Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Rare Vintage Tiki MAI-KAI Relic Mid-Century Modern Polynesian Pop Room Divider

Pages: 1 2 85 replies

H

^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^

**[RARE VINTAGE TIKI MAI-KAI RELIC

Mid-Century Modern Polynesian Pop

Room Divider for Auction on eBay ! !](http://haughtee.com/maikai)**

Auction Start : : Sep 11, 2016 17:00:03 PDT

Auction End : : Sep 18, 2016 17:00:03 PDT

eBay item number : 322257827490

• Color: Jade Green
  • Mai-Kai Interior Designer : George Nakashima
  • Type : Room Divider
  • Tiki Collectibles : Polynesian Pop
  • Style : Mid-Century Modern
  • Tiki Totems : Cass Carving, Los Angeles
  • Region of Origin : Mai-Kai Ft. Lauderdale
  • Jade Ceramic Tiles : Oceanic Arts
  • Tiki Post Height : 6 1/2 feet
  • Original/Reproduction : Original
  • Tiki Panel Width : 10 feet
  • Materials : Redwood Tiki Totems, Rattan, Jade Ceramic Tiles
  • Jade Ceramic Tile : 1 ft x 1ft square

CLICK HERE TO ENJOY THE VIDEO ! !

^V^V^V^V^V^V^

SEE MORE PICS!

^V^V^V^V^V^V^

This genuine vintage tiki artifact was designed for the Mai-Kai by the renown George Nakashima.
This room divider features hand-carved Tiki Totems carved by Cass Carving, in Los Angeles.

1ft Ceramic Jade Tiles from Oceanic Arts are suspended on a rattan pole lattice and held fast by rattan peel winding cane.
The piece is 6 1/2 ft high and 10ft wide.

They are in incredible condition.
They have been stored safely in a temperature controlled warehouse since they left Mai-Kai.

Don't miss this ONCE in a Lifetime Chance . . . to own a prized part of the Mecca of Polynesian Pop!

Give this magical piece a home in your private tropical tiki sanctuary.
This magnificent museum quality Mid-Century Modern Tiki Room Divider : is the* only available piece of the Mai-Kai for sale in the world right now.*

What true Tiki Collector could say no - to bidding on an artifact which came from a Nationally Registered Historic Site of Polynesian Pleasure ?!

PARADERS OF THE TOSSED BUHWREATHRAH

I uncovered this Mai-Kai relic in the Southeast corner of an enormous warehouse in South Florida. The proprietor of the space had impeccable taste and a penchant for the bizarre. He informed me that this particular monstrous warehouse was the smaller of his storage units . . . he had another twice it’s size!

The tiki was hidden under a dusty canvas dropcloth, dying to be discovered. As my flashlight moved slowly from the left to the right - the beam of light washed over indistinct forms - I felt like Indiana Jones! I was imagining the possible horrors which may lurk under the next tarp, there was sure to be a human head in a jar, or a cursed mummy, I thought to myself. My eyes scanned the corner : a Heywood Wakefield, an Eames, an Indian motorbike . . . And that’s when I saw it.

I was hit with the dreadful realization that I very likely unable to afford to purchase anything from this veteran collector's upscale treasure trove - but it was worth a shot. I feigned a casual interest in the direction of the Eames lounge chair / ottoman combo, “How much for the La-Z-Boy ?”. His only response was an unconcerned laugh which confirmed my fears : this guy knew his stuff. Against all odds, I still had to find a way to make this tiki relic come home with me.

I instantly recognized that the room divider came from The Mai-Kai, and the collector verified that it was indeed from the historic Polynesian Pop paradise in Fort, Lauderdale. The moment I discovered this precious abandoned artwork will forever be enveloped in the mystery and magic of The Mai-Kai, you see, the morning when I located this lucky find was a year to the day , from when I last lounged at the MaiKai. I was certain of the timing because it was my wife’s birthday. ( Off topic but : my wife is so cool that she goes digging in a creepy warehouse with me on the morning of her birthday. And she doesn’t just begrudgingly go along with it - she’s totally excited about it! I truly am the luckiest man alive! )

Noticing that one of the sections of tiki carvings was missing, I tried to downplay the quality of the precious artifact by pointing out that it was incomplete. “Too bad that guy left the party”, I said pointing to the gap in the tiki totem, “Do you think you might have it laying around somewhere?” He didn't have a clue. I thought I would be mocking him when I made my initial offer - but a portal to tiki heaven opened up - and to my surprise we arrived at an agreeable number! He sold it to me with the caveat that I had better find a good home for it, with someone who recognized it’s true worth. We literally maxed out our last credit card to complete the sale.

I ecstatically began moving aside some crates and heavy signs in order to create a path by which to remove the tiki relic from the warehouse. In doing so, I shifted a pile of wood with old block and tackles hanging from it. I was struck on the shoulder by some jagged beams and thought to myself that I would probably need a tetanus shot. Before I could formulate frustration however : I saw the face of the missing tiki totem amongst the flotsam! The section was once again complete. It was beyond Far Out ! . . . More than meant to be!

**[ONE-OF-A-KIND OFFER

OWN THE MYSTERY

BID TO WIN !**](http://haughtee.com/maikai)

haughtee.com
hello.haughtee @eBay
facebook.com/haughtee
jasondaquino.com
ohsobeit.com

[ Edited by: haughtee 2016-09-11 08:21 ]

[ Edited by: haughtee 2016-09-11 19:25 ]

Ok, first of all, this is not the only piece of the Mai-Kai that is for sale out there. Incorrect.

Just FYI everyone - I offered to purchase these panels for $6K, a price given to me and when I called this "haughtee" he said no.

2nd: this was originally was sold by a MCM Dealer out of Miami - that I have already verified since I was told a price on this, tried to purchase from you and then said you had no idea what you were talking about. I think the quote was "I have to pay my rent" - I can see how desperate you were...

So you never have posted on TC and now you show up selling these after contacting several people in the Tiki community about the worth of these pieces. Several people have offered you money and you haven't even gotten back to them - not cool.

You talk of this story, well here on Tiki central, we love stories, we seek them out and we love every detail. Your details came from people in the community. You didn't know the carver, you didn't know about these tiles - everyone you contacted has given you the information. You could at least thank them.

These panels belonged to a couple that deal in MCM design in Miami - as we all care about stories, why don't you tell us the real story on how you acquired these panels. You paid $450 for these - you got a great deal. They also came out of a hotel, NOT THE MAI-KAI, as you are falsely claiming. See, the Mai-Kai isn't the only place to use these poles and tiles - MANY historic Tiki establishments used them.

These are my friends here, a group of people that I dearly care about. If you want to sell something to us then sell it but don't make up ridiculous stories. You knew these people, they gave you a good deal, you sold a few of the smaller pieces to Harold Golen then I contacted you, you said no, then you began contacting people in the Tiki community, still not happy with the price now you're passing off your made up story and are still trying to get the highest price.

AND, ANOTHER BLOW - YOU TAKE THE NAME OF A SYMPOSIUM AT THE HUKILAU THIS YEAR TO ADD TO YOUR DESCRIPTION????? Really dude, can you sell something on your own?

AND MIGHT I ADD, YOU'VE NEVER BOTHERED AUTHENTICATING THEM FROM THE MAI-KAI. I've contacted the family myself and I'm asking them if there was ever a section this large taken out of the Mai-Kai. I don't see that there ever was an area in the restaurant where this could have been removed.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,
Tiki Kiliki

The Hukilau

The Most Authentic Tiki Event in the World and the Official Event Honoring the Mai-Kai est. 1956

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2016-09-11 13:21 ]

T

Are the poles on these Rattan or bamboo?
Rattan is solid not hollow like bamboo is.

These look like they might be rattan, solid poles.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-09-11 16:30 ]

T

Sorry I see that it says that these are rattan poles.

The video of the ones in the Mai Kai look to have bamboo poles.
Are the poles at the Mai Kai Bamboo?
Somebody from the Mai Kai will know.

If the poles are different then why did they make them with two different types of poles would be my next question.

This is a cool wall for sure I need to say.
But at a high dollar you would want them to be from the Mai Kai I guess.

Good luck.

T

Knew I had pics of the Kahiki ones and they look to be rattan as well.
Not that that means much, but there it is.
Just to let all know I am not going to bid on these as I am full up on tiki.

H

***[CW,

Your unwarranted wrath is quite transparent :
You have lashed out at me because I refused to bow down to your sense of entitlement.](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/81807/57d5dd4e.jpg)***

"If you are a bully of a teacher, your students will fear you and you will attract students who want others to fear them. They will never hold you in high esteem, only your fighting skills. The same holds true for people in leadership roles in any walk of life."

>

I've never experienced such hatred from an adult, regarding the sale of an item on eBay.
Furthermore : I've never had an adult Roar at me publicly , prior to reaching out to me one-on-one privately.
I believe the kids are calling it "trolling" these days - correct me if i'm wrong.

I've never posted on TC . . . True 100% yet irrelevant.
You are veteran and I'm rookie on TC.
I get it.

Everyone can see this is my first and only post.
I have done nothing besides try to participate in a community which honors MCM,
as a design option MCM has always been dear to my heart.
Instead of forum particpation I have accumulated MCM LIFE magazines & Phaidon's on MCM.

Thousands and thousands of people use forums passively on a daily basis.
My lack of participation prior on TC , does not demand nor imply ,
that my consumption of the information that TC has to offer , was in any way less than yours.
Some of us aren't born for the center stage CW.

Your grounds for an unsavory attitude towards me is fallacious.
The digestion and production of intelligence on the world wide web are not mutually exclusive ,
and moreover, they do not demand priority in precedence as proof of The Ultimate Tiki Affinity.
Bob & Jack Thornton had zero posts on TC when the Mai-Kai was created.

Modern Polynesian Pop predates the www.
The Mai-Kai , at it's epicenter , highlights the paradoxical outcome of humankind's progress ;
for it is only in the untamed rainforest , in all it's uncivilized beauty , that we can feel 'at home'
following the poundage of a long day in the concrete jungle.

Mid-Century Modern relics like the one we have for sale ,
magnetize nostalgia for politer times when one could retire to a cocktail after the workday

• without the passive aggressive pings of a cellphone.

You have chosen to be a bully of a Being.

I feel that my lack of Tiki knowledge isn't something to be ridiculed.
We all have to start at the bottom of the pole CW.

So back to topic:

So many people offered us money , so quickly , all at once
after Jason alerted his suave comrade the 'Tiki King' about this item :
that I refused to allow Jason to sell this item by any means other than an auction.

I am a strong believer in fair and honest opportunity.
An auction allows every person who desires the work of art :
an equal opportunity to fairly win the object of their desire.

Please forward any messages from potential buyers that have been overlooked!
I apologize profusely in advance for the inconvenience and thank them for their patience in dealing with the miscommunication.
I have checked my spam and junk folders and I can not find an ignored inquiry.

We absolutely did not pay $450 for these.

Your efforts towards a panoptic view is skewed.

Triangulation is not becoming of an adult , insinuations and envious whispers are just plain unattractive beyond puberty.

The allegations you have made towards Jason and I are acutely libelous.

This is the exact opposite reaction I dreamed of receiving following
all of the hours of graphic design, video footage, coding, TLC, etc. that I dedicated to this auction.

My husband and I actually got in a tiff last night ,
concerning the legnth of time ( "THREE DAYS TO POST A TIKI ?!" ) it took me
to put together what I thought was a magical tribute worthy of being added to TC Marketplace.
I wanted to honor this beautiful relic.

I think it's sinful to scoff at the beauty and rarity of this amazing work of art.
These are for sale and they are for sale with the information provided to me at purchase.

My husband and I saw the worth of these panels the moment he uncovered them from a forgotten corner in a warehouse.
You too recognized the exclusivity and sweltering beauty , that these pieces radiated.
You incessantly harassed me the moment you knew of this fine work of art's existence ,
regardless of my requests for your patience.

CW Honey . . . It Was My Birthday and You were bullying me

***via triangulation ( again ) to Talk Tiki

instead of letting me relax and enjoy the day

outdoors without our phones , with our feet in the sand !***

*You claim that my Husband and I ignored you and your friends,

and merely used you all for information . . .

That is the antithesis of the truth.*

Your aggressive and obsessive behavior towards me

makes me severely uncomfortable!

I ask that you cease and desist.

It is my right to offer this amazing piece of Tiki History

for sale to everyone at the same time ,

AMICABLY AND FAIRLY

without your ongoing barbaric interruptions.

[***YOU HAVE BEEN FIXATED ON CONTROLLING ME

AND THE SALE OF THIS RELIC FROM THE MOMENT YOU KNEW IT EXISTED!

You are violating my right to first-sale.***](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/81807/57d5fa2b.jpg)

This is America ,

There is no underlying obligation for me to subordinate myself to your demands :

I am free to allow everyone an equal opportunity to own a powerful piece of Tiki History.

It was my right to deny your attempts to manipulate me to do something I did not want to consent to.

Your command that I be obligated to give you unfair and privileged access

to purchase this relic before the general public was ludicrous.

I'm sorry that I could no fulfill your desire for me to honor your 'seniority'

I searched far and wide and I cannot - for the life of me - find any other piece like this for sale.

This auction is truly one-of-a-kind and I am excited to see this relic placed in the right hands of a Genuine Tiki Collector ,
someone who will proudly preserve this powerful piece of Tiki History!

I STILL SAY BID TO WIN!

xo,

Katy Bea

PS: We did go to the Mai-Kai after hours where we were educated by a few senior employees who have worked there for over a decade. It was BADASS ! :P

PPS: Jason had no idea that there were even Symposiums at the Mai-Kai . . . He literally created the Title for me out of thin air on command.

I can sell something on my own : if you leave this auction alone !!!

PPPS: I felt so poorly about not being able to sell these to you outright that I had been preparing a PRIVATE message to you about collaborating on a professional photoshoot. I loved the energy in your portrait on the Hukilau page and I said to myself that it would be incredibly entertaining for the both of us if I photographed you at the Mai-Kai. Your photogenic charisma is poignant yet lightweight like a grown up Kewpie / Shirley . . . I went so far as to tell my mother that I was excited to propose collaborating with you. How crazy is that ?!

I felt guilty that I could not give you the same access that I gave Harold.

You've done a great job at monopolizing private time on my birthday, scaring me by hunting for anything to assist in the demise of my character, and hurting my feelings.

I hope you can turn your intense focus onto something more productive.

T

Going to add this here from the sale page as one day that page will be gone.
This is good for history's sake.

Item specifics
Seller Notes:
“This item is in incredible condition for a vintage piece. It was stored in a climate controlled room for it's entire existence. I am amazed at the level of quality the tiles, the rattan poles and ties, and the tiki poles are in - being that this was salvaged from a Tropical Climate. This is the ultimate Tiki Polynesian Pop Collectors Item. It doesn't get better than this in terms of used. It's a museum quality piece from Mai-Kai, a Nationally Registered Historic site. They are no longer allowed to change any piece of the Mai-Kai's structure following it's induction into the National Registry of Historic Places. We used an all natural mild cleaner to rid the item of natural dust build up. You can finish it to taste with a sealant or wood oil, however it is naturally a 10/10 ! It is the Holy Grail of Tiki Memorabilia. Bid to Win!”

Color:
Jade Green
Mai-Kai Interior Designer: George Nakashima
Type: Room Divider Tiki Collectables: Polynesian Pop
Style: Mid-Century Modern Tiki Totems: Cass Carving, Lost Angeles
Region of Origin: Mai-Kai Ft. Lauderdale Jade Ceramic Tiles: Oceanic Arts
Original/Reproduction: Original Tiki Panel Width: 10 feet
Materials: Redwood Tiki Totems, Rattan, Jade Ceramic Tiles Jade Ceramic Tile: 1 ft x 1ft square

T

This too....

Raiders of the Lost Tiki

I uncovered this Mai-Kai relic in the Southeast corner of an enormous warehouse in South Florida. The proprietor of the space had impeccable taste and a penchant for the bizarre. He informed me that this particular monstrous warehouse was the smaller of his storage units . . . he had another twice it’s size!

The tiki was hidden under a dusty canvas dropcloth, dying to be discovered. As my flashlight moved slowly from the left to the right - the beam of light washed over indistinct forms - I felt like Indiana Jones! I was imagining the possible horrors which may lurk under the next tarp, there was sure to be a human head in a jar, or a cursed mummy, I thought to myself. My eyes scanned the corner : a Heywood Wakefield, an Eames, an Indian motorbike . . . And that’s when I saw it.

I was hit with the dreadful realization that I very likely unable to afford to purchase anything from this veteran collector's upscale treasure trove - but it was worth a shot. I feigned a casual interest in the direction of the Eames lounge chair / ottoman combo, “How much for the La-Z-Boy ?”. His only response was an unconcerned laugh which confirmed my fears : this guy knew his stuff. Against all odds, I still had to find a way to make this tiki relic come home with me.

I instantly recognized that the room divider came from The Mai-Kai, and the collector verified that it was indeed from the historic Polynesian Pop paradise in Fort, Lauderdale. The moment I discovered this precious abandoned artwork will forever be enveloped in the mystery and magic of The Mai-Kai, you see, the morning when I located this lucky find was a year to the day , from when I last lounged at the MaiKai. I was certain of the timing because it was my wife’s birthday. ( Off topic but : my wife is so cool that she goes digging in a creepy warehouse with me on the morning of her birthday. And she doesn’t just begrudgingly go along with it - she’s totally excited about it! I truly am the luckiest man alive! )

Noticing that one of the sections of tiki carvings was missing, I tried to downplay the quality of the precious artifact by pointing out that it was incomplete. “Too bad that guy left the party”, I said pointing to the gap in the tiki totem, “Do you think you might have it laying around somewhere?” He didn't have a clue. I thought I would be mocking him when I made my initial offer - but a portal to tiki heaven opened up - and to my surprise we arrived at an agreeable number! He sold it to me with the caveat that I had better find a good home for it, with someone who recognized it’s true worth. We literally maxed out our last credit card to complete the sale.

I ecstatically began moving aside some crates and heavy signs in order to create a path by which to remove the tiki relic from the warehouse. In doing so, I shifted a pile of wood with old block and tackles hanging from it. I was struck on the shoulder by some jagged beams and thought to myself that I would probably need a tetanus shot. Before I could formulate frustration however : I saw the face of the missing tiki totem amongst the flotsam! The section was once again complete. It was beyond Far Out ! . . . More than meant to be!

Wow that is an awesome piece! But I'm confused; is it actually from the Mai Kai? Seems like that should be fairly easy to verify, no?

On 2016-09-12 08:16, happy buddha wrote:
Wow that is an awesome piece! But I'm confused; is it actually from the Mai Kai? Seems like that should be fairly easy to verify, no?

I have the same thought. Without it being verified by the Mai Kai or by photo evidence, it's worth is significantly less. Hell as far as we know it could have came from a Chinese restaurant from the same era.

Exactly my point. The Mai-Kai should verify.

Don't worry, I've sent them the information and they will get back to me.

I stand firm to what I said above. If the seller has been honest from the beginning, I would have supported this sale but with no authenticity it's just something pretty.

This guy will win.
Ebay was more fun when you could see who was biding and what they bid on in the past.
a***k( 5587

N

theres something else going on here too... look closely at his description

"Noticing that one of the sections of tiki carvings was missing, I tried to downplay the quality of the precious artifact by pointing out that it was incomplete. “Too bad that guy left the party”, I said pointing to the gap in the tiki totem, “Do you think you might have it laying around somewhere?”"

now look at this photo that they did NOT post to ebay...missing tiki section (left side red arrows)

when i inquired about the missing tiki section, all i got was denial. at best it is repaired but they even denied that!

first message

second message denying it

third message now damage control and the wife is now responding instead

buyer beware and proceed with caution. 450.00 is a fucking steal...how incredibly lucky even if it didnt come from the kai

*maxed out their credit card at 450.00?

also "i sell ultra rare antique items only".....like these

[ Edited by: nomeus 2016-09-12 13:09 ]

N

On 2016-09-12 11:29, tiki_kiliki wrote:

I stand firm to what I said above. If the seller has been honest from the beginning, I would have supported this sale but with no authenticity it's just something pretty.

the fact that i didnt get a direct and honest answer as to why the tiki section was missing from the left side is what really turned me off. can spot that double talk bullshit a mile away. when people use lots of colorful words without giving a direct and simple reply, you know already that something is wrong

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Sep 12, 2016 4:56 PM

the plot thickens...

H

Why are You narrating what you assume my husband and I are doing?

It really freaks me out when you say :

third message now damage control and the wife is now responding instead

Jason is a famous artist.
He doesn't come on the computer and toy with tikis.
He does not have time for it.

I stated that it was me the entire time?
Why are you slandering me?

I'm the photographer,
web designer,
lister, etc. I.E. I do the bitch work
not him.

PLUS...

I would never marry a man - that needed a woman - to save him from himself.

why are you asking me about photos I didn't take? i don't know how to even begin to respond to that.

our tiki relic is a piece of history and it is complete we have not repaired it.
all of the parts of this relic can be disassembled like a K'NEX?

what don't you understand.

The relic is complete because Jason found the missing piece and
it's whole in the bidding because we cleaned and assembled it for the photograph!

The reaction you are having to my kindness is unspeakable.

You are illegally using eBay.

How can you be so disingenuous to the core and allege me a liar?

You are here all day posting libelous nasty things about a relic I have generously offered to the public for sale.
Yet simultaneously you are bidding on our item - in fact you are the highest bidder.

You are illegally using your eBay account to sabotage our sale.

You posted publicly all over this forum - that you are the tiki_exotica, the inquirer in the eBay messages you posted.
You should not brag about false bids off of eBay and then simultaneously be the highest bidder.

You incriminated yourself.
You edited our messages and posted them to allege that I am a liar.
But also left out that you were the highest bidder.

You edited the message because you left out the final message I sent you
that was connected to the last one you posted publicly:
there was a 1000 character limit so the message was broken up into two.

when i inquired about the missing tiki section, all i got was denial. at best it is repaired but they even denied that!

how can you say that our listing doesn't describe the piece as being found disassembled???

there are no words.
I've circled the important parts.
think about it.

we spent hours preparing this relic for auction.

why are you bullying me?

why are you ridiculing me for being poor?
we spent our last credit on this relic so that we could rescue it
so that it could be relocated to a private tiki paradise
in the tender loving care of someone who really wants an authentic piece of tiki history!

when i'm finished using products in my home i resell them on eBay
instead of sending them to the overstuffed landfills.

also again - duh - i'm poor
i sell these petty things on eBay
because the extra dollars really matter to me -
and I work my ass off so that I can do what I love.

i buy things off of eBay instead of Target so that
i can get deals on things that I need on a regular basis.

you're obviously not poor -
and you've never been taught to
treat people as equals , and with kindness.

i forgive you boo.

we do make a living off of ultra rare antiques and vintage things.
we do what we love and money hasn't been a motivation for our careers
my husband makes a living drawing on vintage things
specifically drawing vintage images on vintages matchbooks.

MOST IMPORTANTLY :

Jason and I were not lucky.
I am a hierophant and Jay is a magician.
We actually worked our asses off in the spiritual plane to be rewarded with finding this relic.
Jason is good at finding relics.
You should check out his actual auction history on his website.

He paid $2.50 for a book that everyone said was worthless and it went for $16K at Christie's in 2001.
He was due for another relic.

We are blessed and we hope that you can allow this relic to find a responsible home.

It needs to be cherished - not berated.

Thank You.

xo
Katy Bea

T

"I am a hierophant"

Dear Santa I would like one of those word a day calendars this year for Christmas, Thank you.

It is odd how TC goes all bitch cakes when a person tries to get as much as they can for a tiki item when they sell it and get ripped for being opportunistic.

BUT there are two threads on TC dedicated to TCers who have found a tiki or old item at a WAY below price of said tiki or old item and everybody goes "great find"

Should we be fair and say "hey give that person closer to what it's worth" when they don't know what they have.

There are even eBayers that do the ol "I will be out of town when that comes up will you take one fourth of what it's really worth"
TC loves that guy, But then he is Charming.

Dam how many TCers buy and sell mugs and other tiki stuff and profit off of it.
And many times that's new stuff that comes from Disney or some new bar.

I in the past have sold tiki items just for full disclosure.
Then use the money for more tiki crap.

N

On 2016-09-12 18:31, haughtee wrote:

sociopathic ramblings

you really need to look at the time stamps of all this stuff... i stopped bidding at 11:35 cali time..my first post here wasnt until 12:39 cali time. since when did they make laws that govern ebay? never...theres nothing illegal about bidding on an item. i stopped bidding when i saw what was going on here, the main issues being 1. i got the run around (as seen in my own screen shots) when i asked what happened to the missing section of tiki on the left side (in my photo) 2. this piece most likely has nothing to do with the mai kai yet you are using that bullshit to sell this piece. in fact, that is your MAIN selling point. "mai kai" "relic""mystery" blah blah blah. its a piece you got for 450.00 and yes, that is awesome...sincerely good for you but just the way you are in general with this whole thing is really what the issue is. look at the things youve said and the way youve said them. look at how you replied to tiki kiliki when what she said was completely true. over react much? it really is too bad that people cant leave comments on ebay listings the same way they do on youtube because id say it again "buyer beware" and id add "most likely NOT from the mai kai". you have 0 proof of its authenticity yet you make these bold, obtuse claims. take away all of the mai kai claims from your listing and now what do you have? just a cool old tiki decoration. whats it really worth without the mai kai claim? i suppose whatever someone wants to pay but i promise you this, it would be MUCH less without your fuzzy connection to the kai.

you know whats so perfect about all of this... you look exactly how i pictured you to be

[ Edited by: nomeus 2016-09-12 21:39 ]

T

Is that that traditional clothing of a hierophant?

A hierophant (Ancient Greek: ἱåñïöÜíôçò) is a person who brings religious congregants into the presence of that which is deemed holy.

Just passing through, but. . . That matchbook art is really nice!

OGR

...take a shot every time "Relic" is used...:)

S

I could search my photo archive for evidence, but at this rate, maybe a consultants fee would be in order because I could increase the value of the item. I have a hunch about where it might have come from.

It's pretty large, so the potential buyers are reduced.

p.s. What Order is he a Hierophant of? O.T.O.? Maybe that info is Sub Rosa for the public.

T

Swanky I think she is the hierophant.
“I am a hierophant and Jay is a magician.”
Can’t imagine that pays well.
You are the first a hierophant I have ever heard of.

Man I need to get out from under this rock from time to time.

From the net….
O.T.O. Samhain Ritual

Open the Temple in fire.

Banishing ritual.

Hierophant: Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Hierophant: Ve Gabolah.

Ring bell 5-5-5-5-5

Priest strikes staff upon ground 3-3-3, 5-5-5-5-5, 3-3-3

Return bell and staff to altar.

Hierophant: Let all adore the King of Fire.

All do the god form of
PUER, the fire of
NOX, facing Altar.

AUM

Hierophant picks up dagger and points toward the East, standing in the West.

OGR

I meant what I said,
and I said what I meant
A hierophant's faithful,
One hundred percent.

T

There is a facebook page for Haughtee as well, congratz on your recent marriage you two.
The matchbook art is cool!
https://www.facebook.com/haughtee/

my spells are songs

i've got one just for you . . .

FATE AWAITS : https://www.facebook.com/KBMAK/videos/10101865139961605

[ Edited by: haughtee 2016-09-13 11:03 ]

TikiSkip, you recall how much some of the Kahiki Screens went for at auction? This just seems ridiculous to me.

whats sad is people are bidding crazy amounts of money that supports these fake bohemian hipster swindlers to keep doing this.

This stuff....

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-09-13 12:31 ]

On 2016-09-13 12:30, tikiskip wrote:
This stuff....

Yes you tease

I got very little of it.
Had a huge post all done up in response to your question and it disappeared before I posted it.
Man I think it's freaky voodoo heebee jeebee priestess stuff.

All that and more was between 5 and 8 thousand.

Still have Kahiki tables that I can't get rid of and most of that stuff for all I know is still in a storage unit.

N

skip..is that your stuff just sitting in a warehouse?

N

On 2016-09-13 10:47, haughtee wrote:
[/url]

[ Edited by: haughtee 2016-09-13 11:03 ]

was this done by the famous artist that nobody has heard of? might wanna stick to the matchbooks...just sayin

H

ZombieZach89
whats sad is people are bidding crazy amounts of money that supports these fake bohemian hipster swindlers to keep doing this.

"haughtee" licenses work from fine artists .
so by supporting us - you are in fact supporting an entire roster of the worlds most valuable players
in the "Bohemian Hipster Swindler" scene.

My husband ( who is a famous artist ) uses the word "Lowbrow Pop Surrealism" like the rest of the grown ups.

Let's sway to a more positive melody now . . .

[You guys HAVE TO CHECK OUT MILES THOMPSON
His tiki art is out of this world ! ! !

support us so that we can keep doing this

miles thompson "pineapple girl"

jason d'aquino "skull crab"](http://www.haughtee.com)

we hand make each one special to order (like cocktail at the bar)
we can do any image your tiki heart desires
these are waaaaaay more affordable than the relic

hopefully at some point we can make you smile :P

H

Just heard from the Mai-Kai, they didn't come out of the restaurant at all but out of a home nearby. When the home sold they were asked if they wanted to buy them, they declined.

N

On 2016-09-13 13:54, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Just heard from the Mai-Kai, they didn't come out of the restaurant at all but out of a home nearby. When the home sold they were asked if they wanted to buy them, they declined.

N

oh wow look..its a poor mans shag knockoff. you have any idea how many people have copied shags style over the years? seriously just delete your account

Maybe it came from Trader Vic's?

Ya ya, that's right!

Trader Vic's now! Ya.

lowbrow pop surrealism eh. well the rest of the freaks like me call it lowbrow, and we dont want you in our club, so neh neh neh neh nah.

B

Nomeus,

With all due respect, regarding your tangent to the "Mai Kai" panel post, Miles Thompson is hardly a poor mans shag knock off. Shag is obviously a Tiki art touchstone, and I understand how you could make your misinformed comment as this image is small and hard to see..But you would really must be a tiki neophyte not to know that Miles is a masterful artist and professional animator who has been in the tiki scene at least as long as Shag, and has dozens of a-list gallery art shows, has hundreds of collectors all over the world and in particular has had a set of amazing paintings in one of the worlds premier tiki bars, the Tiki Ti in Hollywood. In the immortal words of Ice Cube: "Check yourself before you wreck yourself".

On 2016-09-13 14:14, nomeus wrote:

oh wow look..its a poor mans shag knockoff. you have any idea how many people have copied shags style over the years? seriously just delete your account

T

On 2016-09-13 12:49, nomeus wrote:
skip..is that your stuff just sitting in a warehouse?

No I backed out of the deal.
I do love your little clips you post though.

haughtee am sorry about the ribbing, it is bumping your thread.
Being new AND selling an item with such a high price will bring about
some good and bad.

This has been one of the most active threads in some time so thank you for that.

You have Kahiki tables?????

N

On 2016-09-13 14:49, BigToe wrote:
Nomeus,

With all due respect, regarding your tangent to the "Mai Kai" panel post, Miles Thompson is hardly a poor mans shag knock off. Shag is obviously a Tiki art touchstone, and I understand how you could make your misinformed comment as this image is small and hard to see..But you would really must be a tiki neophyte not to know that Miles is a masterful artist and professional animator who has been in the tiki scene at least as long as Shag, and has dozens of a-list gallery art shows, has hundreds of collectors all over the world and in particular has had a set of amazing paintings in one of the worlds premier tiki bars, the Tiki Ti in Hollywood. In the immortal words of Ice Cube: "Check yourself before you wreck yourself".

never heard of him and was going by what i saw which to me is a shag knock off. just calling it like i see it. theres so much of this stuff that looks way too similar imo. i too have my own art in the tiki ti..maybe youve seen it? its a black sharpie masterpiece which ive titled "nomeus". it too is small and hard to see but trust me it is there. i like to think of it as more of a homage to the great grafitti artists such as dali, picasso, washington, just to name a few. my piece is also world famous as it can be seen in random bathrooms and port-o-jons in all the countries of the world and even in the world premier tiki bar, the molokai. just ask for lampshade #4 and youll see it. it was even featured in the world renown, hit documentary "plastic paradise".

to quote the best selling author and blockbuster director weird al yankovic "ask not what your country can do for you, but teach a man to fish and he wont look a glass house in the mouth".

H

miles is the god of tiki.

a larger photo showing miles in all of his glory.

dude you are really out of your element.

honestly dude - shag has nailed it commercially :
but plastic (acrylic) relying upon zeros and ones will never
have the same poignance that gouache conveys :

gouache is wet but it is matte
gouache is creamy like a white russian

No-Metus . . .

looks way too similar imo

gouache doesn't have time for mistakes

gouache's lines follow indescribable tangents

there is something ultimately contrived about acrylic

you are lonely
you are angry
you are spiteful

you need to find a a way to pleasure yourself.

APOLOGIZE TO THE TIKI GOD WHICH IS MILES THOMPSON!

H

since we are getting down to the IMO's . . .

tikiskip is a badass . . .

N

On 2016-09-13 17:15, haughtee wrote:

Pages: 1 2 85 replies