Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Rare Vintage Tiki MAI-KAI Relic Mid-Century Modern Polynesian Pop Room Divider

Pages: 1 2 85 replies

Since we're all flying off on tangents, I agree that Miles is top-notch, and calling him a Shag rip-off is nuts. But I'm still confused about this relic. If it didn't come from the Mai Kai, where then?

EJ

On 2016-09-13 17:37, happy buddha wrote:
Since we're all flying off on tangents, I agree that Miles is top-notch, and calling him a Shag rip-off is nuts. But I'm still confused about this relic. If it didn't come from the Mai Kai, where then?

One page back Tiki Kiliki stated she confirmed that it's not from the Mai Kai but from someone's home.

T

"tikiskip is a badass"

Well I have been called a dumb a$$ soooo.

Here's one thing I have found as far as the Kahiki goes.
Twice there were people that had stuff just like the Kahiki and it kinda came from the Kahiki.

The first time was Bob Karst he was one of the first bartenders well his wife and he were selling off the Rattan furniture they got right when the Kahiki opened and put it in their house. (set of ten pieces?)
Well the stuff was PRISTINE, if it had been in the Kahiki it would have been trashed,
So same stuff but never in the Kahiki.

Number two was a lady at the bank that I went to everyday, think old church lady.
Well she and her husband knew one of the workers at the Kahiki and they got a tiki that was put in the Kahiki but in was removed because it had a penis.

Cue the person that says I'm full of it here....

This lady I trusted and offered her I think it was in the hundereds.
She said no.
But think, that would have been a perfect tiki, was it from the Kahiki?
Since it was removed and perfect was it better than had it been in the Kahiki.

Just playing Devil's Advocate.

I do have Kahiki tables.
But I have side tracked this thread too much already, PM for info.

Leave you with this....
Hey, Leland Gaunt is from Ohio, who knew?
Needful Things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKCJxsO1jt8

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-09-13 18:35 ]

I'm going to buy it to hush everyone

H

tikiskip DON'T BE HUMBLE

You are the only one here who is able to straddle reality and fantasy at the same time

you are el capitan and the rest of Us are the "bobbing apples"

. . .

let's get down to business . . .

what is everyone wearing to the book signing !!! ???? :P

H

tiki jimmy(with a y cause you just made the badass list)
omfg luv it

B

Jason is an amazing artist. But at this point, you need to either get a letter of authenticity from the Mai Kai or you should edit your listing...despite how great the piece is. And for what it's worth, Christie is the Tiki authority in your neck of the woods, so it's a mistake for you not to make her an ally.

[ Edited by: bigtoe 2016-09-13 21:38 ]

N

all that matters at this point is that beyond not having any proof of authenticity, the mai kai has already said it isnt theirs and even added where it came from (someones house)

now compare the photos...clearly not the same and theres no denying that

*take a tour around the kai and see for youself

https://goo.gl/maps/jrEn8VA5dcC2

i implore you folks to call ebay 866-540-3229 and give them the item number 322257827490. tell them its a high dollar fraudulent listing. the more that do, the better

or simply click this link http://cgi1.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReportThisItemRedirect&active=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2566&itemid=322257827490&seller=hello.haughtee

[ Edited by: nomeus 2016-09-13 22:01 ]

Yeah if the Mai Kai says it didn't come from there, then it didn't. You should edit your sale. But I'm with skip. That thing likely wasn't made to go in someone's house. Some more digging may lead to its origins

T

Seeing the photo that nomeus posted the Mai Kai one looks like it has nodes like bamboo.
The one for sale is rattan and has no nodes.

And the tying on the Mai Kai one at the cross sections has two wraps that goes horizontal and Crisscross, the one for sale has only Crisscross with no horizontals.

At this price range it may be important to get proof that this is from the Mai Kai.
What made you think it was from the Mai Kai in the first place?
This info will help your sale.

J

On 2016-09-13 19:45, haughtee wrote:

You are the only one here who is able to straddle reality and fantasy at the same time

. . .

let's get down to business . . .

what is everyone wearing to the book signing !!! ???? :P

Fantasy is a luxury that shouldn't be involved in a high-value auction. Some fool is going to get ripped off by you two and you don't seem to care. Maybe you should plant yourself and your listing on the side of reality long enough to edit your listing and advise the current high bidder that you were mistaken in your representation of the history of the item.

And do you really think you're going to be welcome at the book signing after using the name of the Mai Kai to fool somebody into giving you a lot of money for something with an unrelated history? You really are living in a fantasy world, aren't you!

S

Just here to say Miles is awesome. His work is never to be confused on any level with Shag's. I'd say they came along concurrently. Their style and medium are wholly different. I covet Miles paintings!

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

[ Edited by: Swanky 2016-09-14 08:31 ]

Tiki Skip.

Looking at the "fraud screen" closely, it looks like "River Bamboo" to me.

Looks close to rattan but doesn't have the long strings like rattan. Smoother surface.

Safari Thatch in Ft. Lauderdale, near the Mai Kai, sells it. Comes approx 1.5"-2" thick and has

that slight /curvebend to it. It's used a lot on furniture. Almost solid throughout.

This screen might have even been made within the last 20 years.

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. Hale Tiki, Kona Club, Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson,
Don the Beachcomber, Tiki No, Tong Lei Room, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Longi

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2016-09-14 09:54 ]

N

the famous artist (or is it magician?) jason even refers to the mai kai as "crap" so wouldnt that imply that his authetic relic is also crap since they are boasting it came from the mai kai?

[ Edited by: nomeus 2016-09-14 11:27 ]

Thanks Ben did not know of that river boo.
What I don't get is the price is going up, And at 7 thousand the winner right now is a TCer.
Is that right?

Something is not right here.

J

I hope the fool who ends up paying for this doesn't expect to actually be able to get it. It's too bad the Feedback percentage only comes from the two items they've bought in the past year. The detail of their feedback as a seller tells another story.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2016-09-14 13:34 ]

I don't know what's more exciting.... the presidential race, or this topic!

T

On 2016-09-14 13:33, JenTiki wrote:
I hope the fool who ends up paying for this doesn't expect to actually be able to get it. It's too bad the Feedback percentage only comes from the two items they've bought in the past year. The detail of their feedback as a seller tells another story.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2016-09-14 13:34 ]

And who ponies up 7 G's without fully investigating the buyer!? I can only hope the bidder(s) duck out of this. I know there's a penalty, but it's better than being ripped off.

N

On 2016-09-14 20:04, twitch wrote:

And who ponies up 7 G's without fully investigating the buyer!?

I just went through the last 500 feedbacks for this seller, unless I missed something there was one negative, one neutral and 498 positive. Don't be disingenuous.

H

***[WE

KNOW

YOU'RE

HANGRY . . .

BON APPETIT ! ! !

#coconutcradlers

](https://www.facebook.com/haughtee/videos/532922626901401/)***

T

The one thing I don’t get maybe I missed it, BUT can you tell us what proof you have that this item you are selling and brought here on Tiki Central to advertise is from the Mai Kai?

You say your husband is famous and also that you guys deal in Fine Art + Vintage and Ultra Rare Finds
If this is the case why would you risk your personal reputation and the reputations of all the businesses you have?

Your four businesses haughtee.com, hello.haughtee @eBay, jasondaquino.com, ohsobeit.com,
Could be damaged by people getting the idea that you misrepresent the items you sell.
That’s not very professional.

So what proof do you have that this item (the Rare Vintage Tiki MAI-KAI Relic Mid-Century Modern Polynesian Pop Room Divider) you have on eBay is from the Mai Kai?

To answer this question can only help you, and help you avoid future regret.

Not joking here, can you help us understand this question?
You took a lot of time making the eBay sale page and then the things you posted here as well, do the one thing that will help you make more from this sale.

Once and for all, what proof do you have that this item is from the Mai Kai?

Thank you.

WHO THE FUCK CARES? To the seller: Don't say what you have no proof of. To the potential buying public: Don't buy it if you don't want it and don't believe in it. I looked at the whole damned thread and said "hmm", shrugged my shoulders, am writing this, and will shortly wash dishes and leaf-blower the driveway. Where are the current mods? We would have locked this this topic in the early days of TC pages ago.

It IS an incredible piece. It didn't need to be misrepresented to sell. You coulda got an easy $4k-$5k for that thing without lying about it or incurring any of this headache. Bummer.

At the same time, Yes! Thanks for waking Tiki Central back up!

P

you don't lock down famous dave.

bwahahahahaha

who fucking cares about your hipster husband and his psuedo fame.

N

R

[ Edited by: robotiki 2016-09-15 15:40 ]

“WHO THE FUCK CARES?”
I do, I’m not a bidder but I know a person who is.

“We would have locked this this topic in the early days of TC”
I can’t see why you would do that, it’s a tiki that is cool and there are questions about it, So it fits right in with TC.
A bit of BS in-between but still some good info and more questions to answer.

“and will shortly wash dishes and leaf-blower the driveway”
I’m doing plumbing and it was nice to get away from that for a bit.

On 2016-09-15 08:24, Basement Kahuna wrote:
WHO THE FUCK CARES? To the seller: Don't say what you have no proof of. To the potential buying public: Don't buy it if you don't want it and don't believe in it. I looked at the whole damned thread and said "hmm", shrugged my shoulders, am writing this, and will shortly wash dishes and leaf-blower the driveway. Where are the current mods? We would have locked this this topic in the early days of TC pages ago.

I've had a few requests to move this topic off the board, but it's going to stay and here's why.

This thread can be used as evidence that haughtee knowingly committed fraud in the misrepresentation of the panel she is selling on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAI-KAI-RELIC-RARE-Vintage-Tiki-Mid-Century-Modern-Polynesian-Pop-ROOM-DIVIDER-/322257827490?hash=item4b081036a2:g:IjMAAOSwdIFX02-R

It has been clearly pointed out that the Mai Kai has confirmed that this panel is not from the Mai Kai. Haughtee is obviously now aware of this fact yet continues to misrepresent the history of this panel. This is indeed fraud.

From the FBI: AUCTION FRAUD
Auction fraud involves fraud attributable to the misrepresentation of a product advertised for sale through an Internet auction site or the non-delivery of products purchased through an Internet auction site.

Whoever buys this panel may eventually see this thread and learn that they were a victim of fraud. If YOU are that buyer, here's where you can report the crime:

Miami-Dade Police Department:
http://www.miamidade.gov/police/economic-crimes-bureau.asp

FBI:
https://www.ic3.gov/crimeschemes.aspx

Additionally, I will not be locking this thread at this time as the continued bumps raises the visibility.

NOTE: Since posting the above, the seller has updated the auction description, details below.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2016-09-15 22:27 ]

N

Most rational thing in this thread so far

(My husband is famous)

J

Looks like the listing has been updated, and they're not likely getting their reserve price.

N

"Researching this relic led us to a 16 year employee of the Mai-Kai. She demanded that I sell this item to her off of eBay - before any other tiki collectors could know about it.

We declined to sell the item off of eBay, explaining we preferred the democracy and fairness of this platform. As soon as we declined her demands she became enraged and has begun a personal vendetta against our auction.

This is an Authentic Mid Century Modern Tiki Room Divider. The tiles and Tiki totems are identical in brand and style and size to the TIki totems and tiles found on the same room dividers in the Mai-Kai. My businesses, my family, my social media platforms, and my life have been threatened by her associates who are equally as enraged and fanatic that I did not give her this item.

For fear of our personal safety : we are noting here in extravagantly detailed fashion, that the employee aforementioned has made it absolutely impossible for this item's origin/location to be authenticated as the Mai-Kai directly proceeding our refusal to sell them to her before taking them to auction."

well thats libel right there... mai kai could potentially sue for this since there is no employee of 16 years at mai kai that has spoken with them. they are only assuming it is an employee and this person is not employed by MK

*also this is the only place where they halfass say it isnt from the mai kai. notice the choice in colors..background and font. totally designed for the potential buyer to gloss right over it. needless to say, they still claim its from the kai all over that listing. such a feeble attempt at swindling people

[ Edited by: nomeus 2016-09-15 19:49 ]

T

Ok, the Mai Kai No video on the eBay sale page for this Mai Kai wall thing is funny.
Props to you for that!

N

On 2016-09-16 16:22, tikiskip wrote:
Ok, the Mai Kai No video on the eBay sale page for this Mai Kai wall thing is funny.
Props to you for that!

its funny on the surface but if you really watch it, its a bitter lashing out. not sure why they didnt end the listing and just start over without any mention of the mai kai.

P

Their Coconut Cradlers video on YouTube made me laugh mildly. Someone is going to a lot of trouble to be haughty.

[ Edited by: phinz 2016-09-17 11:10 ]

The listing is gone.

Bet it sold anyway off eBay.
There seems to be a LOT more to this story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TexgzrwEwc0

H

So the auction was terminated before a proper close. Maybe they will re-list it with an honest description. We shall see, until then, this topic is done.

Pages: 1 2 85 replies