Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Pine Kona (Twain Harte)

Pages: 1 32 replies

O

Starting with a little paint...

O

More painting and carpet removal.

O

Application of a 2 part Epoxy on the concrete floor - then toss (broadcast) 100 lbs of sand while it is wet...

O

Here is the sand floor with a clear coat. I'm letting it cure for a week before the next step.

O

Also made a lamp out of a Bacardi promo ice bucket and parts from a Moe Light...

[ Edited by: offarock 2016-07-13 13:11 ]

O

...and sorted out glass float net replacement...

Best of all, I picked up a Witco outrigger wall hanging for 20 dollars at a garage sale. The Canvas was very dirty and faded and the backing was bowed/warped from constant exposure to humidity (it was on the wall of an indoor pool area). Will post a photo of that once it is restored. I feel I have about 3/4 of the things I need to at least open Pine Kona. I will want to add clutter a little at a time over the rest of my life. It will never be finished.

Promise to never add a TV or a sign that say's "Tiki Bar".

Once you start you never look back. Good luck with your build!

You should hook up with Longboard...he has a place in Twain Harte.

Love the color and looking forward to your continued work.

Thanks VampiressRN. I've been shadowing Longboard on this forum for a long while. My house painter thought he knew where Longboard lives, but i have only a general idea of the road. Once Pine Kona gets done enough to soft open I may try and invite the local Tiki crowd. There is a bartender at Ed's who is also working on a Tiki bar.

I thought I was going to be the only one in this small Mountain town... was I ever wrong.

Looks like it is about a 2 hour drive from Sacramento to Twain Harte. Maybe you both will be crawl host ready in 2017. We could do the Friday to your part of the world. Hope you make it to our crawl this year. Seeing other people's places is very motivating and everyone helps each other out on instructions for various projects. I have had a lot of help from the Sacramento Ohana...great group of people and some amazing home bars. CHEERS

O

A little progress: I am trying to work with what I have, so I took these stools that came with the cabin...

...and did the torch brush thing...

To get it looking a little more fitting...

O

Also built the bar structure...

H

Nice.

Nice work on the bar stools. I assume that's the "After" of the Outrigger. Do you have a before picture? I recently found the same one (with orange backing) for $160 and thought I got it for a steal. Amazing that things like that could still be found in the wild for $20! Looking forward to seeing the progress of your space.

O

That is the "after" on the Witco. Sadly I did not take a before pic.
Mine was also an orange fabric when I found it. I was surprised that it was white cloth painted orange originally. I went with a new green cloth with a bit of a burlap feel. The backing was a kind of cardboard, now a sturdy plywood. Frame is original.

Looks amazing .....great job on the stools

O

A bit more progress. With a week off coming up I should be able to get the bulk of the "can't live without" bits done. Then I can begin using the space while adding on slowly over time.

I'm really liking the way the wet sand floor reflects lights!

Made up a couple of "torches" with a pretty bad-ass LED bulb and a dollar store cup. I think the end result looks a lot more like a real flame than other set-ups.

https://youtu.be/5kC-jq532ik

On 2016-08-25 10:06, offarock wrote:
Made up a couple of "torches" with a pretty bad-ass LED bulb and a dollar store cup. I think the end result looks a lot more like a real flame than other set-ups.

https://youtu.be/5kC-jq532ik

Love it! Which bulbs did you use?

O

I used the smaller one from http://www.flamebulb.com . They are not cheap, but the effect is top notch. I already fooled some people in to believing it was a real torch. Helps to paint some soot at the top of the "glass".

There's too much flammable stuff in this room for me to want a naked flame.

[ Edited by: offarock 2016-08-25 14:24 ]

W

Great stuff so far. Did you say where you got the fabric for the stool covers from?

W

On 2016-08-25 14:22, offarock wrote:

I used the smaller one from http://www.flamebulb.com . They are not cheap, but the effect is top notch. I already fooled some people in to believing it was a real torch. Helps to paint some soot at the top of the "glass".

Good to know about these, but yes, they are expensive

On 2016-08-25 14:22, offarock wrote:

I absolutely LOVE the look of those flame bulbs in your homemade torch lamps!

Checking out Flame Bulb's web site, I see there are two sizes of bulbs available: large and small. Against my better judgement, much to the dismay of my bank account, I'm thinking of using one of these bulbs in an upcoming decorating project of mine - as you said, the effect is top notch! Which size did YOU use (large or small) in your torch lamps?

The stools and Witco turned out great.

O

On 2016-09-02 10:35, W8N2Surf wrote:
Great stuff so far. Did you say where you got the fabric for the stool covers from?

My wife found the fabric online, but cannot remember where. She'll continue to look.

O

Which size did YOU use (large or small) in your torch lamps?

The smaller ones.

O

Got some more done. Still a ways to go but I did hold a "soft" opening...

O

A bar has a name...

O

More recent photos...

Coming along.

R

Looks awesome...and a stripper pole too! Love it!

On 2017-05-29 20:53, rumackay wrote:
Looks awesome...and a stripper pole too! Love it!

That's structural, I tell people.

The structural element is good...snicker snicker. Maybe a Tiki could work the pole for you. Nice job, it is looking good.

PP

wow! so cool!! did i see a stripper pole??? loven the floor and your wall cover too!! fun fun fun!!

Pages: 1 32 replies