Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Pho·net′i·cal·ly speaking: Examining the proper pronunciation of our favorite cocktail terms

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

Haha, Jen...

And Mike, you're right, we should have gotten some experts pronouncing these into a recorder. I think we were all having too much fun at The Hukilau to even vaguely remember that suggestion. So we'll have to take you up on that suggestion at another event.

On 2016-06-13 08:43, JenTiki wrote:
See folks! I wasn't making this sh*t up!

Why so defensive all the time? I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were making it up or that you don't know what you are talking about. I was simply stating that I heard that it was pronounced differently and I was trying to debate to get the correct answer.

Haha, sounds like Martin has heard it spoken many different ways by his, "so I'm sticking with it" quote. But yeah, I guess we are going to go with the the ORE-ZHA pronunciation since it is now in writing. The tiki world will now always use this and if we want anyone to know what we are talking about, we will have to say it this way. Glad we have an answer for this one. Still waiting for my copy of this book, tomorrow I think. Can't wait!

In this video Paul McGee adds the T at the end of ore-zsa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNv8hN1NA_I

This just goes to show how interesting it would have been to get all the experts at Hukilau on tape saying it the way they know to be correct because I bet they wouldn't all agree. Considering we now have two authorities - and partners at that - who say it differently, I wouldn't venture to say that Martin's way is definitively correct (or incorrect).

For whatever it's worth, that is the pronunciation I use, but only cuz it sounds better and more exotic to me and I've heard some authorities I trust use it that way. My uncertainty was the reason I began this thread in the first place, so I'm glad it's being discussed and evaluated. Now what are the ones we can all agree on with certainty?

25:37 in that video.

Very interesting Mike! I guess we should figure out how the Bum pronounces it?

J

On 2016-06-13 16:35, lunavideogames wrote:

On 2016-06-13 08:43, JenTiki wrote:
See folks! I wasn't making this sh*t up!

Why so defensive all the time? I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were making it up or that you don't know what you are talking about.

Ah, the perils of the written word ... I wasn't being defensive, simply having a tongue-in-cheek "told you so" moment. Perhaps I should use more winky smilies. :wink:
And to be fair, you did actually question my information.

On 2016-05-26 12:55, lunavideogames wrote:
Jen, where did you get your source for Martin's take? Are you sure there was no soft T?

Ok, cool. You come of as defensive sometimes, I was wondering if it was me just not understanding your tone in writing. I was only questioning to get to the facts, I didn't think that you were wrong.

There are sources that put a T on the end and that is the way I have always heard it pronounced, there might not be a 100% correct way of saying it.

S

On 2016-06-14 11:26, lunavideogames wrote:
Ok, cool. You come of as defensive sometimes, I was wondering if it was me just not understanding your tone in writing.

Only sometimes???

On 2016-06-14 18:16, swizzle wrote:

On 2016-06-14 11:26, lunavideogames wrote:
Ok, cool. You come of as defensive sometimes, I was wondering if it was me just not understanding your tone in writing.

Only sometimes???

Hey guys, Jen is cool, we met her at the Hukilau. She's very intelligent, loves and knows her rum, and can probably kick all our asses. hahahaha...

Go get 'em, Jen!

T
T

"You can have the whole goddamn fuckin' shit, man! You can kiss my ass in the county square cause I'm fuckin' buggin' out! I didn't come here for this! I don't fuckin' need it, I don't want it! I didn't get out of the goddamn Eighth grade for this kinda shit! All I wanted to do was fuckin' make a drink! I just wanted to learn to fuckin' make a drink, man!"

T

The above quote for the youngster's is from movie Apocalypse Now.
Thought it worked well in this spot at this time.

FUCKING TIGER! Never get out of the boat, Hi Tiger, Bye Tiger!
See it here....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbFvAaO9j8M

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-06-15 04:55 ]

J

On 2016-06-14 19:21, AceExplorer wrote:
Hey guys, Jen is cool, we met her at the Hukilau. She's very intelligent, loves and knows her rum, and can probably kick all our asses. hahahaha...

Go get 'em, Jen!

Thank you, Ace! Not sure I can kick anybody's ass, but fortunately I've never felt the need to resort to violence. :)

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right.

EJ

A friend sent me this discussion that took place on Reddit. The first question and answer made me think about this thread.

https://m.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4u394m/i_am_matteo_luxardo_my_family_and_i_have_been/?sort=top

Pages: 1 2 61 replies