Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

TV Tokyo Hakata Sling Recipe

Pages: 1 7 replies

W

Does anyone know the proper recipe for the Hakata Sling, originally the signature drink of Trader Vic's Fukuoka, now served at Trader Vic's Tokyo?

I know the ingredients, but am having trouble with proportions-

Sochu
lime juice
Cointreau
cherry Heering
grenadine
pineapple juice

I have no idea what the recipe is, but have you tried starting out with the official raffles singapore sling proportions?

1 oz. gin
1/2 oz. cherry heering
4 oz. pineapple juice
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/4 oz. cointreau
1/4 oz. benedictine
1/3 oz. grenadine
dash angostura bitters

I would replace the gin with the sochu, leave out the benedictine and maybe the bitters.

Again, no idea what the recipe is, but this is where I would start. Good luck!!

W

Thanks for the idea- I have that recipe framed on my wall (along with a Long Bar watercolor postcard) but hadn't considered aping the proportions as a starting point.

If you're ever at that Trader Vic's I recommend ordering one. It'll surprise the hell out of your waiter or bartender! It's not on the menu and is generally only ordered by old patrons of the defunct Fukuoka TV. (Hakata is one of the former cities that comprises Fukuoka)They only make it because when Fuk shut down the unique Hakata doll (made of the same plaster as the Potted Parrots) toppers where sent to Tokyo. I noticed the jar of toppers stashed behind the bar so the general manager (who's name I always forget, Moroccan gentleman, very nice guy) told me the story I just relayed. Always order at least one now when I visit, its a most pleasant drink.

W

Thanks for the suggestion, it worked out pretty well.

So I've never made a real Singapore sling, despite a buddy hounding me for the longest time. My web searches show that there are MANY variations. Check out this one at the URL below from French Tart, as she quotes a couple "original" sources and may be worth trying. I have all the ingredients, and I think I will be trying this over the weekend.

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-raffles-hotel-original-singapore-gin-sling-cocktail-283673

It is VERY close to Rummy Dearest's recipe, and I think only differs in that the gin is 1.5 oz instead of 1 oz.

Cheers!

Oops, I intended to post French Tart's recipe here for comparison. Here it is, just in case that URL goes away sometime in the next few years:

1.5 ounces gin
.5 ounce cherry heering
.25 ounce Cointreau liqueur
.25 ounce benedictine
4 ounces pineapple juice
.5 ounce lime juice
.33 ounce grenadine
1 dash bitters (Angostura)
Shake with ice.
Strain into an ice filled collins glass.
Garnish with cherry and slice of pineapple.

On 2016-09-08 04:53, Wayfarer wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, it worked out pretty well.

Yay I'm so glad!!

I like Ace's suggestion, 1.5 oz. sounds a little more like a TV proportion of liquor, haha. I've also seen the sling recipe with just two oz. of pineapple juice, so those might be the next two tweaks I would try.

Thanks for relating the history of the drink, I really enjoyed reading it. It sounds like you may have saved an exciting drink from an undignified tiki grave!

Please keep us updated on your tweaks! I always think this board is at its best with a mystery on our hands, and we can preserve a good recipe for posterity. You are probably one of just a handful of people who have had one, so it may be lost without you!

W

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll experiment and see what comes out drinkable!

Attached is a picture of the Hakata Doll toppers. You get one or the other with each drink. I was told they're only making this drink as long as they have these things in stock. That was in 2014 and they are still making the drink, which says they either have a big stock or just that few people know of the drink. The light scuffing came from the return trip in my backpack.

Pages: 1 7 replies