Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 3-2-16 Pop & Exotica

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: March 2, 2016

On this week's show we once again perambulated the penumbra of pop and exotica music in all its waxing waftage.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Blue Tahitian Moon,” found on the 1960 lux LP: Ports of Paradise by the composers and orchestrators Ken Darby and Alfred Newman, sung by Mavis Rivers, who is the mother of Matt Catingub a/k/a the leader of Big Kahuna and the Copa Cat Pack.

2. “Aloha Means I Love You” waxed by King Nawahi’s Hawaiians and taken from the ample album: King Bennie Nawahi – Hawaiian String Virtuoso – Acoustic Steel Guitar Classics From the 1920s.

3. “Blue Hawaii” composed by Leo Robin and Ralph Rainger for the 1937 movie: Waikiki Wedding, sung by its star, Bing Crosby With Lani McIntire & His Hawaiians, drawn from the bulging box set: With My Little Ukulele in My Hand.

4. “Hawaiian Eyes,” written by Randy Borden and Jon Osorio and sung by the Hawaiian distaff trio Na Leo – who are Angela Morales, Nalani Choy and Lehua Kalima Heine – on their creative compact disc: I Miss You, My Hawaii.

5. “Cave of Uldo,” from an early production of the Waitiki titled: Charred Mammal Flesh: Exotic Music for BBQ, featuring the talents of Tim Mayer on Flute and Mr. Ho a/k/a Brian O’Neill and Abe Lagrimas Jr. on Percussion.

6. “Mountain High, Valley Low,” inked by none other than Raymond Scott and Bernie Hanighen for the1946 Broadway musical: Lute Song, starring Mary Martin and & featuring the then-unknown Yul Brynner and the future First Lady Nancy Reagan. This version was sung for us by Ethel Azama on her 1958 esoterical LP: Exotic Dreams.

7. “Bird of Paradise” by Les Baxter from his 1962 outre album: Primitive and the Passionate, found on the antic anthology: Sven A. Kirsten Presents: The Sound of Exotica.

8. “Typhoon Twist,” derived from the scintillacious CD: The Tiki Tones Play Songs for the Suburban Savage, with Koro on Drums, Ku on Electric Bass, Lono on Electric Guitar, and Lord Wahini on Organ.

9. “Happy Feet,” composed by Paulo Conte and performed by 8 1/2 Souvenirs on their compact disc of the same name, with Chrysta Bell and Oliver Giroud on Vocals, Glover Gil on Piano; Todd Wulfmeyer on Bass; and Adam Berlin on Drums & Percussion. Based in Austin, Texas, this group -- named after a Federico Fellini movie and Django Reinhardt song was active between 1993 and 2000.

10. The 1951 stylin’ single “Hold Me-Hold Me-Hold Me” came from the rambunctious retrospective: Songs by Kay Starr.

11. The 1958 song “Ahbe Casabe” was sung by Marti Barris, who was an actress who at one time played Peppy Mint on the early television classic kids’ program, The Howdy Doody Show. This was found on the cornucopious collection: Popcorn Exotica – R&B, Soul & Exotic Rockers From the ‘50s & ‘60s.

12. “Just in Time,” the classic by Jule Styne, Betty Comden and Adolph Green from the 1956 Broadway musical: Bells Are Ringing, was drawn with swizzle stick from the 1960 melodic melange: Mel Torme Swings Shubert Alley, including Art Pepper on Alto Sax.

13. “Payaso” by the Houston supergroup Clouseaux from their self-titled compact disc, featuring David Cummings on Piano, Kelly Doyle on Electric Guitar, Steve Ruth on Trumpet, Ryan Gabbart on Trombone, Jay Brooks on Bass and Claudio De Pujadas on Drums & Percussion.

14. “Ménage à Trois, Spooky Scat,” was waxed by Les Primitifs du Futur on their exemplary album: Tribal Mussette, with Fay Lovsky, Daniel Huck and Sanseverino on Scatting Vocals, Dominique Cravic on Acoustic Guitar and Viola, Jean-Daniel Jouannic on Bass and the afore-mentioned Fay Lovsky on Musical Saw.

15. “Somebody Told Me” composed by the rock band The Killers in a violative version by Richard Cheese on his swank CD: Apertif for Destruction, accompanied by Bobby Ricotta on Piano.

16. “Blue Lava,” by Eliot Easton’s Tiki Gods from their incomparable compact disc: Easton Island. Mr. Easton, who played lead guitar for the rock band The Cars, is joined by Debbie Shair on Vocal, and Wondermints members Nick “Nicky Wonder” Walusko on Vocal, Electric Guitar, Sitar & Percussion, art director/animator Chris Reccardi on Bass and Michael D’Amico on Drums & Percussion.

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2016-03-02 21:11 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies