Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 1-11-17 My Wife's Birthday

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: January 11, 2017

On this week’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we honored the January 11 birthday celebration of the doctor’s delightful distaff half, the beauteous and talented Elinor.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast every Wednesday, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Alligator Crawl,” written by Joe Davis, Andy Razaf and Fats Waller and made famous in this 1927 version taken from The Best of Louis Armstrong: The Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings, with Armstrong on Trumpet, Johnny Dodds on Clarinet, Johnny St. Cyr on Banjo, Lil (Hardin) Armstrong on Piano, Peter Briggs on Tuba and John Thomas on Trombone.

2. The Willie Dixon composition “Pretty Thing” sung by John Hammond and capably collated on his collection: Best of the Vanguard Years, recorded in 1979 with the Washington, DC-based Band, The Nighthawks, who were Jimmy Thackeray on Electric Guitar; Mark Wenner on Harmonica; Jim Zukowski on Electric Bass and Pete Ragusa on Drums.

3. “Do You Remember?” composed by Nacio Herb Brown, recorded in 1955 by Eartha Kitt with Henri René and his Orchestra and included on sumptuous CD: Bluebird’s Best – Heavenly Eartha.

4. “Buona Sera,” inked in 1950 by Peter De Rose and Carl Sigman, waxed in 1956 and found on the reprobatical retrospective: Louis Prima – Complete Collectors Series, featuring Keely Smith on Vocal, Willie McCumber on Piano and Sam Butera on Tenor Sax.

5. “I Hadn't Anyone Till You,” the 1938 song by Ray Noble, performed by Doris Day on her 1956 well-lit LP: Day by Day.

6. “Two Different Worlds,” the 1956 song by Sid Wayne and Al Frisch taken from the 1966 auspicious album: Sammy Davis Jr. Sings and Laurindo Almeida Plays, including the talent-rich Mr. Almeida on Guitar.

7. “Your Molecular Structure” by Mose Allison from the collection: The Sage of Tippo originally on his 1968 LP: I’ve Been Doin’ Some Thinkin’, featuring Red Mitchell on Bass and Bill Goodwin on Drums.

8. “All Around the World” was written by Titus Turner and is drawn from the fond look back titled: Fever: The Best of Little Willie John, who performed it in 1955, spotlighting the talents of Willis Jackson on Tenor Sax. This song was included on the mix CD Elinor and I handed out to guests at our wedding 13 years ago.

9. “That's What Love Will Make You Do” was performed by Little Milton in 1972 and comes from the capacious compilation: Top of the Stax: 20 Greatest Hits.

10. “I'm So Proud” by The Impressions charted in 1964 and is driven and drawn from the automotivational anthology: Lowrider Oldies 5.

11. The Elton John classic “Your Song” was sweetly vocalized by Sugar Minott and is forensically found on the bulging box set: Reggae – The Definitive Collection: Songs of Freedom.

12. The Gnarls Barkley hit “Crazy” was interpolated by The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain on their vitally stable CD: Still Live, including David Suich, Peter Brooke Turner, Hester Goodman, George Hinchliffe, Richie Williams, Kitty Lux, Will Grove-White on Ukuleles and Jonty Bankes on Bass and Bass Ukulele.

13. “I Want to Be With You Always,” composed by Lefty Frizzell and Jim Cook, performed by John Prine on his Grammy awarded album: The Missing Years, includes Christina Amphlett on Backing Vocal.

14. “Alligator Sky” was written, sung and performed by Adam Young under the band name Owl City, derived from the unbefowled album: All Things Bright and Beautiful, featuring rapping by Shawn Chrystopher.

15. “Soft Landing,” found on the celebratory CD: The Now Sound of Ursula 1000

Pages: 1 0 replies