Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 2-15-17 Birthdays

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: February 15, 2017

On this week’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we once again celebrated the birthdays of a generous gathering of musical artists who were born in the fabulous month of February.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast every Wednesday, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 pm GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Tiger Rag,” The 1917 song by the Original Dixieland Jass Band, whose recording was considered first jazz record, was performed for us by our Birthday Boy Roy Smeck’s Trio, including Smeck on Ukulele, found on the digital delight: With My Little Ukulele in My Hand.

2. “My Little Blue Heaven,” was written in 1928 by Richard Whiting and our Birthday Celebrant Walter Donaldson and recorded by Jimmie Tarlton, and was taken from the ironic anthology: Slidin' on the Frets: The Hawaiian Steel Guitar Phenomenon.

3. “Chimes Blues” was waxed in 1923 by King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band, featuring our Natal Notable Lil Hardin, the future wife of Louis Armstrong, on Piano, with Armstrong on Cornet, Honore Dutrey on Trombone, Johnny Dodds on Clarinet, Bill Johnson on Banjo and Baby Dodds On Drums and Chimes, found on the selective CD: Louis Armstrong – Ken Burns Jazz.

4. “Squeeze Me,” the 1925 song by Fats Waller and Andy Razaf, was recorded in 1935 by our Birthday Girl and drawn from on her historical document: Mildred Bailey – Cocktail Hour Series, featuring Bunny Berigan on Trumpet and Teddy Wilson on Piano.

5. “Twilight Rag” was composed and performed by our January Birthday Master on his fond look back: The Original James P. Johnson – 1942-1945 Piano Solos.

6. “Chew Chew Chew (Your Bubble Gum)” by our Natal Numinary, the drummer and leader of the house band at the Savoy Ballroom, Chick Webb just weeks before his death, and is found on his celebratory CD: Standing Tall. Also featured on this track was a 22-year-old Ella Fitzgerald.

7. “Easy Living,” written by Ralph Rainger and Leo Robin for the 1937 movie of the same name, was performed in 1949 by our Birthday Boy, the Tenor Sax Master Wardell Gray, and appears on the busy box set: The Wardell Gray Story, with Al Haig on Piano, Tommy Potter on Bass and Roy Haynes on Drums.

8. “If I Love Again,” by Ben Oakland and Jack Murray for the 1933 Broadway musical: Hold Your Horses, was recorded in 1960 on Anita O'Day’s uncategorical LP: Incomparable! was arranged and conducted by Bill Holman, featuring the talents of Lou Levy on Piano and our Birthday Boy Joe Mondragon on Bass.

9. “Takin' Off” was performed in 1945 by Sir Charles Thompson and His All Stars, who were Buck Clayton on Trumpet, Charlie Parker on Alto Sax, our Birthday Boy Dexter Gordon on Tenor Sax, Sir Charles Thompson on Piano, Johnny Butts on Bass and J.C. Heard on Drums. This was found on righteous retrospective: Buck Clayton – Swingin’ With Buck.

10. “My Baby Just Cares for Me,” the song composed by Gus Kahn and Walter Davidson for the 1930 movie version of the 1928 Ziegfeld Broadway musical comedy: Whoopee! was assayed by our Natal Notable Nina Simone on Vocal and Piano, and appears on her scintillacious CD of the same name as the song.

11. “Aloha Amigo” was drawn with swizzle sticks from our Birthday Boy’s apt album: The Exotic Sounds of Arthur Lyman, featuring Mr. Lyman on Vibraphone.

12. The appropriately titled tune “Bobo” was inked by the pianist Wynton Kelly and appears on his clangorous compact disc: Undiluted + It’s All Right!, featuring Mr. Kelly and the rest of the Miles Davis Quintet rhythm section from the classic “Kind of Blue” recording session in 1959, including Paul Chambers on Bass and Jimmy Cobb on Drums, with additional contributions from Rudy Stevenson on Flute and our Birthday Celebrant and the song’s honoree, Willie Bobo on Percussion.

13. “Corcovado,” also called “Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars,” was composed in 1960 by Antonio Carlos Jobim with English Lyrics added later by our February Birthday Boy Gene Lees, who also served as a noted jazz journalist and historian, and appears on the Tenor Sax player Jim Tomlinson’s 2005 verbal album: The Lyric, featuring his special spouse Stacey Kent on Vocal and spotlighting the talents of David Newton on Piano, Dave Chamberlain on Bass and Matt Skelton on Drums.

14. “Makika” or “Mosquito” was waxed by another natal numinary, the Hawaiian slack-key guitar master Keola Beamer on his peak project: Mauna Kea – White Mountain Journal.

15. “Anything Goes,” the Cole Porter classic from the 1934 Broadway musical of the same name, comes from the 1957 lithesome LP: Gerry Mulligan Meets Stan Getz, featuring the February Birthday Boy Getz on Tenor Sax, Mr. Mulligan on Baritone Sax, Lou Levy on Piano, Ray Brown on Bass and Stan Levey on Drums.

Pages: 1 0 replies