Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 6-15-16 Richard Rodgers

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: June 15, 2016

On today’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we are going to celebrate the righteous and regal career of Richard Rodgers, who was born in Queens, New York, on June 28, 1902, and who is justly famed for his creative collaborations with the lyricists Lorenz Hart and Oscar Hammerstein II.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “That's for Me” was composed by Rodgers & Hammerstein for the 1945 movie: State Fair and was performed by Kay Kyser and His Orchestra, with vocals by Mike Douglas and The Campus Kids – Yes, that Mike Douglas from TV – found on the capable collection: Kay Kyser – Best of the Big Bands.

2. “Lover,” written by Rodgers & Hart, was recorded from a 1949 television broadcast by WPIX TV featuring Alto Sax master Charlie Parker and comes from the historical document: Rara Avis.

3. “Johnny One Note” was inked by Rodgers & Hart for the 1938 Broadway musical: Babes in Arms, and was taken from the 1958 nautical notion titled: Chris Craft by vocalist Chris Connor, with the album’s arranger Stan Free on Piano, Mundell Lowe on Guitar, George Duvivier on Bass and Ed Shaughnessy on Drums.

4. “There's a Small Hotel” was written by Rodgers & Hart and was used in the movies: On Your Toes from 1936 and Pal Joey in 1957, and was performed here by Bob Thompson, his orchestra and chorus on their 1959 loquacious LP: On the Rocks, including Don Fagerquist on the Trumpet solo.

5. Rodgers & Hart composed “Falling in Love With Love” for the 1938 Broadway musical: “The Boys From Syracuse” and this version comes from Tony Bennett’s 1965 grandiloquent album: If I Ruled the World – Songs for the Jet Set, arranged and conducted by Don Costa, with Ralph Sharon on Piano, Hal Gaylor on Bass and William "Billy" Exiner on Drums.

6. “You Took Advantage of Me” was written by Rodgers & Hart for the 1928 Broadway musical: Present Arms, and this version was by Warren Barker and the Warner Brothers Star Instrumentalists and was used in the TV series 77 Sunset Strip, which was broadcast from 1958 to 1964. This comes from the bulging box set: Jazz on Film…Crime Jazz!

7. “My Heart Stood Still,” was composed by Rodgers & Hart for the 1927 Broadway musical: A Connecticut Yankee, and was sung by Joy Bryan on her 1957 LP: Joy Bryan Sings, bolstered by the supple support of the Marty Paich Septet, including Mr. Paich on Piano and Arrangements, Jack Sheldon on Trumpet, Bob Enevoldsen on Trombone, Herb Geller on Clarinet & Alto Sax, Ronny Lang on Clarinet, Alto & Baritone Sax, Red Mitchell on Bass and Mel Lewis on Drums.

8. “Little Girl Blue” came from the Rodgers & Hart contributions to the score of the 1935 Broadway musical: Jumbo, and was recorded in 1964 by the Tenor Sax master Stan Getz on his able album: Nobody Else But Me, including a 21-year-old Gary Burton on Vibes, Gene Cherico on Bass and Joe Hunt on Drums.

9. “People Will Say We’re in Love” was written by Rodgers & Hammerstein for their 1943 landmark Broadway musical: Oklahoma! and was sung for us by Mavis Rivers in 1961 on her self-same LP titled: Mavis, with a big band arranged and conducted by Marty Paich, who also appears on Piano with Al Porcino and Jack Sheldon on Trumpet, Stu Williamson on Valve Trombone, Bud Shank on Alto Sax, Bill Perkins on Tenor Sax, Bill Hood on Baritone Sax, Vince DeRosa on French Horn, Red Callendar on Tuba, Joe Mondragon on Bass and Mel Lewis on Drums.

10. “Blue Moon” was inked by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart for the 1934 movie: Manhattan Melodrama, and was performed on piano by a woman normally known for her singing, Blossom Dearie, in France with Herman Garst on Bass and Bernard Pianchenault on Drums for her 1955 Terpsichorean Triumph: Blossom Dearie Plays for Dancing.

11. “I Didn't Know What Time It Was,” composed by Rodgers & Hart for the 1939 Broadway musical: Too Many Girls was assayed by the singer Buddy Greco on his 1962 labial LP: Body & Soul, arranged and conducted by Robert Mersey.

12. The Rodgers & Hart classic from the 1937 Broadway Musical: Babes in Arms, “The Lady Is a Tramp,” was performed by the Pianist Oscar Peterson on his scintillatious CD: Standards, with Barney Kessel on Guitar and Ray Brown on Bass.

13. “Where or When” is another creation of Rodgers & Hart for their 1937 musical: Babes in Arms and was sung for us by Tierney Sutton on her incomparable compact disc: Dancing in The Dark – Inspired by the Music of Frank Sinatra, with Christian Jacobs on Piano, Trey Henry on Bass and Ray Brinker on Drums.

14. “My Heart Stood Still,” the Rodgers & Hart standard from the 1927 musical: A Connecticut Yankee was recorded in 1966 by the outstanding arranger Manny Albam for his incendiary album: Brass on Fire, featuring an all-star conglomeration of master musicians.

15. The classic song by Rodgers & Hammerstein from the 1959 musical Sound of Music, “My Favorite Things,” was sung by Mark Murphy on his 1961 righteous recording titled: Rah, arranged and conducted by Ernie Wilkins. Clark Terry, Blue Mitchell, Joe Wilder, Bernie Glow or Ernie Royal on Trumpets; Jimmy Cleveland, Urbie Green or Melba Liston on Trombones; Wynton Kelly or Bill Evans on Piano; Barry Galbraith or Sam Herman on Electric Guitar; George Duvivier or Art Davis on Bass and Jimmy Cobb on Drums.

16. “It's Easy to Remember” was inked by Rodgers & Hart for the 1935 Bing Crosby and W.C. Fields movie: Mississippi, and was waxed in 1963 by John Coltrane on his second LP on the Impulse Records label, titled Ballads. On this cut he plays Soprano Sax, backed by: McCoy Tyner on Piano, Reggie Workman on Bass and Elvin Jones on Drums.

17. “Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered,” written by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart for the 1940 version of their musical: Pal Joey, found on the reliquarious retrospective: Yes, I Can! The Sammy Davis Jr. Story, Disc One, featuring the guitar artistry of Mundell Lowe.

Pages: 1 0 replies