Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 1-25-17 Birthdays

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: January 25, 2017

On this week’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we will once again celebrate the birthdays of a generous gathering of musical artists who were born in the two-faced month of January.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Standard Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “How D'ya Do” was composed by our Birthday Boy, the Hawaiian master musician Andy Iona and appears on Owana Salazar’s auspicious album: Wahine Slack ‘N Steel, spotlighting the talents of Ms. Salazar on Steel Guitar, Zanuck Lindsey on Rhythm Guitar and Stephen James on Bass.

2. “Swingin' in the Key of C” was performed in 1939 by our Birthday Baby Slim Gaillard and is found on his bulging box set called: Laughing in Rhythm.

3. “(I’ve) Got an Uncle in Harlem,” the 1949 recording by birthday boy Hot Lips Page & His Orchestra from the CD: Hot Lips Page -- Jump for Joy!

4. “Cadillac Slim” the 1946 song composed by Birthday Boy Sid Catlett performed by Benny Carter & His Chocolate Dandies, featuring Benny Carter on Clarinet & Alto Sax; Buck Clayton on Trumpet, Ben Webster on Tenor Sax; Sid Catlett on Drums and Sonny White on Piano, taken from the collection: Buck Clayton -- Swingin’ With Buck.

5. “Let Me Off Uptown,” the Earl Bostic and Redd Evans song recorded in 1941 by Gene Krupa and His Orchestra, featuring birthday boys Gene Krupa on Drums and Roy Eldridge on Trumpet, who also shares vocal duties with Anita O’Day, from the Box Set: Young Anita.

6. “Some Like It Hot,” the song composed by Gene Krupa, Remo Biondi and Frank Loesser for the 1939 Bob Hope movie of the same name, which is no relation to the 1959 Billy Wilder movie, taken here from a 1959 recording arranged by birthday celebrant Marty Paich on the CD: Mel Torme -- The Art Pepper-Marty Paich Sessions, performed by Mel Torme & the Mel-Tones, Art Pepper on Alto Sax. Barney Kessel on Guitar, Victor Feldman on Vibes, Mel Lewis on Drums and another January Birthday Boy, Joe Mondragon on Bass.

7. “Mambo Ay Ay Ay” was waxed in the 1940s or ‘50s by our Natal Notable Xavier Cugat & His Orchestra, and appears on the historical document: Rough Guide to Mambo.

8. “Tin Tin Deo,” composed by Gil Fuller and birthday boy Chano Pozo and recorded in 1966 by Clark Terry & Chico O’Farrill on their album: Spanish Rice, featuring Clark Terry on Flugelhorn and birthday boy Grady Tate on Drums.

9. “Dexterity” was composed and performed in 1947 by our natal notable, the alto sax giant Charlie Parker and appears on his insightful look back: The Legendary Dial Masters, Vol. 1, featuring Miles Davis on Trumpet; Duke Jordan on Piano; Tommy Potter on Bass and fellow Birthday Boy Max Roach on Drums.

10. “R-Vingt-Six” also was recorded in the late forties by our natal numinaries guitarist Django Reinhardt and Violinist Stephane Grappelli, and appear on Mr. Reinhardt’s righteous retrospective: Only the Best.

11. Our Birthday Girl Eartha Kitt sings “I'm a Funny Dame,” composed by Matt Dubey and Harold Karr for the 1956 Ethel Mermen Broadway vehicle: Happy Hunting, and found on felinical louche LP released that same year aptly titled: Miss Kitt, To You.

12. “Lester Leaps In,” inked in 1939 by alto sax master Lester Young, was recorded by our Birthday Girl, the renowned jazz pianist Barbara Carroll on her labor of love: This Heart of Mine, with Jerome Richardson on Sax, Art Farmer on “Flumpet,” which is described as a cross between a Trumpet and a Flugelhorn, Jay Leonhart on Bass and Joe Cocuzzo on Drums.

13. “But Beautiful” was written by our Birthday Boy and composer Jimmy Van Heusen and the lyricist Johnny Burke for the 1947 movie: The Road to Rio, where it was warbled by Dorothy Lamour, sung here for us in 1958 by Johnny Hartman with the support of bandleader and arranger Rudy Taylor, released on the 1966 expansive album: I Love Everybody.

14. “Marchin' the Blues” was composed by our January Birthday celebrant Melba Liston and Quincy Jones and appears on his 1959 landmarkable LP: The Birth of a Band – Complete Edition, featuring Sam "The Man" Taylor on Tenor Sax and Ms. Liston on trombone.

15. “The Folks Who Live on the Hill” was composed by our January Birthday Boy Jerome Kern with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II for the1937 movie: High, Wide, and Handsome, and was performed in 1966 for the outstanding album: Sammy Davis Jr. Sings and Laurindo Almeida Plays, with Mr. Almeida of course on Guitar.

16. “I'll See You in My Dreams” was composed in 1924 by our Birthday Boy Isham Jones with lyrics by Gus Kahn, and was recorded in 1945 by Ella Fitzgerald & Her Special Servers, who were Charlie Shavers on Trumpet, Lou McGarity on Trombone, Peanuts Hucko on Clarinet, Al Sears on Tenor Sax, Buddy Weed on Piano, Remo Plamieri on Electric Guitar, Trigger Alpert on Bass and band leader Buddy Rich on Drums, and this appears on the historical document from World War II: V-Disc All Stars – With the Singers.

Pages: 1 0 replies