Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Disturbing Rumor....could Minnie's be closing?

Pages: 1 11 replies

I just heard from a colleague that Minnie's is being sold to.........(good god it pains me to write this) WALGREENS.

Can anyone verify?

That would be a bummer. For Minnie's, the Stockton location is defunct, so you could ask over in the Modesto thread, and then close this thread.

Minnie's in Modesto: [url]http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4974[url]

K
Kanu posted on Mon, Mar 21, 2016 12:49 PM

I wonder how many Walgreens exist on the graves of old tiki haunts...

Kahiki was the first one that came to mind:
http://tinyurl.com/kahiki

On 2016-03-21 12:49, Kanu wrote:

precisely. when I heard this information this morning, I literally dropped all of the papers I was holding. I mean, it's one thing if Stuart if finally pulling up anchor and selling the business especially with the sad and untimely passing of his brother Peter a little over 2 years ago. peter was truly the face of the place. but the possibility that it is being sold to WALGREENS??? makes me shake my fists in the air after watching the demise of the kahiki. it is a complete wtf.

so please, if anyone can set me straight on this completely bizarre news/rumor, please do so. I sent a message into Minnie's already to see if I can contact stuart.

I am a bit skeptical since seeing that they painted the entire place within the past year or so, and upgraded the appearance overall (fresh carvings and such).

I sure hope that the rumor is wrong-Minnies is a Gem.

We passed by Minnie's a week ago and it was still open. The old original tikis had been disintegrating and were now replaced with new copies. Jungle Trader did you do them? Do you know what's happening? Wendy

PS we found this match book (on the right) in Oakdale, CA yesterday. We can't tell if it is older or newer than the one on the right.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-03-26 07:44 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-03-26 07:57 ]

I certainly hope that is a rumor. I can't get down there much but everytime Ive been have had wonderful food and cocktails. STAY TIKI!!!

J

TikiCleen, do you have contact info for Vic? I would think he's the likeliest person here to know what's going on.

Stuart has been trying to sell for years. Nothing has ever transpired, probably because he is asking too much. and yes Wendy, I carved the new tikis. At the time Cleen posted this I believe that CVS Pharmacy was interested and of course the locals were freaking out hoping it would fall thru. Then Steve, Diane's husband was in the running, and that fell also. Come on let's sing together, "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to, cry if I want to, cry if I want to, you would cry too if it happened tooooo youu!"

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2017-03-28 14:00 ]

Hi, gang. We took a trip to the valley to visit old work friends of Bill’s and on our way home, we just had to stop in at Minnie’s, one of my favorite places on earth. I love this old girl so much.

We were shocked to find that there are no cocktail menus now. No tropical drinks are available anymore except the Jerk and the basic MaiTai. It wasn’t very busy. The waitress was super sweet. The food at least was much the same—I still like it a lot, which is odd ‘ cause I normally don’t really enjoy Chinese food. I tried a MaiTai and it was still not at all purist BUT strong as hell. So that hasn’t changed either. Decor was the same. Faint air of lovable scrounginess, also the same. Still, the recent reviews are bad and you can tell things are in flux. I’m worried about Minnie’s future.

Article from the Bee, January of this year: http://www.modbee.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/biz-beat/article193397874.html

New owner is some enterprise called Splash Bar, Inc.?! The waitress confirmed. She knows the Mahs and in fact they were here eating tonight. She says that so far it’s just more corporate in terms of management, finances etc. The cooks are the same. There are new chairs and things are getting fixed up a bit.

Apologies if this has already been posted! I did a search and couldn’t find anything since March.

T

On 2016-03-21 12:49, Kanu wrote:

This is a business PLAN they like to take over very popular places, I guess the thinking is that there is already lots of foot traffic in and out of these very popular places making it a spot they want to be in as you are already used to going there.

They think Nut jobs like us will forget and go back after a while, But I never shop Walgreens.

Now Starbucks has a more evil idea in that they like to set their stores right next to a popular old coffee shop and take away the business that old place has built up for years.

The old coffee shop already just getting by goes out after losing some business and Starbucks takes over in that area.
At least now Starbucks will get pay backs as the homeless start to live in their stores and take showers in Starbucks bathrooms.

The new ruthless business plans of today are such BS cut throat, and tricks.
It is less about making the customer really happy and more about getting lots of fake likes on social media and getting the cash in the drawer.

It does not last for many many years like the old places we used to love and shop at.

C

It's official:

Pages: 1 11 replies