Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Drunken Parrot Tiki Hut

Pages: 1 14 replies

Hello! I am new here and new to Tiki. My husband and I decided to build a small outdoor tiki bar in the corner of our backyard and now I find myself searching for all things tiki!! I am a pinup girl so getting into tiki was a natural "next step". Our bar is not finished yet, but the frame is up. We use pallets for the base and plan on wrapping it with bamboo and leaving some of the braces exposed for a rustic feel. It will always be a work in progress as we find new things to add. I will post a decorated picture in the next week or two. We are going to stain the wood brown and my husbank plans on torching the bar top and sealing it with polyurethane. We have a party planned for August 5 and it should be functional by then. Maybe not fully decorated but that will come in time.

Good start! Just make sure it has more Tikis than drunken parrots! :wink: Do we get to see pictures of the pin-up photo shoot when it's done? :D

Mad Dog:
Yes it will be more tiki than parrot!! We have one fake parrot that we will hang upside down. And a parrot bottle holder but that is it. We want the majority of the décor to be wooden tiki masks, tiki mugs, etc. We are probably going to mix in some Caribbean idols too like Taino Gods as we travel to the Dominican quite a bit.
Yes of course I will post the pin up photos when I have a shoot. :) I'm on IG under the same username too if you want to see some of my pictures.

Great start! That looks almost functional right now, you know, if there was an emergency tiki bar crisis and it had to be pressed into service! :wink:

What is it about tiki bars and pinups? My wife wants me to finish our project ASAP so she can use it as a background for pinup shoots (she's a photographer specializing in pinup and boudoir) and one only has to look at The Breezeway thread here to see where such notions entered her head!

[ Edited by: Prikli Pear 2017-07-20 13:01 ]

I've always been into pin up style, but usually just the classic look with the dresses and petticoats. I'm not sure how pin up fits with tiki. Pin up modeling is a great self-esteem booster and accepts all women, no matter their age or body shape. There are several photo shoots in my state each month doing pin up. Sadly the Tiki one was a few weeks ago, just before I "got into" tiki because of building the bar :)

You need one of these :lol:

My husband said he just ordered that parrot bottle holder!! So we will have that plus an upside-down parrot hanging from one of the rafters.
We wanted to see about a sign too but I'm thinking that will have to wait. I have an idea for an atomic-retro looking sign that I want to make sure not sure where to start or what materials to use. Similar to the lettering below, with "Tiki" as the word (of course) and the letters would be black, background would be red or aqua, and a black frame around each letter. I'd like it to be 3D using metal or wood.

Update: It is almost complete!! We put epoxy on the bar top and embedded labels on it, stained the whole thing, and we attached the bamboo to the front (it's not attached in the picture). We just have to decorate it and it will be ready for this weekend at our party.

Kool
Have fun
Cheers

Coming along nicely. That bar top looks classy. Can't wait to see the finished product. Be sure to post party pictures!

As far as your sign, you can get big cut-out wooden letters at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Font style is pretty limited. You can cut the diamonds out of plywood and paint them aqua. Paint the black trim on the diamonds or cut and attach a black molding border.

Looking great. How did your party go? :drink:

The party was great! Everyone loved the tiki bar. It's not as "authentic" as some of the fabulous bars I have seen on this forum but we are having fun with it. We showed the movie Moana outside at the party as well.

I'll bet your party was lots of fun! Great job on the bar, I just love builds. :) I'm sure you'll add more stuff, it's an addiction!!!

On 2017-08-07 06:02, BlondieBoomBoom wrote:
...It's not as "authentic" as some of the fabulous bars I have seen on this forum ...

Remember that those bars didn't get that way in 3 months. Looks like you had a great time.

Pages: 1 14 replies