Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Shipping Container Bar?

Pages: 1 32 replies

S

after visiting Oak & Ivy in Las Vegas in their container park, i thought it would be an awesome idea to do a home tiki bar out of a couple 20' shipping containers - anyone else already done this or thought about it?

Not really Tiki is it? kind of goes against the whole aesthetic.

H

ATP your post here is exactly the type of post that pisses people off about you. You're shooting the subject down before it has a chance to even start. Someone with the right skills and eye could probably turn a shipping container into a fine Tiki bar. Think Cargo Cult. I bet Bamboo Ben could pull it off.

S

On 2016-02-05 16:40, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Not really Tiki is it? kind of goes against the whole aesthetic.

a ranch style house with a man cave inside it isn't exactly tiki either is it? what's the difference if the decor on the inside is tiki

H

Someone on Etsy is selling plans on how to convert a shipping container into this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/164464832/shipping-container-plans-3-bed-2-bath?ref=listing-shop-header-2

If stuff like that is possible with a shipping container, the outside can be made Tiki as well as the inside.

S

this is outside and inside of Oak & Ivy in Vegas - it's pretty intimate but shows that if a classic cocktail bar can be done in a container, then why not a small tiki lounge

H

Mr Smiley's home bar is a good example of turning a rectangular shed into a great Tiki space on the inside:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35613&forum=20

From this:

To this:

T

Kind of reminds me of Trader Vic's pop up bars that would be
in the jungle during the war.
He sent booze and stuff I think.

That Shipping Container Bar would be like the Ritz compared to that.
Totally cool patio deck on the roof.

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2016 6:04 PM

The cool thing with a shipping container is that it's completely innocuous, there's no hint as to the Tiki splendor that might be inside. I wouldn't do anything to the exterior, leave it as a shipping container. Are you a Doctor Who fan ?? How about an unassuming Police Box (that you could Tiki up) which just happened to be sitting against a shipping container ?? Upon entering ("It's bigger on the inside !!"), you'd be transported to the Planet of Tiki.

On 2016-02-05 16:47, Hakalugi wrote:
ATP your post here is exactly the type of post that pisses people off about you. You're shooting the subject down before it has a chance to even start. Someone with the right skills and eye could probably turn a shipping container into a fine Tiki bar. Think Cargo Cult. I bet Bamboo Ben could pull it off.

MAhalos Haka!

You know all those mug cabinets at the last Tiki Farm 15 year anniversary? ( here... http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=22936 )
Those were metal paint shelves from Ace Hardware before I got a hold of them.

Anything can be converted if you have the will :wink:

P.S. Stevekh-

Lemme know if you need a hand :wink:

Jesus, Karl, I wasn't shooting anything down
I was just asking if it really fit the aesthetic.

H

On 2016-02-05 18:33, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

You weren't asking.

H

ATP. Just try to understand and learn how to not be offensive. I know you can't always see it so I'm trying to help you out. Now let's get back to the subject.

There are a few images of shipping container bars on Google. Most use a 20 foot container.

A 40 foot container is a bit large for a backyard bar, but these cans from Tropical Shipping would be great.

S

i was thinking (2) 8' x 20' to make a 16' x 20' - a single 8' x 20' would be pretty cramped - the 20 footers can be picked up for between 1,400 and 1,800 apiece around here

On 2016-02-05 19:01, Hakalugi wrote:

You weren't asking.

I guess you missed the question mark, yes I was asking.

Maybe a few people here are interjecting what "they" want it to mean, instead of asking for clarification
which I would be more then happy to provide.
or is everyone here just that touchy.

H

On 2016-02-05 20:04, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

On 2016-02-05 19:01, Hakalugi wrote:

You weren't asking.

I guess you missed the question mark, yes I was asking.

Maybe a few people here are interjecting what "they" want it to mean, instead of asking for clarification
which I would be more then happy to provide.
or is everyone here just that touchy.

"kind of goes against the whole aesthetic." does not have a question mark.
Of course a shipping container can be made to fit the aesthetic! It's an empty box waiting to be transformed. You don't really need clarification. Now please either contribute or drop it.

On 2016-02-05 19:46, stevekh wrote:
i was thinking (2) 8' x 20' to make a 16' x 20' - a single 8' x 20' would be pretty cramped - the 20 footers can be picked up for between 1,400 and 1,800 apiece around here

To get back on track...you can buy high cube containers which would give you some added head room.

The Port Hole Bar in New Zealand looks cute. It replaced the Volcano Cafe and Lava Bar which were knocked down by their huge earthquake in 2011.

Stevekh,
A structure is a structure. You could add paint it brown, add bamboo, reeding and a fake a frame roof just as easy as you could on a wood building. It would even be easier to add real ship port holes for windows with the steel being strong enough to support them. If you used caulking and the rubber washer screws when screwing into the metal it would guard against leaks.
For the inside you could use the thinner silver insulation to keep the walls thinner and losing space. Your electricity lines could be set back in the groves of the corrugated metal.

If you don't want to decorate the entire outside, many of the old tiki establishments were in regular buildings, with only the doorway representing what was inside. (Think Stephen crane Kon Tiki). That could be an option too

Now just some insight from experience. I spent approx 15 years dealing with shipping props over seas in shipping containers. When you rent one to ship, they are not guaranteed to be air tight, that they won't leak, or that at some point they won't be carried below the water line of the ship.

I have seen mold in the wood floors. I have seen massive amounts of rust damage from the sea water air. I've opened them to find puddles of water. I've seen the roof and doors leak in the rain. I've seen broken welds in the roof lines from them being dropped in port.

Just keep all this in mind and really give it a good inspection if you buy one.

TT

What a great Idea, best of all if you move you can take it with you! I also feel the reuse of the container is in the classic spirit of beachcombing and fits right in with what we do.

I love oak and ivy
It's a great bar here in Vegas
Once inside it does not fell like you are in a container
Funny, when I took my brother there last time
I told him he should get one and make a bar in his back yard...
:)

S

It had a cool vibe - drinks were pretty good - I've been to velveteen rabbit the last couple trips and think that will be my main local bar from now on - cocktails were on point!

On 2016-02-06 19:24, hang10tiki wrote:
I love oak and ivy
It's a great bar here in Vegas
Once inside it does not fell like you are in a container
Funny, when I took my brother there last time
I told him he should get one and make a bar in his back yard...
:)

FM

There are tons of companies selling these containers on Craigslist. I've been looking at them for a while for a storage room in the backyard, but so far the logistics have kept me from doing so. Using one for a tiki bar is a great idea.

TM

I think it is a bitchin' idea. I can see tying this into some really isolated tropical island theme (like Midway or wake island) and doing an atomic testing era bar that looks like GIs could party there.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-02-07 08:47 ]

That was my first thought too Lucas, a temporary GI bar on a remote South Seas island. I'm curious why you are considering a cargo container? Price? Fast set-up is a plus. No permit needed? My brother had talked about using one as a cabin in remote Baja because they can be made very secure.

S

part one would be cost - i think you'd probably still have to permit it, as it would have electrical and a plumbing in it, but i really dig the look of the container with windows in it, and just think you could do a pretty cool setup using some of the steel as design elements

On 2016-02-11 19:34, MadDogMike wrote:
That was my first thought too Lucas, a temporary GI bar on a remote South Seas island. I'm curious why you are considering a cargo container? Price? Fast set-up is a plus. No permit needed? My brother had talked about using one as a cabin in remote Baja because they can be made very secure.

[ Edited by: stevekh 2016-02-12 10:06 ]

Make sure you start up a thread in "Home Tiki Bars" to show us progress when you start.

Great idea. Looking forward to seeing the results.

I'm looking forward to seeing it too. I think a cargo container is the ultimate in modern floatsam/jetsam. Decorate around the entrance with barnacles and netting and some faux rust to make it look like it washed up on some south pacific beach after floating at sea for a few years.

V

On 2016-02-05 16:33, stevekh wrote:
anyone else already done this or thought about it?

Check with your municipal building inspector.

I am a northern girl and was thinking of shipping container for winter storage of my roadster and motorcycle. In summer it would serve as "teahouse" (that was before I encountered tiki). My house is on a suburban lot, approximately 50' / 15.25m X 150' / 45.75m.

The inspector explained that I cannot just plunk a shipping container in my garden. For example, a garage must be miniature representation of the house. I live in two-story Dutch Colonial. Generic white garage with basic gable roof is permitted. A barn with gambrel roof is not. Same applies if I were to construct a potting shed.

Then there is — I do not know how to say it — stipulation concerning area. If you were to fly over my property, only certain percentage can be built upon. You get the picture. Curiously, paving the entire garden and installing Astroturf for a croquet court is okie dokie.

Structures have setback requirements; cannot be placed on the property line. Poured concrete footings are necessary. Permits for electrical and plumbing are required. Work must be performed by licensed contractor.

At this point my eyes glazed and I stopped listening. But the guy kept talking. He was kind of cute in a nerdy way. Blue eyes. And smelled of Guerlain Heritage. Mmmmm.

Stevekh, I certainly hope you do not live in such a restrictive community and my experience does not discourage you. Not for me living vicariously. Your project sounds like a lot of fun.

S

i'm not sure about it matching the house - the house i'm redoing is a small house built in 1927, but for some reason it's not on the historical roll here in town, so i don't have to meet restoration requirements from historical society - i figured i'd have to have electrical and plumbing done, but that's as far as i've gotten - i'll get more into the plans once i get the house done and moved into in the next couple months

TR

Tonight there is a new TV show on fyi channel called He Shed She Shed all about converting backyard sheds into bars and living spaces-

They flashed an advert that showed at least one tiki bar-it premiers tonight at 10 eastern

Cheers

Pages: 1 32 replies