Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Simple tiki style drinks

Pages: 1 16 replies

T
TU posted on Wed, Jun 29, 2016 7:17 PM

So...I kinda live in the sticks and have very limited drink mixing resources. I thought I could start a thread to share recipes for those of us that don't have places to buy anything other than basic ingredients and Bud Light. For example I can't get 151 proof rum. I can get coated in diesel exhaust at every stop light from jacked up pickup trucks.

Thanks!

I'll start with suggesting a Derby Daiquiri. Light, easy, refreshing. Not really macho, but give it a try.

You may consider mail ordering some spirits in the future, but for now, this will help you start.

J

Mail order is the way to go if your state allows it. Otherwise, as Ace suggests, daiquiris are a good way to go and there is plenty of room for creativity there. Also, if you have an iPhone or iPad, try the Total Tiki app. You can put in the ingredients you have and it will tell you which drinks you can make and give you the recipes.

I'm a fan of simple mixes anyways, and my neck of the woods isn't overabundant in liquers. One we do is two parts 7-Up or Sprite, one part pineapple juice, and a splash of macademia nut liquer and rum of your choice. It's a very nice summer drink. My wife likes two parts 7-Up or Sprite, one part orange juice, and a splash of peach schnapps. For pina coladas, we use a mix, with "I'm Bananas Over You" Original Bartenders Cocktail in place of rum, and a splash of Amarula.

And it pays to become good buddies with your local independent liquor store. You would be surprised at what kind of stuff he might be able to special order for you!

Plus, outside of the rum, many of the "exotic" ingredients can be made in your own kitchen.

T
TU posted on Thu, Jun 30, 2016 2:33 PM

Thanks for the ideas everyone!! I'm going to make rum run this weekend and will post what I come up with.

My vote is for the "La Trinidad" from Kevin Upthegrove at Five Minutes of Rum:

http://5minutesofrum.com/episodes/2013/11/22/episode-16-zaya-rum

You can use Captain Morgan's spiced rum and if you can find a decent cinnamon syrup (I have used both BG Reynolds (easy to order online-non-alcholic) and a homemade version (VERY easy to make-don't be afraid) and fresh limes, you will be hooked: THANK YOU KEVIN!

Here are some more Tu

EJ

The Total Tiki app is great. You can also try this.

http://www.grogalizer.com/index.php

On 2016-06-30 20:23, arcadiandj wrote:

You can use Captain Morgan's spiced rum and if you can find a decent cinnamon syrup (I have used both BG Reynolds (easy to order online-non-alcholic) and a homemade version (VERY easy to make-don't be afraid) and fresh limes, you will be hooked: THANK YOU KEVIN!

Thanks for this!

I'm on my second one of the night :)

Had some cheap spiced rum I've been trying to burn through............

T
TU posted on Fri, Jul 1, 2016 6:52 PM

I'll be trying the Trinidad as soon as I make some cinnamon syrup! Tonight's winner is a dark and stormy with one off my son's ginger beers and some lime wedges and sailor jerry. I don't usually have bitters around.

On 2016-07-01 18:34, Tiki Drifter wrote:

On 2016-06-30 20:23, arcadiandj wrote:

Thanks for this!

I'm on my second one of the night :)

Had some cheap spiced rum I've been trying to burn through............

Thanks folks! Glad you are enjoying it.

Though I don't know that I can personally endorse usage of the Captain. :wink:

Okole Maluna!

kevin

T
TU posted on Mon, Jul 4, 2016 12:27 PM

Another good 3 ingredient concoction is Baron Samedi with cola and pineapple. I like fresh pineapple chunks but wedges or juice would work too.

Hello!

This is my first post, although I've been lurking here for about a year and a half. Thanks to everyone for all your amazing tips and inspiration.

For a simple drink, have you ever tried a knickerbocker? It's not pure tiki, but I've seen it mentioned as a tiki ancestor (seems right to me) and it is delicious and easy.

3/4 oz. lime juice
2 oz. rum (basically any rum works, I like appleton extra 12 year)
1 1/2 oz. chambord
1/2 oz. curacao

Shake with crushed ice and pour unstrained into glass. Easy, refreshing and strong. One of my favorites.

R D, The Knickerbocker sounds good. I luv tiki drinks and I luv vintage drinks so this has gotta be a winner. What kind of glass is appropriate? Garnish? Can you send one over?
Mahalo for the recipe.

Nui, I like to serve it in a double old fashioned glass because it fits well and shows the pretty pink color from the chambord. Basically whatever you drink your mai tai from should work perfectly.

As far as garnish, a lime wheel always works and maybe a few fresh raspberries if you happen to have them around. You can also skewer raspberries and a lime wedge for it.

I forgot to mention that I usually sink the spent lime shell in the drink, a la mai tai.

The Castaway by Beachbum Berry has just three ingredients: Kahlua, pineapple juice, and Jamaican rum

Pages: 1 16 replies