Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The great Coruba hunt

Pages: 1 14 replies

Hello, I'm a huge fan and can't find it anywhere. I'm located in Indiana and have tried every good liquor store in Indianapolis and the best selection in Cincinnati and no one has it. What's more concerning though is that a few carried it in the past and said that their distributor is no longer carrying it. I'm curious to find out if this is purely a regional issue or if others have noticed it's disappearance too. And sadly Indiana is a state that doesn't allow online purchasing of alcohol for some insane reason...

Also, if anyone can suggest any good replacements I'm all ears. Meyers is okay, but not nearly as good, and on recommendation from a liquor store clerk and the laying in Smugglers Cove, I tried Blackwell gold black Jamaican, good, but no . HELP!

K

If they'll ship to you, buy it online at https://www.hitimewine.net. I'm an hour and a half north of them in CA and I still have them ship to me.

Sadly, it's illegal in Indiana...

What if you have friends over the state line who can order it? Just hypothetically, of course...

What Ace said. I'm in Columbus & have never been able to get Coruba. Luckily I can order it, though sometimes I take a trip down to party city or whatever it's called in Newport ky.
Fwiw, when I'm out of Coruba I sub Appleton 12 or el dorado. Not perfect subs, but they are always tasty rums & will never spoil your drink!

I might have to find someone to ship to. Party Source in Newport is one of the places I went actually. They were one who did carry it, but discontinued selling it. Apparently they sold the remaining bottles for $6! They recommended Blackwell.

J

Here are the rums that can be subbed from the same category for Coruba, per the Smuggler's Cove book:
Gosling's Black Seal
Hamilton Guyana 86
Kohala Bay
Lemon Hart 80
Pampero Anniversario
Newfoundland Screech
Blackwell's Black Gold
Skipper Finest Old Demerara

All these range from "strongly endorse" to "happily tolerate" by Martin Cate, which means none of them are crap.

Speaking from my own experience, I would think the closest to the Coruba experience would be Hamilton, Lemon Hart, or Skipper.

Wow they no longer even carry it? Good to know. Hope there's not going to be some kind of Coruba shortage, although I seem to remember availability waning on Coruba a couple years ago, then it came back.

Hamilton is definitely a good sub; I think that's the only one from Jens list I've seen in our neck of the woods aside from Goslings. Not a fan of goslings meself, but that's just me.

K
kkocka posted on Wed, Jul 6, 2016 2:58 PM

I love the rum substitutions that aren't dark Jamaican rums - that dark molassesy taste is what makes Coruba so distinct!

FredsTugboat,

The Kentucky distributor has Coruba back in stock. My store, Liquor City Uncorked in Covington has it on our shelves again.

Cheers!

That's great news! I live in Indy, but my family lives near the Cincy area. I might be down that way this weekend, in which case I'll definitely come down and pick some up! Thanks so much for letting me know!

FYI - I have a couple of old bottles left if anyone is interested. Just PM me for more details.

[ Edited by: RumScrummager 2016-09-25 10:38 ]

L

On 2016-07-05 11:30, kkocka wrote:
If they'll ship to you, buy it online at https://www.hitimewine.net.

That easy huh? ORDERED!

[ Edited by: lll888 2016-11-18 06:46 ]

DC

Not easy, depending on how far you live from Maryland, but for anyone near or passing through, Montgomery County in Maryland not only carries Coruba in our county liquor stores, but has it at an incredible price. 750s are only $11.35 and the 1 liter bottles are only $15.49. Unfortunately for those who live far away, our county liquor stores do not ship.

You could order a case from Binny's in the Chicago area and come pick up?

Pages: 1 14 replies