Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 3-22-17 Broadway!

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: March 22, 2017

On this week’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we took a leisurely stroll down the Great White Way to celebrate the music that hailed from or simply hailed the theatrical temples of Broadway.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast every Wednesday, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 pm GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Oh Lady Be Good” was composed by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1924 Fred & Adele Astaire Broadway musical: Lady Be Good, and is found on the fond look back: Sol Hoopi’i in Hollywood – His First Recordings 1925, featuring Mr. Hoopi’i on Lap Steel Guitar and Vocal.

2. “Lulu's Back in Town” was written by Al Dubin and Harry Warren for the 1935 movie: Broadway Gondolier and was recorded on the 1957 LP: How About Uke – Lyle Ritz Plays Jazz Ukulele, with Don Shelton on Flute, Red Mitchell on Bass and Gene Estes on Drums.

3. “Poor Butterfly” was composed by John Golden and Raymond Hubbell for the 1916 Broadway musical: The Big Show and was sung in late 1940s or early 1950s by Al Hibbler with Ben Webster on Tenor Sax, and was featured on Hibbler’s later conglomeration titled: Solitude.

4. “It's Delovely” sprung from the brow of Cole Porter for the 1936 Broadway musical: Red, Hot and Blue and was sung by Sarah Vaughan, drawn with swizzle sticks from the swank collection: Stylish Songs for Unforgettable Gals.

5. The Cole Porter song “I Get a Kick Out of You” from the 1934 Broadway musical and 1936 & 1956 movie versions of Anything Goes, come from the anthemic anthology: Bobby Troup Sings Troup, Mercer and More, with Mr. Troup on Vocal and Piano, joined by Howard Roberts on Electric Guitar, Bob Enevoldsen on Bass and Don Heath on Drums, recorded in front of an audience in the studio in Pasadena, California in 1955.

6. “My Heart Belongs to Daddy” the Cole Porter hit from the 1938 show: Leave It to Me! was waxed in 1961 by Bobby Troup’s wife Julie London and this appears on her reticulated retrospective: Ultra-Lounge Wild, Cool and Swingin.’

7. “Why Do I Love You” was created by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein II for the 1927 landmark musical: Showboat, and was recorded in 1958 by the arranger Bob Thompson on his admirable album: Just for Kicks, featuring Ted Nash on Alto Sax and Larry Bunker on Vibes.

8. “Dancing in the Dark” was composed by Arthur Schwartz and Howard Dietz originally for the 1931 Broadway revue and the 1953 movie musical: The Band Wagon, found on the historical document: Tony Bennett Jazz. This 1961 version was arranged and conducted by Ralph Burns and spotlighting the talent of Eddie Costa on Vibes.

9. “Just One of Those Things” is another Cole Porter classic confected for the 1935 Broadway musical: Jubilee, and comes from the singer and pianist Blossom Dearie’s 1957 louche LP: Give Him the Ooh-La-La, ably supported by Herb Ellis on Electric Guitar, Ray Brown on Bass and Jo Jones on Drums.

10. “Get Out of Town” was cooked up by Cole Porter for the 1938 Broadway musical: Leave It to Me! and vibrantly vocalized by Mavis Rivers on her 1962 collaborative LP: Mavis Meets Shorty, featuring Shorty Rogers on Flugelhorn, arranged and conducted by Chuck Sagle, with the able assistance of Dick Grove on Piano and Red Callendar on Tuba, Al McKibbon on Bass, Larry Bunker on Bongos, and Alvin Stoller and Earl Palmer on Drums.

11. “Cool” was performed in 1962 by the pianist and Exotica pioneer Martin Denny of course comes from the 1957 Broadway musical West Side Story, composed by Leonard Bernstein, and is found on the copious compilation: Ultra-Lounge Mondo Hollywood – Movie Madness From Tinsel Town.

12. “Do It Again” was concocted by George Gershwin and Buddy DeSylva for the 1920 musical: The French Doll, and comes from the 1958 amazing album: Beverly Kenney Sings for Playboys, accompanied by Ellis Larkins on Piano and Joe Benjamin on Bass.

13. “Half as Big as Life” was composed by Burt Bacharach and Hal David for the 1968 Broadway musical: Promises, Promises, and is sung by Liz Callaway on her beatitudinal album: The Beat Goes On, with Alan Rybeck on Piano, Grant Geissman on Guitar, Dennis Farias and Darrell Gardner on Trumpets, Bob Carr and Phil Feather on Reeds, Gary Tole on Trombone, Amy Wilkins on Harp, Stephanie Mijanovish and Jean Marinelli on French Horns, Trey Henry on Bass and Ed Smith on Drums.

14. “Peg O' My Heart” was written by Fred Fisher for the Broadway revue: Ziegfield Follies of 1913, and was performed by The Three Suns, appearing on the cornucopious compilation: Space-Age Cocktail Lounge.

15. The classic song “Taste of Honey” was written by Bobby Scott and Ric Marlow for the 1960 Broadway version of the 1958 London play of the same name, and is performed by The Exotics on their swank CD: Go Go Guitars, with Doug Chasteen on and Paul Wall on Electric Guitars, Jack Stewart on Organ, Jonathon Ziegler on Bass and Donald Nelson on Drums.

16. “She Was Too Good to Me” was introduced by Rodgers & Hart in the tryouts of their 1930 Broadway musical: Simple Simon, but was dropped before the show's opening in New York. This version by Pink Martini on their scintillacious CD Get Happy, features Robert Taylor on a Chet Baker-like Vocal and Trombone solo, band leader Thomas M. Lauderdale on Piano, and is based on a Don Sebesky arrangement for Chet Baker.

17. “Softly, as in a Morning Sunrise” was written by Sigmund Romberg and Oscar Hammerstein II for the 1928 Broadway musical: Roberta and is sung for us by Tierney Sutton on her inclusive compact disc: I’m With the Band, Recorded live at Birdland in New York City in 2005, featuring Christian Jacob on Piano, Trey Henry and Kevin Axt on Bass, and Ray Brinker on Drums.

Pages: 1 0 replies