Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Florida Room

Pages: 1 24 replies

Y
Yoshi posted on Mon, May 9, 2016 7:18 PM

Hi Tiki people

I'm really new to this, but I am a quick learner. I'd love for some suggestions from anyone and everyone about how to really make this space pop. I have some serious limitations and challenges, but also have some amazing opportunities to make an incredible space. First of all, this is a rental so permanently affixing anything to the walls is a no go. Second, this is a three season room (it's not insulated but it is totally enclosed so we can use it from April to October). Currently it's being called the Florida Room, named in honor of a friend of mine who passed away suddenly. She told me that people in her area called this sort of space a Florida room. Once she said that it gave me the idea to do it up like the tropics. After doing some google image searches for inspiration I came upon this site and was totally blown away by what you all have done with your spaces. Here's what I have so far. I'll add more photos later this week. It's a great space already and I'm excited to take things to the next level.

[ Edited by: Yoshi 2016-05-09 19:19 ]

[ Edited by: Yoshi 2016-05-09 19:21 ]

[ Edited by: Yoshi 2016-05-09 19:23 ]

Y
Yoshi posted on Tue, May 10, 2016 7:05 AM

Here are some more photos of the space. I've only just begun, as you can see. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

8T

Yoshi, welcome. A rental space is always a challenge. My number one suggestion for you would be to focus on lighting. Lots of subtle mood lighting will really help. It looks like you have a unique ceiling so maybe you can hang some things from there that will help visually. Good luck.

Y
Yoshi posted on Sat, May 14, 2016 4:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestion of the lighting. It's on my list. Here's an update from today. The bamboo mat is temporary until I can do it up properly.

And another

[ Edited by: Yoshi 2016-05-14 16:34 ]

As a Floridian, I can safely say this is one of the coolest Florida Rooms I've seen! Nice job, Yoshi. What a wonderful tribute to your friend.

Y
Yoshi posted on Thu, May 19, 2016 5:43 AM

Thanks Claire. We really miss her and every time I look at the Florida Room sign I made I think of Mariel Rodriguez. And yes, I'm aware that Florida and Polynesia are nowhere near each other...

Next on the list is starting to properly tikify it - Small figures, masks, mugs, lighting, etc. I'm in Toronto Canada and we don't have options locally to source much of what I would like to get. Does anyone have any recommendations on any Canadian online stores or ones that do international shipping? I strongly believe in referrals, so if anyone has had positive experiences with online tiki purchases I'd welcome your links. I'll be doing more work on the bar this weekend, so more photos to come soon.

Wow...you have a great space to work with. My suggestions is to add Tikis. They can be free-standing so won't cause issues in a rental. You have got plenty of room to do whatever you want, keep us posted with the photos.

Y
Yoshi posted on Sun, May 22, 2016 4:14 PM

Vampiress thanks for the suggestion for the tikis. I've started planning out where they will go, once I get them.

Here is an update from today. I covered the bar and the fridge.

TR

Florida Room is cool-i think the name is an archaic synonym for Tiki Bar

Just throw in some les baxter 8 tracks on that ol' reciver and dance the night away-
Or if its a VCR then blow out some Blue Hawaii in super dolby on that flat screen

Cheers and have Mai Tai on Tiki Roa's tab

Y
Yoshi posted on Fri, May 27, 2016 2:30 PM

Here's one from today looking out from behind the bar

Y
Yoshi posted on Fri, May 27, 2016 2:36 PM

And a couple more

Y
Yoshi posted on Sat, May 28, 2016 7:55 PM

Here's the dusk shot.

BB

Looks like it's coming together nicely. That roof just has so many opportunities for hanging lights and other decor!

BB

Oops, double-post.

[ Edited by: Bam Bam 2016-05-30 08:33 ]

Y
Yoshi posted on Mon, May 30, 2016 9:37 AM

Yes Bam Bam... I got up on the big ladder yesterday and hung some knick knacks and whatnot. I'm looking at netting now, and some glass floats. My main concern with the floats is that I'd have to order and have them shipped. I'm not so confident that the glass would stay in one piece via international shipping. Any thoughts?

That's a very cool space, lots of potential and you are on your way.

BB

If you're worried about shipping glass you could always try your hand at making them yourself. I'm about to start modding a round lighting globe for hanging as a float.

Y
Yoshi posted on Mon, May 30, 2016 6:45 PM

Hey Bam Bam. I actually laughed out loud at your suggestion until I clicked on the link. Great idea. I'm curious to see your final results. I thought you meant that you were going to make the glass, as in blow it yourself. That's next level commitment!

Y
Yoshi posted on Mon, May 30, 2016 6:55 PM

Here are some hangy-down spheres I added yesterday

Y
Yoshi posted on Sat, Jun 4, 2016 2:23 PM

I made this sign. It's Hawaiian for "north beach". Miami has the south, Toronto has the north!

BB

Clever!

Y
Yoshi posted on Sat, Jun 4, 2016 7:35 PM

Happening now, live from the Florida Room

Y
Yoshi posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2016 1:56 PM

Chillin Chewie

And looking out to the grilling zone

Y
Yoshi posted on Sat, Jun 18, 2016 3:21 PM

Y