Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Sofa Cushions?

Pages: 1 22 replies

T

Aloha

I was wondering if any of you interior decorator-types know a good spot to get some hep sofa cushions.

The extremely cool tropical-sunset patterned cushions on my 1940's bamboo sofa are finally starting to fall apart...

I thought about just getting new covers, but at this point I think it best just to replace it all... any good ideas? Web searches for 'sofa cushions' turn up so much that it is worthless.... thought maybe some TCers would have some good insider info suitable for use in a Tiki room.

I'd get the cushions custom upholstered. You'll have total control over how you want it to look. I just had some bar stools recovered in a vintage tropical fabric... came out great!

:tiki:

C

Someone else has mentioned them on TC before, Melinamade sells fantastic retro patterned fabrics.
Melinamade.com

[ Edited by: Cultjam on 2003-08-13 17:54 ]

Totally, do custom. Have them make new inserts and covers. I like the inserts to be specified as a combination of foam and down. that gives a nice soft feel, but hold shape a long time. There is no such thing as pre-made cushions for a sofa as sofas are all different sizes and shapes.

Find a local upholstry shop, it should cost between $50-100 each.

Here's another good source. I bought some fabric from them for a window covering.
http://www.hawaiianfabric.com

L

Can't help but mention that Mrs. "melinamade" is a 100% drop dead knockout. Oops this has nothing to do with tiki.

A

Hey James,
I got this CHEAP rattan set (couch and chair), it came with these ugly pink cushions. I went to a few upholstery places and they told me for barkcloth and piping, base price, $100.00 a cushion. I needed eight cushions and I was told it would be more expensive to do what I wanted. I thought. "I'll make them myself".

before

After

The cushions are reversible, and the pattern matches. The old barkcloth rattan sets were like this, each cushions pattern matched all the cushions in the set. Your cushions are like this, I've seen them on your website, very cool. The upholsterers I spoke to, didn't quite get this. I was picky and wanted it made a certain way.

toward the end. they still cost me $50.00 a piece. They came out good. This was not my first upholstery job, so I had some practice before. Try it, you can do it.
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely 2007-07-01 16:12 ]

Shelley~
Did you use the old cushions or did you buy new forms?

A

I got a good laugh out of your question, Purple Jade! I didn't make those cushion covers, Al did! Yeah, he is quite the talented man... We did replace the old cushions with new foam pieces. There is an ulpolstery supplier nearby that will cut the pieces to fit when you buy the foam from them. If you ever have to cut foam on your own an electric carving knife will do the trick. -Shelley, Pearly Shell

WHOOPS!

Sorry Al! I know Shell's a seamstress, I didn't read carefully!

You're a wild upholsterin' beast, Al.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

Al, I am not the seamstress you are!

I found an upholstery shop who will sell me two huge sheets of high density foam for $35 each. They want another $50 to cut it, but I think I will do it myself. And if it's a little raggedy, well, it'll be covered by the covers anyway, right?

As for the fabric, a lovely, talented, and generous TC member offered to sew them for me, so I got in touch with my inner girlie and went fabric shopping.

I'm not SO girlie, by the way, to have falied to notice that "Melinamade" is indeed out of control beautiful.

But, at $40 per yard, she's too high maintenance for me - I found another pattern I like for only $10 per yard at

http://www.tropicislemusic.com/home_acc/barkcloth5.htm

Probably won't have 'em done in time for Exotica, but soon...

Mahalo

I got the foam core in some banana/hibiscus cushions in our bar. It sits great and I believe lasts longer. P.S. Al and Shely I haven't forgotten about you...I'm going to carve you a little something as thanks for the coffee can!

Al,
What kind of material did you use on the sides of your cushions? Seems like I remember seeing some vintage ones that had vinyl sides, but am not sure. We've got a 40's/50's rattan sofa and two chairs with original cushions in good shape, but the pattern sucks and we need to do a recovering job. Yours look fantastic.
KG

Al, we've had the carving seminar at your place. Maybe its time for a 'recovering' party?

Oh yeah, time to relive my upholstering days. At 16 the owner left me and his 17 year old son to run the shop for 10 days while they went on vacation. WTF were they thinking? I still don't know how we pulled it off?

E

On 2003-08-18 15:37, Kailuageoff wrote:
Al,
What kind of material did you use on the sides of your cushions?

And where did you place the zippers? (Or Velcro? Snaps? Or are the cushions sewn shut?)

It looks like you added black piping (or mabye it's cording if it's that big) around the edge--did you make that out of the "side" fabric or find readymade piping?

Nice job! The difference between before and after is incredible.

[ Edited by: Erika on 2003-08-19 11:50 ]

A

Erika, Kailuageoff and Tikibars,
The side fabric is black canvas. I had wanted to use barkcloth, but, I didn't find any . The canvas worked well, it's cheap, strong and looks right. I made the piping as well. It took 10 yards of black canvas to do 8 cushions with piping and zippers. The zippers are in the back and I used big, black plastic ones. James in a perfect world the cushions would start out in the perfect shape. If the foam comes out a little funy you can stuff the cusions with a variety of material for a smoother look.
Mahalo,
AL

On 2003-08-20 07:51, Alnshely wrote:
Erika, Kailuageoff and Tikibars,
The side fabric is black canvas. If the foam comes out a little funy you can stuff the cusions with a variety of material for a smoother look.
Mahalo,
AL

I have redone mine now about 3 times and swore the last time I wouldn't do it again. Couldn't figure out how to do the piping so I didn't - didn't go canvas - used the patterned matterial all the way around - it looks ok but not even as cool as it could had it been done right with piping and black canvas - I was also quoted professional prices of between $100 and $150 a cushion. I had to cut down the cushions and they didn't come out so perfect. If you guys do have a class in re-upholstering I might reconsider re-doing them one more time, but this last time I spent like $25/yard so it may be awhile before I decide to "retire" these. Of course, maybe I can keep the tops and just redo the sides and bottom with canvas?

Oh yeah and after all that, my husband proclaims that it doesn't look "tiki" but it looks "African" - oh well!

T

Check out this site for foam:

https://www.foambymail.com/

I got enough 4" thick 'hi-quality' foam, and 3" thick 'super soft' foam to do six cushions (three backs and three seats) for $75, and shipping was free.

S

Thought I'd revive this post as I've got some cushion questions.

Is there a consensus about preferences? Foam/batting vs. original springs? I've got some with original springs that may not have as much spring as they used to. Are there services (or DIY instructions) for rejuvenating them?

Any recommendations for good upholsterers in the L.A. area who get the "continuous pattern idea?

Good thread...I wish the old pictures were still working. I do like the piping contrast. I haven't done cushions before, but seems like they would be easy (but time consuming). Do you folks put zippers in your cushions? Eventually I am going to recover some cushions for my barstools (if I can ever find them buried in my garage somewhere).

Found a few links that might help.
http://www.alternative-windows.com/piped-cushion.htm
http://www.hutchal.clara.net/curtains/cushionpiped.htm
http://craftandfabriclinks.com/lounge/loungecover.html

HAPPY SEWING :D

Hey Alnshely, thanks for fixing the links to your pictures. You did an absolutely beautiful job on those cushions. That black is very striking and how brilliant to do two different fabrics on the face....gives you some variety.

Another thing I think looks nice (instead of piping) is a matching cotton fringe. :)

Pages: 1 22 replies