Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 9-21-16 George Gershwin

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: September 21, 2016

On this week’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show we celebrated the natal debut of George Gershwin, who was born on September 26, 1898 and who died much too young at the age of 39. But during his short span on this mortal coil he managed to create some of the most glorious music in both the known and unknown universes.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast every Wednesday, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Oh Lady Be Good” came from the collection: Sol Hoopii in Hollywood – His First Recordings 1925. It was composed by George and Ira Gershwin for the 1924 Fred and Adele Astaire Broadway musical: Lady Be Good, featuring Mr. Hoopii on Lap Steel Guitar and Vocal.

2. “Somebody Loves Me” was composed by George Gershwin, Ballard MacDonald and Buddy DeSylva for the Broadway revue: George White's Scandals of 1924. This 1936 version was by Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards with Andy Iona & His Islanders and was picked from the CD Box Set: With My Little Ukulele in My Hand.

3. “They Can’t Take That Away From Me,” By George and Ira Gershwin for the 1937 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie: Shall We Dance and nominated for Academy Award, recorded in 1957 by Billie Holiday and taken from the amorous anthology: In the Mood for Love.

4. “I Got Rhythm” by George and Ira Gershwin for the 1930 movie: Girl Crazy, in a version that appears on the celebratory CD: Gershwin 100, by the conductor and arranger Matt Catingub who also performs on Vocal and Alto Sax.

5. “Embraceable You,” also written by written by George and Ira for Girl Crazy, recorded by Connie Francis for the soundtrack of the 1965 movie: When The Boys Meet the Girls, and drawn from the copious collection: Somewhere Over the Rainbow: The Golden Age of Hollywood Musicals.

6. “Soon,” the song George and Ira wrote for the 1930 Broadway musical: Strike Up the Band, recorded by famed clarinetist Artie Shaw in 1945 and found on his righteous retrospective: The Best of Artie Shaw.

7. “Do It Again,” composed by George Gershwin and Buddy DeSylva for the 1920 Broadway musical: The French Doll, found on the 1957 lascivious LP: Beverly Kenney Sings for Playboys, with Ms. Kenney on Vocal supported by Ellis Larkins on Piano and Joe Benjamin on Bass.

8. “It Ain't Necessarily So” by George and Ira Gershwin from the 1935 Broadway musical: Porgy & Bess, was recorded by The Oscar Peterson Trio, with Mr. Peterson on Piano, Barney Kessel on Electric Guitar and Ray Brown on Bass, and comes from the Peterson CD titled: Standards.

9. “'S Wonderful” was written by George and Ira Gershwin for the 1927 Broadway musical: Funny Face, was later used in the 1957 movie version and also appeared in the Gene Kelly 1951 movie: An American in Paris, and was sung by Tierney Sutton on her scintillacious CD: I’m With the Band, supported by Trey Henry and Kevin Axt on Bass and Ray Brinker on Drums. Recorded live in 2005 at Birdland in New York City.

10. “Love Walked In” was inked by George and Ira for the 1938 movie musical: The Goldwyn Follies, and this version appears on the 1995 incomparable compact disc: Velvet & Brass, created by Mel Torme and Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass, including Guido Basso on Flugelhorn.

11. “How Long Has This Been Going On” was written by the Gershwin brothers for but removed from the Fred and Adele Astaire Broadway musical: Funny Face before its original run began in 1927, but used in the 1928 musical: Rosalie and later in the 1957 Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn movie version of Funny Face. This 1950s performance comes from the singer Carmen McRae’s horological look back: Setting Standards.

12. “I Got Plenty O' Nuttin'” was composed George Gershwin and DuBose Heyward for the 1935 musical: Porgy & Bess and is found on the ample anthology: Yes, I Can! The Sammy Davis Jr. Story, Disc One.

13. “Our Love Is Here to Stay” is from the 1938 movie: The Goldwyn Follies, and was sung by Ann Hampton Callaway on her self-titled 1992 sure-footed CD, arranged by Mike Renzi, who also appears on Piano, Jay Berliner on Classical Guitar, Mark Falchook on Synthesizer Programming, Chip Jackson on Bass and Terry Clarke on Drums.

14. “My Cousin in Milwaukee” was created for 1932 Broadway musical: Pardon My English and comes from the 1959 masterpiece: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George & Ira Gershwin Songbook, ably supported by Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra.

15. “Someone to Watch Over Me” was written by George and Ira Gershwin for the 1926 Broadway musical: Oh, Kay! and this 1950 version appears on the Art Tatum treasury titled: 20th Century Piano Genius, which was recorded at parties at the Beverly Hills home of Warner Brothers Studios musical director and multiple Academy Award nominee and three-time Oscar winner Ray Heindorf.

Pages: 1 0 replies