Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Dinner at the Fundraiser

Pages: 1 9 replies

Did a fundraiser for the kid's school at the house.

Had hula dancers, did a pig roast, and came up with a crazy menu.

"Snug as a bug..." I've never seen it done that way before. How many hours, and how did it turn out, and was it a hit with guests?

M

Particulars:

I have a RecTec 680. http://www.rectecgrills.com/ Its a pellet grill. Meaning it is wood fired and has real smoke.

Our little girl there is a ~50lb suckling pig from the market. If you are in Atlanta, Buford Highway Farmers Market to be exact. Not the cheapest cut of meat in the world. $5.99/lb prepped and dressed, ready to cook.

Fire up the grill to 275. Nice thing about the RecTec is you set it at 275 like an oven and forget about it.

We did a brine mixture and injected everywhere. The little girl plumped up. Then a heavy coat of kosher salt and store bought BBQ rub. Flip her over and more salt and rub on the skin.

She went in the grill cavity side down and we cooked it until the hams were ~150.

Gloves on, put her on the table and start pulling out bones and pulling out the meat. We put the shoulders back on for another hour or so. The meat we pulled, wrapped in foil and put in the oven to hold at 140 until serving time.

When the shoulders got to 190 we pulled them and put in the over and held until time to eat.

Pulled it all out, shredded it up and served with Hawaiian rolls, sauce, potato salad, coleslaw and Veggie Fried Rice.

Huge hit. Everybody loved it. Of course it could have been the 7 cocktails on the menu that had then in a state where they would have eaten anything.

Thank you for the follow-up, mmaurice! I haven't used a pellet grill before, but will give it some thought now that you've shared more details. They are selling them pretty much everywhere here.

This is one of the things I really enjoy about Tiki Central - we can learn from others. There's no telling who else will follow your example in the future.

Cheers!

I shared your post in the Backyard Imu thread, thanks :)

Awesome.

UP

Lizzie Coconuts and I are doing a Fundraiser Luau to raise money for the incorporation effort for our town here in FLA. Apparently consultants lawyers and lobbyists cost a lot of money.

We are going to use our La Caja china. I've cooked several whole pigs in it with great results. Usually I just get one from our local Florida based supermarket chain that begins with a P, but we want to make it special so I've ordered a Heritage Breed (Red Wattle/Black Cross) for the event.

mmaurice- I'm glad your Luau was successful. Do you mind if I post a follow up on this thread?

MadDogMike - or should I post on the back yard Imu thread?

The Backyard Imu would be a perfect place for that, I'd love to see how that turns out.

M

UnclePat post away.

UP

I will post away. The Luau is Nov. 5th, so I have a month to figure out how to post pics. I've been lurking around TC for 10 years and never got the hang of posting pictures. I know there are a couple of how-to threads out there.

Pages: 1 9 replies