Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What artist is this? Does he know it was lifted and used?

Pages: 1 14 replies

T

I should know this, is it Tiki Tony?
Any way the cartoon of the guy holding a drink on this website is the image I am talking about.

So did you know they were using it?
http://www.swizzleluaulounge.com/

S

It looks like Derek Yaniger.

J

The man holding the tiki mug is definitely a Derek Yaniger image.

T

Yeah I knew it was somebody here.
We will see if he knows about it soon.

I do like his work.

Jen graduated from St. Mary’s College in Moraga with a B.A. in Art and Design

Jen should have an understanding of plagiary and fair use.

Jen Ann Tonic? :lol:

Here's a Dallas Eater write-up about the plans for the Swizzle Luau Lounge. After losing the Dallas Trader Vic's - twice! - we could sure use something tiki, here in North Texas.
I may go to the 'Mai Tai Monday', tonight or next week, and I'll certainly politely inquire about the Yaniger image. Stay tuned.

R

I live in Plano so I will definitely need to check this out.

Rick in Texas

J

On 2016-05-09 12:09, exquisitecorpse wrote:

Jen graduated from St. Mary’s College in Moraga with a B.A. in Art and Design

Jen should have an understanding of plagiary and fair use.

St. Mary's is not exactly Ivy League quality! I used to sing in a bar where most of the student body hung out, and trust me, the brain cells that stored such details died somewhere around two minutes after the final exam.

T

“My husband and I live and breathe tiki culture. We even have a tiki room in our house, complete with two bars and hanging birds off bamboo mat ceilings,” says Reyes.

You would think they know of TC after this statement.

RR

They changed the image.

T

I guess that answers that question.

I took in the 'Mai Tai Monday' last night, and had a great time. Before I left, I pulled Marty aside and asked if he or Jen designed their website. No, they have a web designer. I told him there was a question on Tiki Central about the use of a Derek Yaniger graphic, and described which one. I suggested he make sure his web guy has permission/licensing for the image, or that he redesign that part of the page. Marty said he was unaware, thanked me, and said he'd get with the web designer, tomorrow.
As mentioned, it's now gone.

On 2016-05-10 11:20, Limbo Lizard wrote:

Marty said he was unaware, thanked me, and said he'd get with the web designer, tomorrow.
As mentioned, it's now gone.

I dunno, I call bullshit. First off, if they paid a "web designer" to make that "website," I question their choices for the build out, decor, and other essential aspects of their proposed bar. It looks like something I could have whipped up in 5 minutes using HTML when I was in middle school. And being that the site is literally one page with a couple images and text, assuming these people are so into the scene as they say, how could they be unaware of Derek's art or the fact it was being used. You'd think with a degree in art and design, the wife could have provided some images for their designer to use rather than leaving it up to him to steal clip art and/or known artist's work and then not even question said designer where it came from.

That said, how were the drinks?

Initial criticism aside, I hope this place ends up being awesome cuz I'm in Dallas usually once a month and we all know how Austin still has NO tiki bars.

[ Edited by: mikehooker 2016-05-11 09:45 ]

On 2016-05-10 18:46, mikehooker wrote:
Initial criticism aside, I hope this place ends up being awesome cuz I'm in Dallas usually once a month and we all know how Austin still has NO tiki bars.

Does Mike need to move to a new city? :)

We have "minorly influenced by tiki" bars in my city. It's better than nothing. Drinks are good though. Each and every one works hard to be unique, and few serve straight-up spot-on classics. I think this may have often been the case in the old days as well, except today we have the added pressure from our "modernized" palates. I'm reminded of the old "flips" from the 1700's and how you don't see those in their original form today despite how radically cool that would be.

Pardon me while I go heat up my loggerhead in the fire...

Pages: 1 14 replies