Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Mai-Kai Book Release Event Sept 17th

Pages: 1 15 replies

S

A no cost event. I bill this as the "anti-event" event. No bands. No tickets. Vendors? None, but you are welcome, I just won't do anything officially. This is an opportunity for uber-Tiki nerds to come hang out with other uber-Tiki nerds in Tiki Heaven: The Mai-Kai, with the Mai-Kai experts. That's plural because Jim Hayward is the Mai-Kai cocktail expert. A relaxed event with the emphasis on socializing and having the chance to talk to people in a meaningful way who are into the same nerdy stuff you are. That can be rare, and is frankly the best part of most events for me.

And its about having an intimate nerdy experience with the Mai-Kai. That's why we come to Fort Lauderdale right? I want to make that better, not mess it up.

The Friday bus tour of Mai-Kai architect Charles McKirahan Mid-Mod buildings is $15 and includes drivers tip and bottled water, but it is currently sold out. Email if you want on the waiting list.

We rented out an amazing mid-century motel and Jim Hayward of Atomic Grog will be heading up a crew to mix a batch of the Mai-Kai's Big Bamboo for guests. But the hotel is full. Email if you want on the waiting list.

I will be leading a walking tour of the Mai-Kai emphasizing how it has changed over the decades and pointing out things you may have never noticed or known about. No charge, but limited to 50 people and it is full.

Jim Hayward is curating some "Lost Cocktails" from the Mai-Kai's old menus for us in Molokai. Those are available on Saturday. (I think. May be limited to our group.)

This is Danny's work in progress.

Danny "Tiki Diablo" is doing a re-imagined version of a vintage Mai-Kai bowl for the book called Tupaupau - "Devil Woman." Guests will get the first chance to buy next weekend. Limited edition of 125.

I will be doing a presentation on Saturday at 2PM at the Mai-Kai with a book signing in Molokai to follow at 3PM with early Happy Hour. Come by to get your book signed! No cost, but you must make a reservation with the Mai-Kai for the presentation.

Facebook Event is here

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

[ Edited by: swanky 2016-09-11 09:27 ]

S

Just announced Mike Skinner will be doing a pop-up version of his Tiki Oasis presentation on Nautical Tiki at the hotel this weekend focusing on the Mai-Kai. He dug up some fantastic info on the 1971 Molokai Bar renovations that I will have to add to the book's 2nd edition.

Also, veteran Mai-Kai Islanders Toti Terorotua and Fles will be playing for us on Saturday in the Molokai during the book signing. Fles recently retired after decades in the show. Toti is the founder of the Mai-Kai show and you can read about him in my book, and the Tiki Magazine article by Tom Duncan is the definitive work on his amazing career. Don the Beachcomber himself tapped Toti to come to Hawaii from Tahiti for his show, and he landed at the Mai-Kai with all the other DtB talent!

S

Danny "Tiki Diablo" "The Most Interesting Man in the World" strikes again!

His re-interpretation of a vintage and EXTREMELY rare Mai-Kai lidded bowl we call Tupaupau - "Devil Woman".

2 straw holes in the lid, and copper earrings. Limited edition of 125 available to the guests at the release event first. Remaining bowls, if any, go on sale after wards to the public.

Amazing work, as usual!

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

[ Edited by: Swanky 2016-09-13 18:35 ]

S

Thank you to Appleton Rum for sponsoring us this weekend!

See you there on Saturday!!

S

Hurricane Hayward says the Dr. Fong and Hanalei Bay have not been served at the Mai-Kai in decades! Exciting opportunity to try one of Don the Beachcomber's originals (Dr. Funk and Montego Bay) prepared by the place that has the original recipes and has been serving them since Don was around.

Lemon Hart 151 Swizzle vs. Hamilton 151 Swizzle

Just in time for you weekend of classic Mai-Kai cocktails, here's the latest news on the rums of The Mai-Kai, including the return of Lemon Hart plus Appleton replacing Kohala Bay. It includes lists of all the cocktails featuring these rums, plus lots of reviews and recommendations. Okole maluna!

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/

Tonight's happy hour begins at 4 for special event guests, 5 p.m. for the general public.

Saturday's schedule
(Sold out: You must have reservations to arrive before 4:30)
1 p.m. - The Molokai bar opens (no happy hour)
2 p.m. - Swanky's presentation begins
3 p.m. - After presentation: Book signings and happy hour until 7 p.m.
4:30 p.m. - The restaurant opens to the public
https://www.facebook.com/events/1742401802712406/

Limited appetizers available from 1-3 p.m. (only classics, no tapas menu), then after 3 the full appetizer menu is available.

Lost cocktails available from 1 p.m. through the end of happy hour at 7.

Such a great presentation and amazing place!!

Mahalo Swanky and Stephanie, plus all those who attended. It was a special weekend. Here are a few highlights ...

That sure was fun, what a great way to see the Mai Kai for the first time.

DC

Dustycajun: It was great to see you and Katie, plus all the others I had the pleasure of meeting for the fist time.

FYI, we just posted an extensive update on the Big Bamboo ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/06/02/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-big-bamboo-features-big-flavors-unique-history/

Just updated with new photos and a recently uncovered ancestor recipe: Our review and recipes for The Mai-Kai's classic Demerara Float, as featured at the September book release parties at The Mai-Kai ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/09/07/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-classic-demerara-float-rises-again/

A Demerara Float recipe was discovered in "Mr. Lemon Hart’s Tropical Treats" (1973). The book says it was "created at the Mai-Kai Polynesian Restaurant, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida." We don't doubt it, since the book was edited by Leonce Picot, an assistant manager at The Mai-Kai from 1957 until 1967.

Picot was a key member of The Mai-Kai's early management team, credited with helping conceive and launch the Mystery Drink, according to "Mai-Kai: History and Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant." In 2011, Swanky interviewed Picot, who still lives in South Florida, about his role in the creation of the iconic drink. You can find the story on pages 47-55.

Mahalo to Swanky for providing some additional info:

While still at The Mai-Kai, Picot edited a series of books spotlighting restaurants and recipes from around the world. The books – including "Gourmet International's Recommended Restaurants of Puerto Rico" (1961) and "Great Restaurants of the United States and Their Recipes" (1966) – were financed by The Mai-Kai’s owners, Bob and Jack Thornton. The books were illustrated by Al Kocab, known for his distinctive artwork for The Mai-Kai.

Picot was also the Southeast manager of Rums of Puerto Rico. He left The Mai-Kai in 1967 to open the Downunder, which also had recipes in the Lemon Hart book. Picot was "drink editor" of "Mr. Lemon Hart’s Tropical Treats," a paperback that includes more than 125 food and rum cocktail recipes, selling for a mere 95 cents in 1973. Good luck finding it at that price today. Used copies fetch more than $50 on Amazon. See all of Picot's books: http://amzn.to/2eR4rxM

On 2016-10-22 11:47, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

Picot was "drink editor" of "Mr. Lemon Hart’s Tropical Treats," a paperback that includes more than 125 food and rum cocktail recipes, selling for a mere 95 cents in 1973. Good luck finding it at that price today. Used copies fetch more than $50 on Amazon.

After much patience I was able to nab mine off ebay for $20 shipped several months back.

The bummer of the book is that the vast majority of cocktail recipes call for Lemon Hart JAMAICAN rum which I assume has been out of production for atleast 20 years now. Not sure what a suitable sub would be in those cases. I guess I should be doing some experimentation...

S

On 2016-10-22 15:28, mikehooker wrote:

On 2016-10-22 11:47, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

Picot was "drink editor" of "Mr. Lemon Hart’s Tropical Treats," a paperback that includes more than 125 food and rum cocktail recipes, selling for a mere 95 cents in 1973. Good luck finding it at that price today. Used copies fetch more than $50 on Amazon.

After much patience I was able to nab mine off ebay for $20 shipped several months back.

The bummer of the book is that the vast majority of cocktail recipes call for Lemon Hart JAMAICAN rum which I assume has been out of production for atleast 20 years now. Not sure what a suitable sub would be in those cases. I guess I should be doing some experimentation...

If only a more rounded rum company had hired Picot, we might have a lot more recipes and not just those calling for Demerara rums...

Just updated on The Atomic Grog, reviews and recipes of the other "lost cocktails" served in September ...

Hanalei Bay

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/11/20/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-take-a-trip-back-to-hanalei-bay-where-zombies-lurk/

Dr. Fong

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/02/03/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-late-dr-fong-has-a-funky-and-famous-history/

Both have fascinating back stories. There's a good reason we took that photo of Dr. Fong in the Samoa Room.

Also, plans for the 60th anniversary party on Dec. 28 are coming together. Here's the latest on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1246773212034840/

Pages: 1 15 replies