Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Steve Crane Help

Pages: 1 6 replies

S

Picked this up this a.m. at a flea market. I know its a Steve Crane and is marked as such, but what is its story? Is it a relatively new mug - its in absolutely beautiful condition with mild natural crazing and I have seen it in BOT, but have no idea about it!

http://www.tikitaky.com
Tiki Rules!

[ Edited by: scigirl on 2003-08-17 13:18 ]

I believe it's called a "SellittoBaasementKahuna" mug. They're very, very common. No one wants one. I'll help you out (since I like you) by giving you 20 bucks for it.

Seriously, that mug is a beast...very scarce. It will definitely crack the hundred mark, probably much more. It was used at the Luau in Beverly Hills. Nice score!

S

Thanks so much for the info! I almost, at first glance, thought it was some plastic Star Wars mug - it is still that vibrant! But then its image from BOT flashed into the tired ol' brain (this was 6:00 am, mind you)! And I won't even hold against it it's Beverly Hills history (my ex's family lives there). Nice treat for a Sunday...

Yahoo, Nice score! It's nice to hear that great pieces can still be found at flea markets.
Aloha
:tiki:

S

At this one flea market, I have found this mug, vintage Trader Vic's pieces, most of my Kowloon stuff and many other assorted items (also picked up today 4 kitchy Don Ho highball glasses - who can pass up the Ho?). I'm sure this source will dry up sooner or later as the general public is jumping on the Tiki bandwagon, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

M

Of every tiki mug I've seen (and I've seen most of what's out there), that one is my personal favorite. It's history, styling, and details make it a classic. I've heard that mug referred to in the past as the "Headhunter" mug. Another fairly rare Steve Crane mug, the red and yellow one with the big wide smile, I've heard referred to as the "Warrior" mug. Maybe someone else can confirm that...

My "headhunter" mug has pieces of loose ceramic fired inside the hollow portion of the mug (although it has no exterior breakage). I like it but I think that was done unintentionally. You can hear the pieces inside, so it's possible to create a little percussion while you're drinking. Of course I'm afraid to drink from mine because I don't trust myself with rare artifacts while I'm in an altered state. It's the perfect rumba cup.

Nice score!

ModMana :drink:

Pages: 1 6 replies