Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Tiki Club – Akron, OH

Pages: 1 5 replies

Thought I’d post a few pics of my own modest tiki bar and outdoor space. We added two decks onto the back of the house about 12 years ago and a pool a year after that. I was determined to integrate everything under some type of coherent idea or theme; our house interior and exterior (in front) is actually pretty traditional – actually an Old English/Tudor Revival look – but that just wouldn’t do for the back yard.

I had gravitated toward tropical/tiki themes even before we went to Hawaii on a trip about 10 years ago, but that experience settled it – along with a copy of “The Book of Tiki.” Since then, we’ve slowly build/added/subtracted items to try and create our little backyard paradise for 4-5 months a year.

Aside from a few remaining white poly furniture items, like tables, chairs and chaise lounges, most everything here is a darker brown tiki look—I use a similar shade of stain/paint on most items (except for when Behr changed a stain color on me). It seems to hold up better and is easier for me to maintain than the tan/bamboo look – at least here in Ohio. My hope is to eventually replace all the white plastic stuff with darker-toned items that will match everything else.

The first item was the bar, of course. It’s 6’ long – a 2” x 4” frame covered in plywood and with a removable top made from a hollow-core lauan door, with decorative molding added. I painted some scenes on each side, and added some additional painted decoration, including some simple tiki corbels and a “Tiki Club” sign. Most of the booze, glassware and barware are kept underneath along with handy items like citronella candles and torch fuel, suntan lotion, bug spray, decorative items and extra sunglasses. The bar is very heavy, so it’s on wheels; it moves up against the house in winter and gets covered. The bar chairs are a discount store finds - that just got new cushions!

I usually throw a few decorative items on each end of the bar – small tikis, candles, barware and assorted nick-nacks – they get changed out depending on mood and need.

The shelf unit was a thrift store find – replacing a cheap plywood bookcase that finally fell apart after 7 years. It’s handy for the fan, tiki mugs and decorative items, extra candles and photos/artwork. The furniture style is supposed to be Mediterranean, but it seems to fit in perfectly here.

I made the narrow “surfboard” tabletop as an extra place to sit and enjoy drinks, looking out over the pool and yard. I bring it out and re-attach it to the deck railing every summer with a couple of C-clamps (which need to be painted dark brown to “disappear” – I just noticed).

Here is a look at a spot next to the deck; the pool pump and filter are hidden behind the brown screen. It’s surrounded by various tropical-looking plants and another tiki.

The large tiki at the end of the pool (Big Woody) is a real focal point. My wife and daughter saw a guy in the neighborhood carving him at a street sale and brought him home as a Father’s Day present about seven years ago. He’s not very traditional, but he has high sentimental value for us. I think his fern headdress makes him look kinda like a Rastafarian. Not tiki, but funny nonetheless.

The rest of the backyard has some assorted tiki torches and candles, whatever nice plants and trees we have found (and kept alive) plus plenty of places to sit, eat and relax.

Despite being on a fairly modest lot (90’ x 165’) everything is pretty well-screened by trees and foliage—there are no overlooking 2nd story neighbor windows over the space, either. It’s very private – making it easy to forget you are in Northeast Ohio. I’d say it’s quiet, too –but the sound system is usually pumping out all kinds of music that seems appropriate for the summertime. The wife and I joke that this spot has its own micro-climate, since it always seems to be a few degrees warmer than the rest of the yard; maybe it’s all the greenery and the thermal retention of the concrete. Then again, maybe it’s just our imagination!

Will try to add some night shots when I have a chance.

Still always looking for new ideas and inspiration, and fun ways to embellish and keep adding to the effect. That's why I do appreciate all the good things found on this board... Hang Loose!

[ Edited by: AkronTiki 2016-06-22 10:21 ]

Nice backyard space to kick back and relax in...especially for winter cold Akron! Use to go to KSU so know how cold it can get. I think the dark brown wood color works well, besides not all tiki is natural bamboo color. Great idea for the surfboard seating area for extra seating.

I have a plant suggestion for you. Have you thought about Musa Basjoo for a quick summer big tropical look? Here's a link to check out. http://www.brighterblooms.com/product/basjoo-banana.html. Since you have a wind protected yard it looks like, you'll have nice looking leaves too (we get too much wind and it shreds big leaves like this).

Grr..just noticed the link to that won't take you to it. Not sure why, guess you have to enter the search yourself. Search for "cold hardy banana" and you'll see all the growing details and photos.

[ Edited by: Polly_Nesia 2016-06-22 18:46 ]

[ Edited by: Polly_Nesia 2016-06-22 19:38 ]

BB

Loving the surfboard bar.

If you have the room to do a M. Basjoo stand of banana trees in your yard and are willing to mulch it in the fall, you probably could grow it in the ground and not bother with pots. I saw these Logee Plant videos on how to winterize them and how to prepare them for spring. The guy says they are Zone 5 New England so sounds doable for you if you're tempted.

Winterizing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frcx5Fc6JyE
Spring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcc_QdUXEUI

On 2016-06-22 20:21, Polly_Nesia wrote:
If you have the room to do a M. Basjoo stand of banana trees in your yard and are willing to mulch it in the fall, you probably could grow it in the ground and not bother with pots. I saw these Logee Plant videos on how to winterize them and how to prepare them for spring. The guy says they are Zone 5 New England so sounds doable for you if you're tempted.

Winterizing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frcx5Fc6JyE
Spring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcc_QdUXEUI

Polly Nesia - thanks for the link; that is definitely interesting - I was reading some of the owner reviews and it seems amazing how fast those things can grow. I would just have to find the right spot...

T

Hardy Hibiscus

Not the fussy tropical houseplants, but tough, hardy shrubs that light up gardens as far north as Zone 4 with flowers up to 12 inches across!

http://www.americanmeadows.com/hardy-hibiscus

Pages: 1 5 replies