Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Your favorite tiki bar-and favorite drink at that bar?

Pages: 1 20 replies

So I am new to tiki cocktails, but have quickly fallen in love with tiki ambiance and tiki drinks. My wife and I live in the Phoenix area and have been enjoying a Disneyland annual pass-that has included trips to Trader Sams, and hence, my current love affair with tiki. So now I feel ready to broaden my palate and want to experience some of the more authentic tiki bars. We are close enough to Vegas, LA, and San Diego, that I thought I would ask people in the know: what bars do we want to go to, and what drinks do we want to make sure we sample? And again, hency, the subject of my thread: what is your favorite tiki bar and what is the best drink you've had at that bar?

Thank you in advance:)

On 2016-04-11 18:48, arcadiandj wrote:
So I am new to tiki cocktails, but have quickly fallen in love with tiki ambiance and tiki drinks. My wife and I live in the Phoenix area and have been enjoying a Disneyland annual pass-that has included trips to Trader Sams, and hence, my current love affair with tiki. So now I feel ready to broaden my palate and want to experience some of the more authentic tiki bars. We are close enough to Vegas, LA, and San Diego, that I thought I would ask people in the know: what bars do we want to go to, and what drinks do we want to make sure we sample? And again, hency, the subject of my thread: what is your favorite tiki bar and what is the best drink you've had at that bar?

Thank you in advance:)

Vegas: The Golden Tiki/Polynesian Haze
LA: Tiki Ti/Fog Cutter (please, put the pitchforks down)
San Diego: Bali Hai/Goof Punch

Every time I go to the Alibi in Portland I order the "Survey Sailor" - spiced rum. ginger beer.
muddled lime & orange.

J

Smuggler's Cove, San Francisco - Port Royal, Smuggler's Rum Barrel, Puka Punch, Pampanito (I couldn't choose just one)
Tiki Ti, Los Angeles - Ray's Mistake

K

On 2016-04-11 20:01, PalmtreePat wrote:

I love the Fog Cutter there - one of my favs! I can't say that Ray's Mistake is my favorite (I'll only order it on a Wednesday so as to otherwise try new stuff) but it's also good.

Trader Sam's: Murky Mojito or Navy Grog, but that's not including any off menu drinks.
Don the Beachcomber: Rum Barrel
Tiki Ti: Fog Cutter
Tonga Hut: Nui Nui

Follow me on Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/keithkocka

[ Edited by: kkocka 2016-04-12 11:04 ]

On 2016-04-12 11:02, kkocka wrote:

I love the Fog Cutter there - one of my favs! I can't say that Ray's Mistake is my favorite (I'll only order it on a Wednesday so as to otherwise try new stuff) but it's also good.

Trader Sam's: Murky Mojito or Navy Grog, but that's not including any off menu drinks.

Follow me on Instagram

The Ray's Mistake is a fine drink and one everyone should try, no denying that, but it's just a smidge on the sweet side for me. My heart will always belong to the Fog Cutter and the Hong Kong when I just want one drink, and the Jim's Special when I "just" want """"one"""" drink.

I've never visited any of the Tiki bars on the west coast unfortunately, but I can tell you my favorites from down south. You should be able to get these somewhere near you, as they are classics.

Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale - 151 Swizzle
Latitude 29, New Orleans - Pearl Diver's Punch
Tiki Tolteca, New Orleans - Petit Cafe (this one is an original there, but it's amazing ...)

On 2016-04-12 11:02, kkocka wrote:

Follow me on Instagram

kkocka, what off menu drinks do you recommend at Trader Sam's?

Tiki Ti is the BEST BAR IN THE WORLD, so I would recommend that you go there as soon as you can. My favorite drink there is the 151 Rum Swizzle.

I agree that the best drink at Bali Hai is the Goof Punch.

Trader Sam's has many off menu drinks, it just depends who is working. Kelly is the best bartender there, so if he is around, ask him what he can make off menu.

AF

Looks like a couple of you beat me to it. I agree with you, the Fogcutter at the Tiki Ti IS outstanding!

Would any of you mind saying a little about what you like about the bars/what to make sure to check out and what you like about the drinks? Thank you for your comments by the way!

AF

On 2016-04-13 18:41, arcadiandj wrote:
Would any of you mind saying a little about what you like about the bars/what to make sure to check out and what you like about the drinks? Thank you for your comments by the way!

Sure. I like a lot of things about the Tiki Ti. I definitely like the taste of the drinks. As owner Mike Buhen likes to say "You're drinking at ground zero", and that's because many of the drinks on the menu have roots that go back as far as the mid 1930's. Mike's father Ray Buhen, who opened the Tiki Ti in 1961, was one of the original Don the Beachcomber bartenders and served tropical cocktails for over 60 years. One of Ray's motto's was "Taste sensation is the key".

If you're able to make it, you'll have to try a Ray's Mistake and hear the story of how Ray invented their signature drink from Mike, Mike Jr., Mark or Greg. And you'll be surprised when you first hear the chants of "Toro, Toro, Toro" if someone orders a Blood & Sand.

What I like the most is the whole vibe at the Tiki Ti. Everyone is very easy going and willing to carry on a conversation, especially when you've got a Fogcutter in your hand!

Also with Tiki Ti, it is a small cozy place. I agree that it is a very chill spot with an amazing vibe, the bartenders are the nicest guys in LA. They have a hundred or so drinks on their menu, most of them are great! They do "fun stuff" when you order Ooga Boogas and Blood and Sands. I would live there if I could.

Only open Wednesday thru Saturday from 4-2.

I have no right to expound on favourite Tiki bars since my experience isn't broad. But outside of Disney-related ones, my favourite that I've been to is the Sip n' Dip in Great Falls, Montana. If you're ever doing a road trip of America's national parks, I would recommend staying overnight at the O'Haire Motor Inn, location of the Sip n' Dip, between Yellowstone and Glacier (yeah, you COULD do that drive in one day, but the Sip n' Dip is worth splitting it up and gives you time to check out some museums and tourist traps between them).

It appeals both to my love for fantasy and the idiosyncratic. The place's big claims to fame are Piano Pat playing the organ and the mermaid shows. Mermaids are the running theme of the Sip n' Dip, and its charming to see live ones swimming in the pool behind the bar. The idiosyncratic part comes in by having to look overtop cowboy hats to see them. It's a mermaid-themed dive bar in the middle of Monatana, for crying out loud! The staff at the O'Haire is great as well, and they leave complimentary rubber duckies in the rooms as a kind of business card.

The signature drink is the fishbowl, which we had and it was decent.

Does Tiki Ti serve any food?

Tiki Ti does not have food, besides snacks but there is a lot of food choices nearby.
Burgers = Jays Bar, Umami, Fat Burger
Mexican = El Chavo (until they close)
Close to Thai Town with lots of options
... just to name a few.

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2016-04-14 19:45 ]

J

Do you know about critiki? You can find tons of info about every tiki bar there is, including ratings by regular people and tiki people, and some detailed comments. Some of them mention specific drinks, but most of them talk specifically about what they like and don't like about each place.

https://critiki.com/

On 2016-04-18 09:10, JenTiki wrote:
Do you know about critiki? You can find tons of info about every tiki bar there is, including ratings by regular people and tiki people, and some detailed comments. Some of them mention specific drinks, but most of them talk specifically about what they like and don't like about each place.

https://critiki.com/

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is SO COOL!!!!!!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!! You have changed my tiki life!

On 2016-04-14 19:21, arcadiandj wrote:
Does Tiki Ti serve any food?

No but The Tamale Guy always seems to be in there for at least 2 or 3 hours after they open. I can't really remember what fillings he has on offer because I never seem to buy anything until AFTER I've had at least two drinks, but I do recall them being very good.

Hale Pele in Portland, OR is amazing. My go-to drinks there are the Jungle Bird, Cobra's Fang, and Krakatoa.
Honestly though, anything there is delicious

C

VEGAS
Frankie's- the Lapu Lapu is outstanding. I love passion fruit, and this drink is just lovely and smooth. Can't wait to drink one soon!
I haven't made it to the Golden Tiki yet (next Vegas trip is in June, though!).

NOLA
Latitude 29- Lemon Hart 151 Mai Tai. Quite simply, the best Mai Tai I've ever had.
I'll hit up Tiki Tolteca in May; my mom has been enjoying exploring tiki with me, and I can't wait to do the tiki rounds with her!

TEXAS
Lei Low (Houston)- sadly, I don't enjoy their Mai Tai at all, but have had great success with their bowl drinks. Jean Lafitte's Ghost is delicious!

Howie's Tiki (Spring)- just opened! Three Dots and a Dash was great, Mai Tai was done right, and we loved the complimentary Jungle Bird Howie gave us! Very balanced, definitely made with a reserved pour of Campari.

Pages: 1 20 replies