Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Resurrection of the Hawaiian Room (Sat., Sept. 20th)

Pages: 1 2 3 98 replies

A great time indeed! Mike et al did a fantastic job of dusting that little tiki jem off and dressing her all up for the evening.

We had a great time playing our sets for a very appreciative crowd. I can only wonder when the last time a hapa haole band played that house.

Was great to meet new TC'rs also (see Bong's not a complete a-hole, well... maybe)

Let's plan a gig at this tiki hut again, maybe sometime in the future, eh?

'A thing of Tiki is a joy forever'

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-09-21 19:39 ]

What a great place the Hawaiian Room is!! I liked it as much as Sam's. The place was packed with happy tiki people. The Menehunes were wonderful, as usual. Mike, a great idea and great execution.

What a great time we had! The place looked fabulous. Even though it was our first time there, my wife and I felt we could acurately determine the tremendous effort that went into the evening's "facelift". The TikiFarm mug looks great. There was such a concentration of Tiki Central personalities present, that it turned into a nice opportunity to put faces to a lot of names. This was the perfect counter to the long, hot, somewhat stressful day we had at D-land. Just what the (Witch)Doctor ordered. Frijolitos...Sabu, you are one hilarious coconut boy.
TikiTimbo

M

How Many TC er's can one bar hold? Or should I say "build it and they will come".

What a night!
The event was packed. Standing, or leaning, room only was the atmosphere for the Kava ceremony/Tiki presentation. The event even had a front row heckler (Loco locals).

I don't think that the HR has had a packed house in years. The bartender tried very hard to accommodate everyone’s needs. Candi (Owner) even got behind the bar to make her own versions of Tropical Drinks (Rum, tequila, pineapple & grenadine = Scorpion).
:drink:

Many thanks to the hula girls for being sports and performing behind the bar... At least they weren't on the bar... eh?

Tim: I owe you 101 Mai Tais for stepping up to the bar and aiding as a bar back. You da man.

A BIG Mahalo to the crew that helped with the face-lift.

Traderpup: Your handyman skills and tolerance for 30-year-old dust were greatly appreciated. My brother-in-law was very impressed with your kava making skills.

Utopian Dream: Both you and Dave are wonderful. I can't wait to sample the homemade tikibeer. Please keep in touch.

Smoken' Menehunes: To quote my sista's, "Do they have a CD. They are really good"
Good indeed! Thanks for breathing life back into the HR. I am a definite believer.
Bong, Your parents were very proud.

Artist: Crazy Al, Seamus, Octane, ChikiTiki Diablo, Bong Leach Crew & Johnny Velour. You should definitely have a rotating tiki exhibit. Thanks for entrusting me with your art. You are all true braddahs.

TikiFarm (Holden): Thanks for creating such a nice mug. The colors were exactly what I expected. Other than the 2 I have on reserve, We sold out.

TikiCentral Familia: You are the funest-est group of people that I have ever partied with. Thanks for supporting the event.

Hawaiian Room Owners, Candi & Monroe, were ecstatic about having TC er's visit the bar. Monroe told me that he originally bought the bar because he loved the decor.
He is happy to see that the appreciation of tiki is alive and thriving.

I recommended that he keep the front area as "Tikified" as possible, to always have a bottle of Passion Fruit Syrup on hand, and a mixture of Martin Denny & Petty Booka on the Juke. He agreed.

After we uncovered the video games and plugged in the dartboards. I couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction. The spirit of tiki has defiantly returned to the Hawaiian Room.

Monroe would like to have the group back once a year. He also wants to invite everyone over for Candi's famous Korean Barbeque and Kim Chi.

Needless to say, Tiki Central will always have a home at the Hawaiian Room.

Muy Many Mahalo's
MTKahuna
:tiki:

Ressurection of the Hawaiian Room
September 20, 2003 @ 8:00pm
9875 East Alondra
Bellflower, CA 90706

[ Edited by: MTKahuna on 2003-09-22 16:51 ]

M

I feel like we really missed a cool event here. :( After a sleepless night before and a hectic day at Disney, Mrs. Modmana and I were already burnt out beyond belief. We reluctantly drove back to SD instead of going to the Hawaiian Room but knew we would probably end up regretting it. Even so, we still appreciate what was done there and applaude all who were involved! This is a true example of the spirit of Tiki!

MTKahuna, email me if you still want to work out that deal that we spoke of last week. I've got others who are asking for this stuff so let me know soon. Thanks.

ModMana :drink:

What a blast! The decor was great! I want to thank MT Kahuna for having our band play and for the free booze. Thank you all for the kind words.

Here are a couple of pics that my girlfriend took of the band and the decor at the Hawaiian Room.

Menehune bass player Miguel, Doctor Z, and the very elusive LAPU ROCKER / Skinny Jim

I think this is about the only wide shot where you can get a little bit of an idea about the inside of the Hawaiian Room featuring Vintage Girl. I was too busy playing to be able to shoot the whole place and all the people that showed up. Maybe someone else took some pics that they'll post.

Bong concentrating on the steel guitar.

Me & Shirley, our ultra talented uke/ guitar/ and conga player. She also plays like, piano, accordion, violin, french horn and all kinds of other instruments like the souzaphone.

Me and my big ol' Gretsch. Ain't she pretty.

What a bunch of fun and a cool idea. Where's the next resurection?

Post more pics.

Mike, great job! not much else I can say-SCD already hit most of it!

What an amazing place! I'm ready to go back there anytime. Please tell Candi and Monroe we understand about the long wait for drinks, they're only used to sleepy, BEER drinking bar flies. But nest time I'm only waiting 15 minutes before I start crying!!!!
Oh yeah, I don't think Pup chewed the kava long enough, My tongue was only slightly numb? Thanks to everyone involved for the food, music (the Smoken' Menehunes even played my request!), atmosphere and the cheap feel of Floratina.

Spike, Nice shot of my ass- you da man!

That was you?
I'll slap you later. :)

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-09-22 22:07 ]

That's the reason I posted it.

Menehune bass player Miguel, Doctor Z, and the very elusive LAPU ROCKER / Skinny Jim

Hey, doesn't Lapu Rocker aka Skinny Jim look like Eddie Haskle on 'Leave it To Beaver'?

What a great little joint! Everyone involved with the resurrection did such a wonderful job. We should definintely bombard that place again. However, we should give them some advance notice, so they can get a little more help behind the bar. Having bartended in the past, my heart did go out to the lone bartender and the poor woman who helped out--wearing the high heels! Ouch!

Noticing the growing crowd around the bar, I’m embarrassed to say that I played it safe and ordered Salty dogs–figured, one type of alcohol, one type of juice, couldn’t go wrong. I think I had about 5 of them, so it might have been me grabbing a couple of asses. Sorry!

It was my first Tiki Central event, and my wife and I had a great time.

M

More Pictures:

Tiki Mug by TikiFarm

The Banana Tiki Mug

http://www.shutterfly.com/order/pictures.jsp?aid=67b0de21b3883173e403
:tiki:

ACK!
Tikivixen, don't look!!!!
SPELL CHECK, SPELL CHECK, SPELL CHECK!!!!!!!

H

Oh, it hoits, it hoits!! But maybe the error will just make them more interesting to collectors, like those stamps with the plane printed upside-down.

Wish I coulda been there, guys, I was so close!! Sounds like it was a blast, folks were talking about it the whole week I was down there.

The best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed
The Humuhumu Room

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2003-09-24 16:38 ]

M

I Know... I Know....
And to think we both looked up the proper spelling.
Arrr... I'll never give Holden a 1.5 week notice again.

I like the mistake and the mug... It's really a collectable now

Be Careful... the tikies are watching

[ Edited by: MTKahuna on 2003-09-24 17:26 ]

Thanks MTK for all the effort. As you can see from the pictures, Lady Velour was having the time of her life. She told me on Sunday she had a Fun hangover.

H

On 2003-09-24 16:49, MTKahuna wrote:
I like the mistake and the mug... It's really a collectable now

True... I think the mistake gives it a human touch, and makes it look that much more like a labor of love.

It's only an extra 'S'. Look at it this way, you got more for your money!

(isn't a 'resurrection' when you can knock it off twice in a row?)

The Spelling wasn't so wrong after a few drinks.

M

On 2003-09-25 10:43, Tiki Bird wrote:
The Spelling wasn't so wrong after a few drinks.

I double "S"ed when I should have double "R"ed. Or did I double "Z"?

Here's a link to some pix. I was able to get some photos of the bar before it got crowded!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AcNW7lw0btGJS
(updated broken link)

[ Edited by: UtopianDreem 2013-07-16 12:53 ]

M

Beth,
Thanks for posting more pics. I'm glad you remembered.

Cheerz

M

Photos from Rebecca & Dave (Purple Orchid)
Muchas Gracis

Dr. Z & Rebecca

The Z's

Al

MTKahuna

Johnnie Valour

ChikiTiki Diablo

CheekyGirl & Vintage Girl

FloraTina & Laney

Sabu the Coconut Boy

Smokin' Bong

BaxDog

Rebecca & Vintage Girl

Haneli Pirate, Dr. Z, & CheekyGirl

The Valours

Lady Z

Shelly: Up Close & Personal

SugarCaddyDaddy

Dr. Z, VG, & Dave

Ardell: Stressed-Out Bartender

Thanks for the great photos...
Look for the Hawaiian Room on the
Filth... I mean Fifth Wheel Dating Show

Be Careful... the tikies are watching

[ Edited by: MTKahuna on 2003-10-06 12:05 ]

HEY, no fair havin' so much fun without me dammit.

CJ

How about another event/gathering?!?! I seems like this place is more of a mid way for people. I was amazed after checking out the decor for the 1st time today.

sure,
just make sure the 65 year old transvestite Karaoke singer is off that night.
yikes!!!!
:o

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-03-07 13:23 ]

I'm up for it! A small event would great here. It is a half way point for a lot of people. The place is small but has a great look. I wish othere would hit this place after work. I'm trying to make it a point to come at least once a week.

CJ

I'm in for the once a week.

it blows my mind that this event was almost 6 years ago...

damn how time flies

Gees...time does fly...

Here's the mug from the event...

6 years ago?? Geeze....
That was a great mug too.....

Do it again! Please?

On 2009-03-09 13:22, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
Do it again! Please?

uuuhh, huh huh huh.

sorry Butthead moment there.
:roll:
Jeff(bigtikidude)
yes my mind is in the gutter

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-03-09 16:54 ]

Another event and another great mug winkwink*!

What about this weekend or next week, drinks after work or 2pm whichever?

I'm booked thru the end of the month with Tikiyaki show prep. How about planning one in April - give us some time to rally the troops?

H

Post removed until further notice.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2009-03-16 00:32 ]

Sweet!!! Its gonna be a blast. I wonder if we could get someone to play a show there?

I am so "forum challenged"... I started reading this thread thinking MTKahuna was going to do it all over again, when all the sudden I came across my post from 2003 right in the middle of the thread. I finally figured out you guys "bumped" it - anyway, if I recall, didn't MTKahuna have to talk the owners into it? I'm sure they never made so much money in their lives that night. It was something to remember! So it probably wouldn't take much convincing, that is, if it's the same owners. So are you guys just talking about showing up and having a drink, or transforming it for an event like the last time? From what I remember, the interior had really just degenerated to a pool-hall type bar/dive and without the magic touch of the tiki community, I don't think this place is worth a visit (am I wrong?). Its definitely centrally located. Has anyone been out there though since 6 years ago - does it even still exist?

Been there a few times in the past few year.
interesting enough to look at say,
wow this place must have been cool back in the day.
I'm sure they don't know how to make a tropical drink of any great quality.
and the Regulars look at you, like are you lost?

I don't see how a big or small gathering would be anything more than,
well lets put up with these weird tiki people for a night and take their money.

but that's just me.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

It's been so long ago, I can't remember if any of TC'ers stepped behind the bar to make the drinks or if we just drank whatever they were able to make. And I don't remember what happened to my pictures from that night:( maybe they were taken with a film camera (which would explain why I am not sure where they would be).

I could see sending down a reconnaissance group to see if the owners would be into having another event there. To anyone willing to take it on as a project, be prepared for a lot of work.

Lets just make it a group gathering to meet for some drinks at one of the few vintage tiki-bar in southern California.

April 18th is good for me! I haven't been here before, so it's an adventure! I love adventures and divey tiki bars. All good. :wink:

On 2009-03-16 00:33, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
April 18th is good for me! I haven't been here before, so it's an adventure! I love adventures and divey tiki bars. All good. :wink:

Sorry Kiki, I was just informed (by someone you know) that April 18th won't work. But keep that date open. :wink:

As far as a Hawaiian Room event y'all will have to come up with another date.

What? Something else happening on that day? Who's there? Beuller?

Believe me, the Bigger Event on April the 18th is gonna be waaaay better than hanging out at the Hawaiian Room.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ok, I'm keeping the calendar clear. But I still want to go to the Hawaiian Room.

Pages: 1 2 3 98 replies