday soft opening. Also went back a third time last night. I'm trying to go through all the drinks before anyone else. My favorite so far are the Swizzles, 151 and Chartreuce. Amazing looking bar! Go there cause these pictures do not do it justice. They take reservations on their website, but they are booking up fast!

W

Couple more from False Idol texted to me from my local Ohana....

[ Edited by: W8N2Surf 2016-09-16 19:25 ]

Grass Skirt in Pacific Beach opens today. I got to go on Saturday and here are some pictures:

You enter through a fridge from Good Time Poke restaurant. Hula dancer is dancing in a hologram in the hallway. Seems like a combination of tiki classic and modern. Lots of local artists have come together in the design.

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2016-11-07 15:35 ]

Mahalo for dem pix Treg-how’re are the drinks? Sure looks like a fun place.
Cheers

Some drinks are great and others are sweet. They use Plantation Pineapple in their menu Daiquiri and it is amazing of course. I tried 5 or 6 drinks. I enjoyed the Drone Pilot. They have an off menu 1944 Mai Tai as well! Their drink menu isn't too big, I think they have a dozen on the menu.

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2016-11-07 16:13 ]

"Drone Pilot"!! That's great!

Drone Pilot? Is it an updated test Pilot? Tell us more. Just gotta know.
Mahalo

Yes it is a spin on a Jet/Space pilot. I will keep you posted on more drinks when I try them. I don't go to PB much, there are no other bars worth going to in that area. :(

A

There are 20 cocktails on the menu

http://www.thegrassskirt.com/exotic-cocktails/

T

Oh my god! So much sproing! Now I have another reason to come back and revist all the old stomping grounds!

Pages: 1 2 63 replies