Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 5-10-17 Astaire

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: May 10, 2017

On today’s show we celebrated the stylish life and good works of Fred Astaire, who was born on May 10th, 1899 in Omaha, Nebraska, and who made outstanding contributions to the arts of cinema, dance, acting, fashion and music. We also will encapsulate the work of some of his capable creative collaborators and fiercesome followers.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast every Wednesday, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Oh, Lady Be Good” the 1925 recording by Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards, written by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1924 Broadway show of the same name starring the brother & sister team of Fred & Adele Astaire and co-starred Ukulele Ike, taken from the CD Box Set: With My Little Ukulele in My Hand.

2. “Let's Call the Whole Thing Off” by Fred Astaire from his collection: The Great American Songbook, composed by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1937 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie: Shall We Dance.

3. “They Can't Take That Away From Me,” also composed by George and Ira Gershwin for Shall We Dance, taken from The Quintessential Billie Holiday, Volume 4: 1937, including Teddy Wilson on Piano, Eddie Tompkins on Trumpet (killed during WWII); Buster Bailey on Clarinet; Joe Thomas on Tenor Sax; Carmen Mastren on Guitar; John Kirby on Bass and Alphonse Steele on Drums.

4. “I Love a Piano,” the 1915 song by Irving Berlin that was later sung and danced by Judy Garland and Fred Astaire in the 1948 movie: Easter Parade, and this version appears on the 1960 lively LP: Like Love spotlighting the pianistic talents of the arranger and conductor Andre Previn.

5. “This Heart of Mine” was inked by Harry Warren and Arthur Freed for the 1946 movie: Ziegfield Follies, where it was introduced by Fred Astaire. This 1945 recording by singer Maxine Sullivan appears on her amorous album: Say It With a Kiss, featuring the Teddy Wilson Quintet, including Mr. Wilson on Piano, Red Norvo on Vibes, Charlie Shavers on Trumpet, Billy Taylor on Bass and Morey Field on Drums.

6. “The Carioca” by Vincent Youmans, Gus Kahn and Edward Eliscu appeared in the 1933 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie: Flying Down to Rio, and was performed for us by Martin Denny on his 1959 lyrical LP: Exotic Sounds From the Silver Screen.

7. “Nice Work If You Can Get It” was composed by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1937 Fred Astaire, George Burns and Gracie Allen movie: A Damsel in Distress and this 1957 version can be found on the copacetic collection: Carmen McRae Sings the Great American Songwriters.

8. 1 “Fascinating Rhythm” was performed by Matt Catingub from his CD: George Gershwin 100, and also came from the Adele & Fred Astaire & Cliff “Ukulele Ike” Edwards 1924 Broadway musical: Lady Be Good.

9. “Steppin' Out With My Baby” was composed by Irving Berlin for the 1948 Movie: Easter Parade, starring Astaire and Judy Garland, and was sung by Fred Astaire on his 1952 recording: Steppin’ Out – Astaire Sings, with Oscar Peterson on Piano, Charlie Shavers on Trumpet, Flip Phillips on Tenor Sax, Barney Kessel on Electric Guitar, Ray Brown on Bass and Alvin Stoller on Drums.

10. “Flying Down to Rio” appeared in the 1933 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie of the same name, and was composed by Vincent Youmans, Gus Kahn and Edward Eliscu. It was limned by the English Vibes Master Victor Feldman on his 1959 latinesque LP: Latinsville! with Conte Candoli on Trumpet, Frank Rosolino on Trombone, Walter Benton on Tenor Sax, Vince Guaraldi on Piano, Al McKibbon on Bass, Stan Levey on Drums, Willie Bobo on Timbales, Mongo Santamaria on Congas and Armondo Peraza on Bongos.

11. “How Long Has This Been Going On?” by George & Ira Gershwin was written for but removed from the 1927 Fred and Adele Astaire Broadway musical: Funny Face. It was later used in the 1928 musical: Rosalie and in the 1957 Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn movie version of Funny Face. This cover comes from the 1954 misspelled 10-inch album: Chris Connor Sings Lullabys of Birdland, with drummer Art Mardigan and the Vinnie Burke Jazz String Quartet.

12. “The Way You Look Tonight,” written by Jerome Kern and Dorothy Fields for the 1936 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie: Swing Time, performed by ukulele master Kawika Keakiali’i Alfiche on his CD: Nalei, accompanied by Mit Kamama ‘O Maurille on Piano.

13. “Pick Yourself Up,” sung by Ann Hampton Callaway on her 2004 CD: Signature, featuring Kenny Barron on Piano. The song was written by Dorothy Fields and Jerome Kern for the 1936 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie: Swing Time.

14. 1The Continental,” composed by Con Conrad and Herb Magdison for the 1934 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie: The Gay Divorcee, was performed in 1949 by Babs Gonzales from his collection: Real Crazy – A Proper Introduction to Babs Gonzales, featuring J.J. Johnson on Trombone; Art Pepper on Alto Sax; Herbie Steward on Tenor Sax and Wynton Kelly on Piano.

15. “He Loves and She Loves” originally appeared in the 1927 Broadway musical: Funny Face, where it was sung by Adele Astaire who appeared in the show with her brother, who in 1957 sang it in the film version of Funny Face. This came from the 1959 edificacious edition: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George & Ira Gershwin Songbook, orchestrated and conducted by Nelson Riddle.

16. “I'm Old Fashioned” was inked by Jerome Kern and Johnny Mercer for 1942 Fred Astaire movie: You Were Never Lovelier, and was played here by the Alto Sax Master Paul Desmond on his 1974 aptly titled album: Pure Desmond, with Ed Bickert on Electric Guitar; Ron Carter on Bass and Connie Kay on Drums.

Pages: 1 0 replies